Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

2014 Trashman/YS Classic

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trashman88
I love all this Trash . . . talk!!!!!

. . . This is going to be a GREAT RACE and I am Looking forward to seeing you all out there!!!!!!!!!!

JR
Trashman (Silver Trash Can peruser since way before 2014)
Yes, JR; we all know you do. We can't help but notice it, when you've already made this fact such a prominent statement on your Official Race-Team's logo:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Trashman Air Racing logo, small file, JPG.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	2032793  

Last edited by Iron Dog; 09-18-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:09 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could go to this.... perhaps next year...
Will it be the same time next year?
Would really like to attend one of these..
Old 09-16-2014, 05:12 PM
kochj

Has anyone used a ys1.60 and TF .60 corsair? Or do most go with a much less expensive plane?
Would love to pick up a YS 115 Warbird edition... and place that in a app. aircraft..
Old 09-16-2014, 05:26 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kochj I will be racing a big Tsunami next year with the largest YS I can use according to the rules.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:52 AM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weight is key. The size of plane and motor determine the class you want. There are rules with eng size per wing span and Sq In. If you are looking for a Gold class racer than no that set up will more than likely just be too bg to turn quick enough with the much smaller planes. It may work OK in Silver and would most definately be fine in Bronze. I would ask what class are you looking to punch your ticket on.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:12 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I already have my little Tsunami that can break out and I think my new 115 powered one will break out also. I also think the larger one would break out easily also.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:06 PM
MFLOOD3800

Yes Jeff the choice of airframe will be a big part, some are more draggy than others. I have seen a H9 60 size P51 with a YS 170 and it couldnt run in Gold. Perhaps your frame would be better. I would still stick with the smallest frame/biggest YS set up and run up front.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:10 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The 515 sq in 1.15 formula seems to be the ticket. My next goal is to get the airplane down to 6 lbs even. Will have to get a bit more creative on the fuse layup and maybe honeycomb the outer 1/3 of the wing. Fiberglass wing tips will be in the works soon though.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:47 PM
kochj

Thanks for the reply guys...
I have yet to get the plane together, and it is an ARF...so I would obviously have to modify accordingly to handle the ys 160?
Or would it do just fine with pinned hinges, CF control rods, and HD control horns and High Power servos?
Would I need to beef up the Vert/hor stabs??

Thanks..
Old 09-18-2014, 04:00 PM
JPGale

Originally Posted by kochj
Thanks for the reply guys...
I have yet to get the plane together, and it is an ARF...so I would obviously have to modify accordingly to handle the ys 160?
Or would it do just fine with pinned hinges, CF control rods, and HD control horns and High Power servos?
Would I need to beef up the Vert/hor stabs??

Thanks..
The hot stab, wing joints both should be beefed up, Glass the center of the wing as a minimum, maybe even carbon fibre. The hot stab needs to be beefed up to make more rigid, most people do some kind of balsa with carbon fibre skin for the hor stab. You should also look at the firewall to see if that will hold up, you may need more triangle stock or to glass the nose as well.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:59 PM
D.E.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
The 515 sq in 1.15 formula seems to be the ticket. My next goal is to get the airplane down to 6 lbs even. Will have to get a bit more creative on the fuse layup and maybe honeycomb the outer 1/3 of the wing. Fiberglass wing tips will be in the works soon though.
Why dont you just build a molded wing? You could probably do a 515 sq. in. wing that would be real strong around 19oz if you paint in the mold. I can make a Q40 wing painted at 14oz with cheap materials and no magic and a F5D wing at about 200 grams strong enough for 220 at 10mm thick at thickest part. Just turn out one of your regular wings as a plug and make a mold, might as well do a tail at the same time

You all have a good race, I enjoy watching the banter here, the only reason to come here anymore...
Dave E
Old 09-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tick tock all.... 12 hours to go. 36 hours and the winners will be crowned. See you all at the races.
Jimmy Skids
Old 09-22-2014, 01:36 PM
JPGale

I just wanted to say Thanks to JR and all at the SAM's club, it was a very fun weekend. I am looking forward to racing with you all next year, including the race at Redding.

Ollie, and any others, please share any good photos you got over the weekend.

Thanks

Bulldog
Old 09-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Iron Dog

James,

I will post the pictures taken with my camera (either by me or TommyGun -- thanks Tom for getting one of my races in there, too!) within the next couple of days.

Ollie
Old 09-22-2014, 03:49 PM
MFLOOD3800

Just got home!!
Glad that drive is over. JR and the crew you guys rock!!
It is worth every mile to come to such a well run race. The people are as good as any at any event Ive been to.
Congrats to the over all winners.
Thanks again to the great sponsors YS , APC and the rest.

By the way Speed, the wife is furious. I explained to her I won the A Main, she asked "wheres the trophy", so I tried to explain it. She doesnt understand that and doesnt believe I won anything. I am now sleeping the garage with my new Vendetta.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:58 PM
speedracerntrixie

Marty, as always it's great to have you there. As I have said multiple times the SAMs club is the best group of guys I have had the pleasure of competing with in my 30+ years of competitively flying R/C. The Trashman is such a great event especially when you throw in the treat of seeing some legends of the hobby come and play with us normal people. There really is no way I can express my gratitude to this group that they can truly understand how much all of them mean to me and my wife Virginia. As much as I wanted the championship I have to concede that I left my "A" game at home. Simple mistakes kept me out of it. I have had to tell the wife that it was a team loss as she took most of it on her shoulders. I reassured her that is not the case and the final cut in the main was all me as I was already in the turn as she called it.

In all it was a great weekend, I walked away with some personal satisfaction knowing that I can hang with you big boys and being around a group of people who truly understand the definition of friendship. Best of all is that I am able to share this aspect of my life with my best friend and caller
Old 09-22-2014, 06:16 PM
JPGale

Hey Marty,

It was awesome to meet you, the Sac club is just the best, I often wish I lived closer to them so I could fly with them more often. I hope to see you again sometime soon.

James
Old 09-22-2014, 06:23 PM
JPGale

Hey speed,

I totally agree with you about the SAM's guys, and to me you are one of the bunch of great guys as well as Trix being a great women. It is also so cool to have Chip and Tetsou (I will figure out how not to break out to him some time) racing with us.

Now the racing is done, the trash talk can be over. You have been flying and racing exceptionally well this year, it has been fun seeing you doing so well. Virginia really should not take it too hard, it really is a team effort to win at these races. At the end of the day we all have bad days at the races, lets face it I broke out as more than I won this weekend. There is always next year.

See you soon

James

Last edited by JPGale; 09-22-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:02 AM
speedracerntrixie

Holly has pictures up on her site. http://shanksphoto.smugmug.com/
Old 09-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Jimmy Skids

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Marty, as always it's great to have you there. As I have said multiple times the SAMs club is the best group of guys I have had the pleasure of competing with in my 30+ years of competitively flying R/C. The Trashman is such a great event especially when you throw in the treat of seeing some legends of the hobby come and play with us normal people. There really is no way I can express my gratitude to this group that they can truly understand how much all of them mean to me and my wife Virginia. As much as I wanted the championship I have to concede that I left my "A" game at home. Simple mistakes kept me out of it. I have had to tell the wife that it was a team loss as she took most of it on her shoulders. I reassured her that is not the case and the final cut in the main was all me as I was already in the turn as she called it.

In all it was a great weekend, I walked away with some personal satisfaction knowing that I can hang with you big boys and being around a group of people who truly understand the definition of friendship. Best of all is that I am able to share this aspect of my life with my best friend and caller
Speed,
You did well in Gold. Glad you made the jump and added to the fierce competition. There will be many wins in the future for you I am sure. But based upon your post it already looks like you have won (last line of your post). Great job this year and I look forward to flying against you next year.
Skids
Old 09-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Jimmy Skids

I too would like to extend a big thank you to all the workers and sponsors. Primarily I would like to thank JR Schiager (Trashman) for his leadership and dedication.

For our generous sponsors as well a huge thanks goes out to the primary 3 sponsors:

YS Engines - for donating 3 motors and 3 1/2 off certificates to pilots who finished in 1st and 3rd place in each division

JR Americas - for sponsoring the 2nd place pilot in each class..... I spoke with each pilot that won a radio and they were extremely happy!

APC - who sponsored fast time in each class with a generous prize fund and awards.

I personally ended up with a 2nd place in the years points challenge and just missed winning it all (first place for the weekend and the year) by less than a second (BREAKOUT) in the 4th round and of course having a cut.

On a personal note, I would like to thank my caller this year. Steve Nickerson, you the man. Thank you for the support and the solid effort.

Jim Smith (Skids.... not that other Jim Smith that is one of the best pilots out there.... you had to be at the event to know what I'm saying).
Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 PM
Iron Dog

Originally Posted by Iron Dog
James,

I will post the pictures taken with my camera (either by me or TommyGun -- thanks Tom for getting one of my races in there, too!) within the next couple of days.

Ollie
Originally, I had uploaded the pictures I took on Day 1 (Saturday) to PicasaWeb. I have since deleted my Google account, and my albums on that site have all been lost. The images are now viewable from this link:

https://irondogp39.imgur.com

I hope you enjoy them. I will post those taken on day two a little later -- I need to go to bed.

Ollie

Last edited by Iron Dog; 09-27-2014 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Invalid original link. Revised link to images.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:13 AM
joedonkey

I agree with everything, thanks to all you pilots for comic and putting on some great racing. Sorry I had voice issues, threw me off my game.my wife Tabitha and I had a great time! Congratulations to all you winners!!! Im excited to see Redding added towards the championship! See you all at the 2 minute tango. And most of all thank you for letting me be a part of it! I truly love being on the mic!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 AM
dan kelly

Nice pictures Ollie. Thanks for sharing them. Been looking for the race results in each class but nothing posted yet????
Old 09-25-2014, 10:10 AM
MFLOOD3800

Not sure of the of the official results but I do remember one announcer commenting that the best pilot out their was a guy named Jim Smith.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.