Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Warbird Champioship Event

Old 12-10-2014, 01:32 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Glue the tips on, sand flush, cover your wings overlapping the seam of the tip and wing 1/4", tape off the wing, prime/paint the tips.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was my plan, but I was only going to paint a stripe at the seam and leave the tips bare carbon fiber.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:20 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used 5.8 ounce carbon uniweave on my wing along with West systems. wing is pretty light at 39 ounces
Old 12-10-2014, 03:48 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rules will be done very soon. NOW we need a place. Come on guys.

Can we have this at the Fresno field? That is still close enough for the Arizona Racers. I think Marty should take a poll and see just how many guys from what area would ACTUALLY show up. This will provide him with a better idea of best location. I know that SAM could not allow the Electrics due to dry field and fire hazzard. However perhaps Woodland/Davis is a good location.

Dave
Old 12-10-2014, 03:51 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

I received an email from Lawrence T our Dist X Leader and he is excited about this event. He wants more info when we get it and desires to be there. Guys if you can help with the following asap:

Field location
Workers
Sponsors
Old 12-10-2014, 04:09 PM
dan kelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the Boy Scouts Marty? They're always working to obtain merit badges and a perfect source of "new blood". Has to be a pack somewhere in the vicinity. Just food for thought.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:14 PM
MFLOOD3800

Dan, thats an awesome Idea!!!

Oh and congrats on your series championship you are outstanding!!
Do you think any of you from your area would travel to attend this concept idea?
Old 12-10-2014, 04:28 PM
RACE 66

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another idea. Civil Air Patrol. There great to work with and have been very helpful for when we put on our Warbirds over Whatcom and our Big Bird meet. I to started Quickie racing in 80' at the B.A.R.K.S. flying site, Famoso.... Get a Spickler Quickie and a work horse .40 size common engine and go for it. My first race I was leading until a Formula 1 flyer dusted my tail feathers, still have the trophy, never get rid of the first one.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:30 PM
MFLOOD3800

We have looked into 3 fields and one has already set their 2015 calendar but we are pursuing the revison to allow us if they agree.
Another field has shown some interest and the club Pres is being approached.
BJ mentioned a full scale airport that has hosted other RC events and even some drag racing in the past, but club health ( # of members) seems to be an unknown

If we get more RCPRO interest we would look to keep the venue in a more desirable location centered for them and Nor cal guys to work with them. If not we will look more to the north. Again we want everybody, but we need input on interest like Dave said a poll would be helpful.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:35 PM
dan kelly

Thanks Marty. Not my idea originally. We had the cub scouts out at TIMPA for a 2 day hands on and the Scouts themselves brought up the subject of helping out. Not sure, but I think they have a merit badge in aviation or something like that. Just thought I'd pass it on since we're all getting older and we need more young people interested in our Hobby/Sport before it disappears like so many other activities have.

I know for sure my son and I would participate. As for the other guys......I think I could pull that off . Lets do it.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:10 PM
JPGale

Originally Posted by PLANEBENDER
The rules will be done very soon. NOW we need a place. Come on guys.

Can we have this at the Fresno field? That is still close enough for the Arizona Racers. I think Marty should take a poll and see just how many guys from what area would ACTUALLY show up. This will provide him with a better idea of best location. I know that SAM could not allow the Electrics due to dry field and fire hazzard. However perhaps Woodland/Davis is a good location.

Dave
Fresno, is a possibility they are a racing club, the pits are right on the flight line however. I think I still have the contact details of some of the guys there, Marty PM my your email address so I can shoot off an email to them and include you.

James
Old 12-10-2014, 05:58 PM
airraptor

Marty I am working on the woodland club. I will have an answer by this weekend on it. The woodland club is in a bit of a situation now. they need money and the events bring in that money. It cost a lot of money to keep that field going. the problem is a few members think there are to many events going on each year. I will talk to a few members tomorrow and get back with you.
Question are we looking to cap the racers at 80 and a cost of around 50 dollars each like it is now?
Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Does anyone have a connection to the Alameda Navy base? Plenty of room, no noise issues and close enough to SF to attract the family to come along.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Racer44dd

Being down here in SoCal, I don't know what other fields are up north except the SAMs guys and woodland davis. We have been to woodland davis for last years U.S. Scalemasters and it is a very nice field with lots of space, plus they do have EF-1 & Q500(424) races there every year so they're no strangers to air racing. But more guys further down south in California & Arizona might be more open to travel to this new race if it were closer in the middle like Bakersfield-ish. I'd like to say Castle AFB would be great spot since its not only the where IMAA had the giant scale ralley every year but is also smack dab in the center of Cal. However I'm not sure what's going to happen after the IMAA thing, but I thought rumor had it that even without IMAA that Castle will still hold the same giant scale event... not sure if they would hold a warbird race but its just a random thought from my mind.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:10 PM
MFLOOD3800

James my email is mflood3800 @ aol .c om

Castle is a good idea. Ill talk to Denny Baker. If someone knows Rick Maida please contact him about Castle as he CDs an event I believe at Castle.

Dave (Is this sr or jr by the way?)

I want it centered, but only if we have the participation from this area. Right now the majority is from Nor Cal, and there will almost certainly be 50 entries if we have it up there. But I am wanting to open this wide open, and make it where others are able to make it easier. But I need some sort of assurance to locate it more south or I might lose the for sure Nor Cal racers. Do you see my point.?
Its a touchy situation. We are evn talking of rotating this race each year. How cool is that? One year up north, one year down south, one year in central and one year it starts in Muncie !!!

Jeff, Woodlands has been approached, please talk to Robert H prior to going any further. Thx

And yes I am looking at $50 for entries. With a cap of 70.
If I get 50 entries thats $2500

With that we can pay a club a decent fee, pay for course workers meals, buy incentive raffle prizes for them to keep them coming and helping, even if they have to travel. Cash Pay outs for the winners as well.

I am going to get huge trophies rather than small plaques.
The biggest prize will be your trophy and bragging rights.
What ever money is left over after raffle prizes, promotional and course costs goes to prize money, but the biggest incentive needs to be you holding a monster trophy as the Warbird Champion. There will also be other sponsorship in some form from our great sponsors already helping.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:56 PM
MFLOOD3800

Ok guys i set up a FB page called warbird champioship race.
here is the link:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Warbi...42566819279026

Go to it, like it and invite your friends and lets use it to help get the social media ball rolling!!

Put your plane pics up, ideas and when the rules are ready for publication see them there
Old 12-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marty,
Sent you an email.
Jim
Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Racer44dd

Sorry about that its jr. and yes I do understand what you mean about the majority of the racers being up north, I was just wondering about the Rcpro guys in Arizona since they've got a good group of racers too.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:37 PM
airraptor

Marty I was going to call Robert first. if you have talked to him already then I wont.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:34 AM
MFLOOD3800

Dave,
The intent of this event IS to attract all the different racing styles into one championship event, so yes i want this to be attractive to all groups, both in rules, and location. We are working with various clubs already to host this and we will in the end be held by the one that best suits us and our needs. My hope is it is centered between all racers. RCPRO has seen moderate entries at some races , mainly due to the Hesperia group and Utah group thinning down for what ever reasons. I believe Bert had around 40 entries at the Cedar City, Utah race making it the biggest of 2014, so guys will travel. Phoenix always does well in turn out also. The Tucson group is among the most dedicated and they travel to all the races consistantly I believe. So all this goes into consideration.
I am not Anti SAMS or Anti RCPRO or Anti TRIANGLE series, I am Pro wabird racing - no biased here, not that you intended any.

Jeff reach out to Robert he may welcome the help.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:16 AM
dan kelly

Somewhere in the middle works for me but if I have to travel farther so be it. Lets race!
Old 12-13-2014, 06:51 PM
PLANEBENDER

Actually the Castle AFB is a great idea and way more central than woodland. Scott Malta is the Airport Manager. Marty, Call me if you need me to contact Scott. I will need more info. Proposed Date Ect...

Dave
Old 12-13-2014, 06:54 PM
MFLOOD3800

Dave,
I was already told no on Castle. By a CD who hosts an event there. Maybe you could check anyway and see what the mngr says.
The proposed date is Nov 7-8 (sat - sun)
70 pilots limit

need field fri as well

Rv parking and food vendor needed.

thx sir!!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:05 PM
PLANEBENDER

10:4. I will ask Scott and let you know. RV Parking? There is enough room for 500 RVs easy.

Dave
Old 12-14-2014, 05:23 PM
MFLOOD3800

Rules package is done and here ya go racers:
WARBIRD CHAMPIONSHIP RACE RULES

Purpose:
The following is a description of the event and the rules that are to be followed in conducting a National Warbird Championship Warbird Race with the purpose of bringing together the various warbird racing groups in the West and elsewhere to allow as many pilots and aircraft as possible to compete in a once a year event to crown a class champion of warbird racing. The desire would be to not eliminate any aircraft used at other venues but instead encourage and approve aircraft that are currently being used for other Scale Warbird races to come and compete for the Championship race.

Pilot Qualifications:
Pilots must show proof of current AMA membership. Furthermore it is encouraged that all pilots use AMA approved 2.4 radios for ease of frequency control. Pilots using older FM equipment will need to defer to the venues frequency control procedures. Furthermore any pilots using equipment on the HAM band will need to show proof of current FCC licensing.

Each pilot will be allowed one caller/crew member per aircraft entry. All pilots and caller/crew members will be issued an armband granting access to the pit/flight line area. Only those workers and contestants wearing armbands will be allowed in the pit area. All spectators must be in approved spectator areas.

Pilots must take off, fly the heat laps, and land the aircraft. In the event of an emergency, the aircraft can be landed by another pilot resulting in disqualification for the heat.

Pilots, callers, and crewmembers will not be permitted to consume alcoholic beverages or any other illegal substance and compete in the event.

Flying or operation of an aircraft, in an erratic or unsafe manner will not be tolerated. Violations will result in a warning or black flag disqualification from the heat at the discretion of the flagman or Contest Director (CD). The CD’s decision, in this regard, is final. The CD may also require any pilot to demonstrate the safe flying characteristics of an entered aircraft, if the pilot’s capability with said aircraft is unknown.

No timing devices (watches, stopwatches, transmitter timers, etc.) will be allowed at the pilot station during the heat racing. Also no help from pit area during a race as to lap times be reported to pilot while he/she is racing will be allowed. Unsportsmanlike conduct by a pilot, caller, or crewmember is grounds for the pilot’s disqualification from the event.

Model Aircraft Requirements:
The only models qualified to be entered in a National Warbird Championship Race event must be scale models replicating heavier than air, fixed wing, piston engine powered, man carrying, fighter, fighter-bomber aircraft that were in production (or Military prototype aircraft intended for production that were flight tested) after January 1, 1937, or scale models of non-military aircraft that have raced in the unlimited category of the Reno Air Races. To “have raced” means that the aircraft must have crossed the starting line while participating in an official heat. No profile fuselage types or Q40 or F3D type planes will be allowed as they do not fit the intent of the class.

Any pilots that have questions regarding aircraft eligibility are encouraged to contact the CD(s) prior to the event. A plane may only be flown in only one class per event. Once a plane has attempted take off for a heat in any class (Bronze, Silver, Gold) said plane may not be used in any other class for the event. Also, a plane may only be flown by one entrant. Planes that have attempted to compete or have competed in a heat race by a pilot cannot be used by any other pilot for the event. However, back up aircraft that have not been flown may be assigned to another pilot for the event. Once the assigned plane has attempted take off the assigned plane will have to be used for the remainder of the event unless damage to the plane occurs (see damaged aircraft procedures below). Scale – models that do not approximately resemble the scale outlines of their full scale counterpart are not permitted. There will be no hollow, composite wings allowed. Composite materials can be used in wing construction for spars or landing gear areas or wing tips, etc., just no all composite type hollow wings. All entered aircraft whether primary or back up must be thoroughly flight tested prior to use at an event. Recommendation would be that aircraft be flown a minimum of two times prior to the event. In no circumstances will a plane be allowed to fly its maiden flight as part of a heat race.

Engine and Wing Area Requirements:
The maximum engine displacement for single engine aircraft is 1.40 cubic inches for 2 stroke engines and 1.80 for 4 stroke engines. The Maximum combined displacement for multi-engine aircraft is 1.80 cubic inches for 2 stroke engines, and 3.50 cubic inches for 4 stroke engines. The maximum engine size for a particular aircraft will be determined using the wing area/engine displacement tables provided below. Wankel engines are classified as 2 stroke engines. Proof of engine displacement is the responsibility of the contestant. Wing area will be determined by average chord X span when requested by specific protest.

Single Engine Displacement/Wing Area Table:

2 Stroke Maximum 4 Stroke Maximum Wing Area Minimum
Cubic Inches Cubic Inches Square Inches

0-.50 0-.89 400
.51-.60 .90-.99 440
.61-.70 1.00-1.09 480
.79-.80 1.10-1.19 515
.81-.95 1.20-1.29 550
.96-1.05 1.30-1.39 565
1.06-1.10 1.40-1.49 580
1.11-1.15 1.50-1.59 595
1.19-1.20 1.60-1.69 610
1.21-1.30 1.70-1.75 630
1.31-1.40 1.76-1.80 650

Multi Engine Displacement/Wing Area Table:

2 Stroke Maximum 4 Stroke Maximum Wing Area Minimum
Cubic Inches Cubic Inches Square Inches
Total Displacement Total Displacement

0-1.00 0-1.50 500
1.01-1.22 1.51-2.00 600
1.23-1.40 2.01-2.50 700
1.41-1.60 2.51-3.00 850
1.61-1.82 3.01-3.50 1000

Engine Requirements:
Mufflers or tuned pipes are required on all 2 stroke engines. All engines must have an operational carburetor and demonstrate the ability to maintain an engine speed of 4000 RPM or less for a period of five seconds prior to takeoff. During this “idle down” period and prior to take off, no contact will be made between the pilot or holder and the engine or fuel system. (No needle adjustments, fuel line pinching, etc.)

Safety Inspection:
The following criteria will be used to inspect all aircraft that are flown in National Warbird Championship races. CD’s, safety inspectors, and contestants should equally be aware that following these criteria to the letter is extremely important in helping to minimize individual liability during the course of the race. During registration, a safety inspector who is a knowledgeable individual appointed by the CD will examine each aircraft.

Specific items to look for are as follows:
1. Short pieces of rubber tubing used to secure all clevises to prevent them from becoming disconnected in flight. Clevises using a bolt and self-locking nut fastener, or other locking device do not require safety tubing.
2. All fasteners holding the engine to the engine mount, and the mount to the firewall, must be in place and secure.
3. Receiver and battery pack should be protected against vibration in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. Servos operating all flight surfaces shall be of sufficient size, a minimum of 57 oz torque on control surface requirements. Airborne battery packs must be of at least 500 mah capacities. Li-Po and Li-Ion batteries must be approved per different racing sites as outlined in their laws. Li-Fe (A123) batteries are allowed anywhere.
4. Washers will be used on all screws holding the servos to the mounting trays, and also on all screws holding the tray to the rails (all washers will be approximately the same diameter as the grommets). Servos mounted directly to the rails will also have washers on the mounting screws. If screw head diameters are as large or larger than the grommet diameter of the servos being used then, or if with screws with the washer built into the head (such as those provided with JR, Futaba, Airtronics and Hitec servos) are being used, separate washers will not be required. All servo trays, if used, will have at least one extra safety screw (not necessarily turned down tightly) placed between the grommets on the rear or front of the tray to prevent the tray from slipping out of the grommets in flight. Servos must be mounted by using fasteners as recommended by the equipment manufacturer. The use of servo tape to directly attach a servo into the aircraft is unacceptable in racing aircraft.
5. When servo manufacturers supply a grommet servo mounting system with brass eyelets, the brass eyelets must be correctly installed. The eyelet must be inserted into the grommet with the rolled end of the eyelet against the material that the servo is being mounted to. This will help prevent collapsing the grommet by over-tightening the fastener.
6. A keeper, or collar, will be on all push rods that have a right angle bend that connects them to the servo output arms. Z-bends are acceptable. If clevises are used at both ends of a push rod, one must be secured, so that the push rod will not turn. EZ connecter type fasteners are NOT permitted on servo arms and push rod ends that control flying surfaces such as ailerons, elevator(s), and rudder(s).
7. All control surfaces will be firmly attached on the hinge line without excessive play, (at the discretion of the safety inspector).
8. Positive thread type wing bolts or screws will secure the wing in place on all two piece aircraft.
9. The entire aircraft should be inspected for any stress cracks.
10. Every aircraft should have the owner’s name, AMA number affixed to the inside per the AMA safety code.

If an aircraft fails to conform to any of the above inspection criteria, it shall be repaired before it can be entered. Any aircraft damaged after it has been safety inspected, shall be re-inspected before it is allowed to fly again. Aircraft with a known history of safety or performance problems should be rejected unless acceptable changes have been made to eliminate the problems.

Declared Racing Class: Breakout times:
The following breakout times will be used in the fixed-bracket racing format. There are NO adjustments to these breakout times.

BRONZE CLASS 2 minutes, 25 seconds
SILVER CLASS 1 minute, 55 seconds
GOLD CLASS 1 minute, 25 seconds

Heat size, Matrixing, and number of rounds flown:
Once the registration and safety inspections have been completed, and the number of entries in each class is known, heat sizes will be set at 4 airplanes maximum per heat. Matrixing, (determining which contestants will fly against each other in each heat), will be determined randomly except for the final heat of the event. The final heat will be determined by point position from the preceding heats, i.e. the 4 highest point positions will race against each other then the next 4, etc. The four highest point positions will be the final heat in each class. Racing will consist of as many rounds of heats in each class, as time will permit, over the duration of the event. Points in all rounds will be totaled to determine the winners in each class. In event of a tie, the tie will be broken by the following criteria in this order:

1). Any heat or heats that resulted in a “0” (Black Flag, B/O, DNS, DNF, Mid Air,, Cut Out ,etc) will be used to eliminate pilot(s) from the tied position(s)
- If one pilot has one "0" and the other has two "0"s the lowest number of "0"s wins the tie and moves into the best finish position

2). If all pilots involved share the same amount of "0" point heats then their total time for the entire event will be added up and the lowest total elapsed time will win the best finish position.
- this includes any heats with one cut, that heat time will be included into total time

3). If there is still a tie, then the lowest time above break out of any of the heats will be used to determine the winner of the tie

4). If there is still a tie using all of the above criteria the pilots will be considered "tied" unless it is for a trophy position of 1st,2nd or 3rd where then they will have a fly off to determine the winner for the best finish position.

Matrix Setup:
At the CD’s discretion the number of rounds per day will be set. Recommendation would be for 3 rounds on day one, and for two rounds with an additional finals round on day two. Entries and time needed per round as well as weather and other “acts of God” will affect the number of rounds run each day and in total. Modification to the finals round will be at the CD’s discretion based upon points and the number of entries.
Each plane will be required to have color markings on designated wing tip top and bottom. There will be a high or low red and a high or low green color applied to wing tips.
These colors will be supplied by the race promoter and applied once matrix and lane assignments are set up.

Engine Run-up area:
Testing of engines must be conducted within the designated engine run-up area, and must be accomplished without the use of a transmitter once heat racing has begun, unless positive controls are in place to eliminate frequency conflicts with racing aircraft.

Engine Starting Procedures:
After aircraft flying in the heat have been identified to the pylon judges, and radios have been checked to insure they are operating, the starter will begin a 120-second timing device. Pilots and their callers will be instructed to start their engines and have the 120-seconds to get their engines running and launch their aircraft. Pilots are allowed one takeoff attempt. Once either of the aircraft main wheels leaves the ground an attempt has been made. If during the 120-second window an engine dies and a takeoff attempt has NOT been made, the plane may be restarted.

Take off Procedures and Directions:
Contestants may take off on a first come, first served basis, but the starter will control access to the runway. Callers will carry, or guide, the pilot’s aircraft onto the runway, and should take great caution when handling aircraft with the engine running, so as to not pose danger to themselves or others. Taxiing of aircraft onto the runway to take off is prohibited. The starter will determine what direction the aircraft must use to take off. This will generally be dictated by the wind direction. If the takeoff direction is from right to left the aircraft must be carried to a position on the runway beyond the left most pilot station and released from there. This is a safety
procedure to help compensate for aircraft that tend to turn to the left on takeoff, due to engine torque and/or wind

Heat Start Procedure:
After the 120-second engine start up time has elapsed, the 45-second countdown clock is started. The announcer will advise as the clock counts down to 30 seconds, 15 seconds, and then count down from 10 seconds to the start of the heat. The heat begins when the clock reaches zero and the starter drops the green flag. At this time, all aircraft are to be to the left of the start/finish line. Failure to meet this requirement is a jumped start and results in disqualification for the heat. Loops to avoid jumping the start are NOT permissible. Pilots, who find they are about to jump the start, can execute a legal sharp left pitchout turn and then circle back safely to the start/finish line by leveling their wings at least once in that turn. Pilots should avoid turning and heading directly towards the pits or starting line in this maneuver.

Heat Racing Procedure:
The heat will consist of 10 laps in a racetrack pattern flown past and around each pylon pole without crossing the deadline. Pilots must also keep their aircraft above the tops of the pylon poles. Pilots who fly near the deadline, or who briefly drop below the top of the pylon poles will receive one warning from the flagman or assistant flagman. Any aircraft crossing the deadline will result in a black flag disqualification from the heat.

Repeated infractions of the deadline, or flying too low, or other unsafe erratic flying can disqualify the pilot for the remainder of the day, and the pilot may be required to demonstrate flying proficiency on the race course before being allowed to fly on the second day. Victory rolls and other acrobatic maneuvers at any time during, or after the heat, are strictly prohibited, and are grounds for black flag disqualification for the heat. Any pilot not pulling off the racecourse after receiving the black flag for any reason will be disqualified from the rest of the event.

Heat Finish Procedure:
For each competing pilot, a racing heat will be concluded when the aircraft has flown 10 consecutive laps, and it has crossed the finish line in the air. Aircraft are not required to be under power when crossing the finish line to finish the heat, and may complete the heat by gliding across the line. The starter will waive the checkered flag as the lead aircraft crosses the finish line completing the 10th lap. When the heat is finished, the assistant flagman will record the finish positions of all aircraft then contact the pylon judges by radio to ascertain if any of the competing aircraft had pylon cuts. Noted cuts will be recorded on the heat card. The assistant flagman will also obtain the heat time for each aircraft from the timing device(s) and record those times on the heat card. In the case of a “photo finish” the winner will be declared by the starter and is not reviewable.

Pilots are not permitted to taxi their planes back to the pilot station while other pilots are waiting to land. Care should be taken to exit plane off to the side of the runway and leave runway clear for next pilot to land.

Heat Scoring Procedure:
For the Gold and Silver and Bronze brackets a four plane maximum heat size will be used. The first place finisher in the heat will receive the same number of points as the number of planes in the maximum heat size in the class. Each subsequent place finisher will receive one less point. For example, with a four-plane maximum heat size with the class, the 1st place finisher receives 4 points, 2nd place will receive 3 points, 3rd place will receive 2 points, etc. Any aircraft that was unable to take off or that was to the right of the start finish line at the start of the heat receives no (0) points. Any aircraft that did not finish the heat receives no (0) points. Any aircraft that completes the heat in less than the prescribed break out time for its class receives no (0) points. Any aircraft that was black flag disqualified receives no (0) points. Effect of Cuts on Points Awarded: If an aircraft cuts one pylon, by not flying past it, that aircraft will receive only 1 point for the heat regardless of finish position. Any aircraft cutting more than one pylon will receive no (0) points for the heat. Aircraft finishing without cuts behind aircraft receiving cuts will have their finish position advanced one place in the standings for every aircraft ahead of them that received cuts. The following four plane heat example illustrates the point scoring system.

1st place finisher with one cut 1 point
2nd place finisher with two cuts 0 points
3rd place finisher with no cuts 4 points
4th place finisher with no cuts 3 points

Damaged Aircraft Procedures:
In the event of a mid-air collision, the starter will signal both aircraft to climb off the racecourse. Both aircraft will be given a zero for that heat. The remaining aircraft in the heat will be allowed to finish the race. Both aircraft involved in the mid-air will be landed as soon as it is safe. Any other damage observed by the starter (flutter, loose control surfaces, etc.) will result in a black flag for that heat and the aircraft will be landed when safe. Before any damaged aircraft is allowed to fly in a subsequent heat, it must be re-inspected by an approved safety inspector and deemed airworthy. If a pilot chooses to switch from the aircraft that they started the event with (for any reason -damage or otherwise) then the original plane will not be allowed to compete for the rest of the event unless the backup aircraft becomes damaged and the CD grants permission to the pilot to re-instate their original aircraft.
Also, Pilots are encouraged to make the CD aware immediately if any aircraft are to be changed and or pulled from competition in an effort to help the race administrators in their record keeping.

Race Scoring Procedures:
Race scoring shall be the sum of all heat scores. There will be no rounds thrown out.

Protests:
It is unfortunate that sometimes disagreements arise when conducting any sporting event. Kindly remember to be calm and sportsmanlike when discussing disagreements with the contest director. If a contestant believes that he/she has a legitimate complaint regarding a specific aspect or incident, a protest should be registered with the contest director within a timely manner. Only contestants may file a protest and protests must be filed prior to the conclusion of an event. The CD(s) is (are) the only point of contact for the protests and his (their) ruling will be final.

Safety/ Safety Equipment:
All provisions of the Official Academy of Model Aeronautics National Model Aircraft Safety Code are incorporated into these rules by reference.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics requires that all contestants, callers, crew members, and event officials and workers participating in any organized racing event wear helmets (hard hats), that are approved by ASHA, DOT, ANSI, SNELL, NOCSAE, or a comparable standard, while “on the course”, in accordance with the AMA’s definition of “on the race course. Contestants, callers, and crew members are required to provide their own helmets (hard hats) that meet these requirements. There are absolutely NO exceptions to these policies and they shall be kept in strict compliance and enforcement at all times. Willful disregard of these policies will result in ejection from the event.

Race Awards:
Each class will receive a trophy for first through third. Any additional prizes are determined by race sponsorship incentives.

Anything not covered in the rules above:
The event CD(s) will have the ability to interpret the National Warbird Championship Race rules and make any decisions needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.