Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Warbird Champioship Event

Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 AM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that 107.12 I was running was fast enough to out run the rest of you in the finals. So I guess Ill stick with my slow stuff.
Maybe I can hit 110 if I prop it correctly.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:18 PM
MFLOOD3800

Guys,
I am looking for input on these sites as these are the ones I have made contact with.
Here are the replies so far:

Fresno - looks very good
Tulare- Yes
Redding- Yes
Bakersfield - No

I will let you all know soon when I get the location finalized, fliers made up and info put out there for all of you.

Last edited by MFLOOD3800; 01-21-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:23 PM
MFLOOD3800

Who has a very accurate radar gun? Mine is ok, if you are right on top of it.
Also would anyone like to head up developing a night time pylon race and handle that race?

Sat night after dark
small foamies like PZ T28 or similar stock
around 6 lps at 200'

Single elimination
$5 entry - winner takes all
Old 01-21-2015, 04:09 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

I like the idea of Fresno or Tulare. Redding may be a bit too far for the SoCal guys. Both are a straight shot down or up 99 depending on location. Fresno may be better for hotels. Not a lot in Tulare but some close by in Visalia.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:39 PM
MFLOOD3800

Let me clarify a bit more: Since I am not in driving distance of any of the above sites, does anyone who has racing experience visited these places and have any insight to them for what we are wanting to do?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:02 PM
speedracerntrixie

Marty, I have flown pylon, IMAC and pattern at Fresno. The pit separation is very much like SAMs. The runway is much larger. The pits themselves are shaded, they have facilities for food service and have electrical. The fly over area is pretty much dirt with a gulch approx 200 yards out. Lots of parking area. It's very easy to access, just exit off hwy 99 and drive 12 or so miles straight to the site.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:20 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
Who has a very accurate radar gun? Mine is ok, if you are right on top of it.
Also would anyone like to head up developing a night time pylon race and handle that race?

Sat night after dark
small foamies like PZ T28 or similar stock
around 6 lps at 200'

Single elimination
$5 entry - winner takes all
I have a top of the line Stalker with tri pod.

Night Race? Awesome. Hey, How can they be any less accurate calling cuts?????

Dave

Last edited by PLANEBENDER; 01-21-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:24 PM
PLANEBENDER

I myself have flown all of them for years. Fresno will give you the best overall results as far as people showing up. As Speed mentioned they have everything we need with a better pit area than any of us are used to. Only snag is a distant power tower. It's been hit once that I know of by of all things...........Yes you got it. A MUSTANG! Fresno gets my vote Marty.

Dave
Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 PM
speedracerntrixie

Was it a white Mustang with blue trim?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:58 PM
PLANEBENDER

No, not Marty's. That Baby would have sliced the tower in 2 pieces at the speed it travels.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:33 PM
speedracerntrixie

Best I can find.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	515.6 KB
ID:	2066362  
Old 01-21-2015, 11:21 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

marty i would look at one that will let us DRY camp, has power and maybe even some water. it is windy there also but I like it out of those.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 AM
MFLOOD3800

Both places will have dry camp available.
Dave bring your radar gun please.
Shawn, I have never hit a tower with my Mustangs. I did how ever hit a Beacon Pole in Ohio at a Giant Scale Race with a NA50 traveling about 220 MPH. They said the pole was under 20'..... I beg to differ that.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 AM
MFLOOD3800

The guys up at Redding were also very interested and I must say , I am tempted to go there. They put on a great race, have a great site and have all the needed equipment.
I personally dont have pylons, timing scoring system, or a PA system.
The only real draw back is its location for So Cal/AZ/Utah racers traveling time.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:24 AM
MFLOOD3800

Hs anyone heard how Ollie is doing? Havent heard from on here in a while?
Old 01-22-2015, 06:26 PM
PLANEBENDER

You should first try and canvas the So-Cal and Arizona guys to see just is actually going to make the event. Then you can base your decision on a yes or no on the Redding offer. BTW, Fresno does have a generator that's wired to the pits. At least they used to.
I myself am going to this even if it's in South Carolina. However if you want to have it in South Carolina could we please have the event at the end of April as I will already be out there for Joe Nall. LOL

Dave
Old 01-22-2015, 07:12 PM
MFLOOD3800

Dave
I have been hearing from the RCPRO group and as far as I can tell there are 10 guys desiring to come. I would hope for closer to 15. There will hopefully be some Q40 guys from cent Cal area as well so thats why I am pushing for that. I hope for 50 Sams and Redding guys. 10-15 RCPRO guys, 5 Triangle series guys, 5-10 Q40 guys and hopefully a handfull of new racers. This should get us to the 70 entry cut off easily enough. Redding is NOT out of the question, before I make my final decision, I will revisit the polls to see who is seriuosly interested.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:16 AM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
Hs anyone heard how Ollie is doing? Havent heard from on here in a while?
Hey Marty,

Thanks for the concern. Miss you, and can’t wait for race season to start-up again so we can all reconnect! I am doing well, although my recovery is not as far along as I would have expected, by now. Eyes have healed extremely well, but my vision correction has not progressed noticeably in the last two weeks . . . it is still blurry and strained, especially at distance. Definitely freaks me out regarding my ability to competitively race. Have my 1-month follow-up tomorrow, and will find out more, then.

Sorry for seeming absent -- I do check this forum very nearly each day; but, just didn’t have much to add, so kept quiet:

• I’m a Silver pilot -- so no way I’m winning the “Dash For Cash.”
  • “Yes”, I can be persuaded to make a Cosmo, or whatever other “girly” drink you think is most appropriate for those who lack sufficient "flash" in their “Dash.” (But, some pilots have already told me that they view these drinks as a "consolation prize." It just doesn’t seem like the victor would be rubbing their noses in it enough. Had an idea, but with the dash held the last day, it probably wouldn't work well enough.)
  • I too, have a radar gun, but it is just a Bushnell (cheaper brand) so it has trouble registering smaller model aircraft. Am told that with this brand, I need to face the plane nearly head-on. I hesitate being in the open, in the direct path of a speeding warbird, as it is not the safest place to be . . . and you know our Safety Officer is a harda**! (Just kidding, Sergio!) I can bring it as a backup if you want.
  • Can’t speak on the telemetry issue as Airtronics has added telemetry features only to its ground systems. I’m in no big hurry to sink a whopping $2,700 into a 28X as I have been kinda “burnt” by JR on my last couple radio purchases (thus my switch back to Airtronics), and have to survive on a mere teacher’s salary, anyway. As a CD, it will be interesting to see how this plays-out regarding enforcement come race day. I'm reserving judgement until I see these systems first-hand.
  • Have not personally been to any of the Central California sites mentioned for holding this event. So can't offer an opinion to which is better. I defer to those who have been to these locations and know first-hand. Absolutely love the Redding guys and their site, but it is the most remote of all the potential sites. As such, makes it more inconvenient for the RCPro flyers, and would likely hurt their representation. I'm driving either way, so the way that helps more of us (North and South) come together face-to-face has my vote.
  • Already bought a new bookcase for that Silver trophy. It's gonna look excellent in my office. I still haven't unpacked all my plaques from the move, so can't post a "brag" pic. Hate to admit it, but Skids had me beat, anyway!

See, I'm paying attention. I just didn't think these comments were worth wasting everyone's time.

Marty, thanks again for all of your outstanding efforts. Let me know how I might be of additional assistance.

Ollie

Last edited by Iron Dog; 01-23-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:44 AM
dan kelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ollie. Dan here in Tucson. We've never met but hopefully some day. Wishing you a speedy recovery with your vision. I have the same problem but it's usually from holding the lite (Bud Lite).
Northern Cal seems like a long way to go just to see Marty Break the sound barrier , but it might be worth it. Especially if there's a Pole to miss at the other end ha ha. Oh yeah I forgot. I cut a bunch of wood the other day for the wood burner so you can have all my plaques for your wall.

Dan- Tucson

P.S. Just kidding Marty
Old 01-23-2015, 05:44 AM
MFLOOD3800

Dan, I am trying to be in AZ for the Tucson Race. Ill be there the weekend before in Phx for the Q40 race so we will see how it pans out.
I am wanting to do the speed dash on Fri or Sat afternoon.

The JR telemetry is available on all their radios, not just the flagship 28X.
I was partially sponsored by Airtronics way back when and they have good stuff as well.
Fly what brings you peace of mind - for me its always been JR.

Our telemetry stuff has a rubber boot to put over the pitot tube which is probably all that will need to be done. Though it would be hard at Gold Speeds to look down while flying, for either the pilot or the caller, and still race a clean course any way.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:43 AM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marty,
I've been giving the whole Telemetry and racing some thought. The Telemetry output of the radio system in my believe should not be used while in a heat. However, with that said I personally see nothing wrong with racers after a heat using the data to determine their next course of action. I would compare it to timers. Most if not all radios have timers built in, but racers still are allowed to know their time after a heat.

The rules clearly state that racers cannot use timing devices on the course.... My belief is that the CD under the rules is allowed to make any rules that are not covered and thus could prior to the race can broaden this piece regarding timers to also say "no telemetry display to be used during the race". This would mean that someone with a telemetry radio would not have that screen up - For those that are not familiar with the JR telemetry output, the JR radios have a second viewing screen where telemetry data can be viewed on the radio showing all of the different telemetry options (Speed, Voltage - Batt or flight pack, Timers, Heat sensors, Altitude, RPM).

Personally I believe that every pilot knows the "intent" of the rules and what is and is not acceptable.

Jimmy Skids
Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 AM
MFLOOD3800

I agree Jim. At my race I will require all telemetry "invisible" during flights. No reason to raise suspiscions so I will also cap mine off. Its rather a mute point as 6.5 - 9 second laps dont leave you much room for anything other than "hitting" and "releasing" on your marks. Even the caller is pre-occupied with staying focused.
I have not had the luxury of racing the same plane yet at Sams or Redding, so getting some telemetry and practice in on my stuff will be very helpful. Break out racing is easy. Not breaking out is hard. Not going too far over 1:25 is even harder. Yes you may have to read that again as I just contradicted myself. Many dont want to be restricted (myself included), but b/o racing does offer some technical challenges, and I am hopeful my telemetry equipment will aide in that. In some ways it is liberating in the challenges it creates.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:19 PM
MFLOOD3800

Just noticed that there were 77 entries in RCPRO for 2014 season. Thats pretty impressive. I sure hope there is a huge contingency from this group at the champ race.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan kelly
Hi Ollie. Dan here in Tucson. We've never met but hopefully some day. Wishing you a speedy recovery with your vision. I have the same problem but it's usually from holding the lite (Bud Lite).
Northern Cal seems like a long way to go just to see Marty Break the sound barrier , but it might be worth it. Especially if there's a Pole to miss at the other end ha ha. Oh yeah I forgot. I cut a bunch of wood the other day for the wood burner so you can have all my plaques for your wall.

Dan- Tucson

P.S. Just kidding Marty
Dan,

Thanks for the well-wishes; I very much look forward to meeting face-to-face!

This is the best part about what Marty is trying to do here. For me, this is far more about bringing us all together, than simply to crown a champion. * Over the years, our thread discussions have sometimes gotten a little heated as we discussed the minor differences in our formats; and, it has been easy to get carried-away when we really weren't certain of the character of the people we were responding to. When we come together, we have an opportunity to bridge these minor differences, and build bonds as we understand we have far more in common, and get to truly experience first-hand the character of one-another. Marty has been fortunate enough to experience each clubs' culture and meet each of us individually. For those of us that have less freedom to travel to multiple clubs' events, this is an outstanding opportunity to share in some of the same experiences he has found so rewarding. I am quite excited about it!

Ollie

* (But before you think I'm some big "softy", and not a true competitor, I guess I have to say, "But being crowned the Silver Champion is going to be the 'cherry on-top'." )

P.S.: For those that care -- 20/25 in the right eye, but 20/60 in the left. Because the eyes are so different, they are fighting each other, rather than complementing and helping each other. Thus, the reason for my issues. Of course, I have to be the guy that finds himself far outside of the "normal" bell-curve. The surgeon states that this is still within expectations, but will require easily 2 - 4 more weeks for the left eye to correct itself. Or, worst case scenario, the left can be corrected with another procedure in about 3 months. The second option may put me out-of-action early in the racing season. (It better not interfere with Redding!)
Old 01-25-2015, 01:05 AM
joedonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, I want to express that this year and from here on out I'm no longer a caller... I want to focus on what could or would make me better to the R/C industry as a whole... which means I need to focus on being an announcer ... I'll never get to Reno as a caller...but as an announcer I have an outside chance... I thank the competition in the Silver class for the past 3 year's 9th fun... but if I want to ( need to ) grow, I need to challenge my ability. .. and I'm only getting better.... thank you Kimo for all we learned. .. together we became champs... but my announcing is growing and I thank all of you that have helped me advance. .. skids, seigo, Kimo, biff and the immortal V-man... No one would have ever thought I would be announcing GIANTS IN THE DESERT. .. but look I AM....So I need to focus. .. and to focus means no destractions.. and no destractions means to focus on just announcing... I have a personality bigger then most and I give all every time I hold a mic... you that know me know I give all... even at an economic cost to myself. .. I do it for the love... for the excitement... for you pilot's. ..and I ain't quitting any time soon!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.