Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Warbird Champioship Event

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 11:10 AM
cowboy69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That plane looks like it's moving 100MPH+ sitting still!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:39 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking plane Tommy
Old 10-30-2015, 08:06 AM
Tommy_Gun

Thanks guys.
Going to get a few more break in flights this afternoon.
Should be able to hit the engine with higher nitro this weekend.
As for its performance, the first two flights showed it to be a fast silver plane on 20/20 with a skinny 14x12.
I'm hoping that she responds well to the higher nitro and more prop.

Last edited by Tommy_Gun; 10-30-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:14 AM
roy batty

Yes indeed Tommy, very nice.
What I especially like, is that your plane looks rather more correct as a warbird than some of the other planes that are coming out to race as of late.
Seriously, some of them look like anorexic stretched out versions of something that might look like a warbird, maybe in a funhouse fat mirror.
I do hope the organizers of these events start to implement some kind of encouragement to get the participants to make their planes look more correct in the future.
Otherwise,we may soon be racing nothing more than formula planes with paint and decals to simulate a warbird racer.
That would be a shame and a sham.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:45 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I once saw a man having a conversation with himself.............................
Old 10-30-2015, 01:43 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did some testing today. just over 219 mph. Engine turned a 14x14 standard at 10,800 on the ground on 75% nitro not sure if that is a good number or not but sounded good. Now for some 85% tomorrow
Old 10-30-2015, 04:33 PM
speedracerntrixie

That makes for very little oil and Methanol in the remaining 15%.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Billy J
My Feedback: (4)

guess Ill ask my buddy to pull out Black Wido 280 cc P 51 if this happens / other wise if done Ziroli 51 / American Eagle F8F , Z Texan coming turn the polls !!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	2128456  
Old 10-30-2015, 05:24 PM
airraptor

I was running 20% oil and according to Roberts calculations thats around 7 HP
Old 10-30-2015, 06:00 PM
speedracerntrixie

So that would be 5% methanol? Not much to initiate combution.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:40 PM
airraptor

no methanol in it on 85%....
Old 10-30-2015, 09:13 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Billy J

guess Ill ask my buddy to pull out Black Wido 280 cc P 51 if this happens / other wise if done Ziroli 51 / American Eagle F8F , Z Texan coming turn the polls !!!!
On our 700' 2 pole course we would smoke you!
Old 10-30-2015, 09:16 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by airraptor
no methanol in it on 85%....
It's my understanding that the catalytic reaction between methanol and the platinum in the plug element is what creates ignition under compression. No methanol, no boom. Unless you are messing with CDI?
Old 10-31-2015, 07:03 AM
dan kelly

I love Miss America.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:35 AM
G-Man
My Feedback: (2)

That plane was Ripping, The bar has been set!
Old 10-31-2015, 08:44 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by G-Man
That plane was Ripping, The bar has been set!
I'm thinking more like this video. LOL. Even has Eric Jaggi watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w4yd3aPnC4

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 10-31-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:05 PM
cowboy69

I don't know what the heck just happened here, but that's the coolest video I've ever seen (excepting the one when the hogs et' my sister, but I digress)....Dan Kelly has good taste in airplanes ( i.e., Miss America). I, too, did not realize a glow engine would run on such high nitro. I thought I had the cosmic connection to glow fuel concoctions. Curious. It's sure to be a spectacular event, nonetheless. Props throwing blades, smack talkin', thunder, Lawrence Welk reruns... THE WORKS BABY!!!
Old 10-31-2015, 05:44 PM
MFLOOD3800

Racers.... one week away. I hope testing is finishing up, wings are being ironed, landing gear straightened and nitro mixed. I will be at the field on Thur around 4:00. Please see me for parking arrangements. Remember no engines fired before 9:00 AM on any day. Please see me for registration on Friday so we can get racing Sat by 9:00. Registration closes Sat morning at 8:00 AM. Workers meeting each morning at 8:15, and pilots meeting at 8:30 sharp.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:07 PM
airraptor

few more updates.
Ray went 197 with his Phoenix Models Strega and Allen went 203 with his vendetta at a density altitude of 6400, 54% humidity and 66 degrees today at gardenerville RC field
Old 11-01-2015, 05:54 AM
dan kelly

Good luck with the Championship race Marty. I'm ready plane wise but the budget just won't allow it. Gona miss it for sure. Take care of Dean'o for us RCPRO guys and keep him away from the water. He's really a good guy in spite of his self and I hope he wins in Silver. And to all the fortunate ones who make the race.....Good Luck.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:51 AM
airraptor

There are many problems with the word scale. This warbird racing is taking off and getting bigger. To add scale into the racing will add a bunch of time to a contest if not days. Then where do you draw the line? Look at a Scale contest and see how long they are then add a two day racing event on that.
Next would you want to spend a year on one race plane only to have a mid air in its first race? Don't get me wrong but I like scale also but to me it isn't worth the effort to build scale. I fly all three classes and in bronze and silver I race the more scale airplanes.

Another problem now is that when someone complains about any aircraft racing about not being scale it opens a bucket of worms. The guy that isn't allowed to fly his NON-SCALE plane is now scrutinizing all the other planes looking to get their plane thrown out because it isn't scale. What would happen then is, we would have to judge these planes and would lose a bunch of racers. We wouldn't have the racing we have now.

This complaining needs to stop IMO. We all need to be promoting this sport and not promoting your agenda. With this also doesn’t mean anything goes also but where is the line drawn. Some people have complained about some planes not having a scoop that is correct and that needs to stop now IMO. I can go over to your plane and point out something that isn't scale also.

What we can do though is, as modelers and racers are to build our planes more to scale. We shouldn't cut corners trying to get the most speed or the best turning plane out there. One thing that makes these planes equal is the break out time.

If you as a modeler build a super scale plane and come race DO NOT complain about someone plane because it isn't scale. We all need to come together and continue to promote this hobby and not complain about someone plane that isn’t scale. Also if the CD of the event says a plane is good then it is good. If you don’t like that then become a CD and run your own event…
Old 11-01-2015, 09:45 AM
MFLOOD3800

I am the first to admit and agree with Roy. We have pushed the limits. We have tweaked the word scale. We have gone as far as we think we could. And when I say "we" I am talking about myself. But isnt that racing? I mean , when you have a class that simply states stand off scale or at least suggests that, then where is the line drawn in the sand. With out complicated rules and strict enforcement. I do not want any of my stuff to become the focus of a complaint, but the racer in me wants every advantage I can get. We want to grow what is in place... so what is the best way to do this?
More strictness? More tolerance? Leave it as is?

Everyone will have an opinion and be right in some ways.

This is where RCPRO has some valid points.
They are more tolerant and allow more than the Nor Cal group.

Both entities have successful events.

My purpose is to combine these 2 groups into one event.
Perhaps the comments on scale, or B/o, or scoops or what ever should stick to the group you race in there.
This thread is for My race with my rules.

For those that dont yet know, we are being asked to bring this to a National level. More on that later.
I will use my rules I worked hard on to be the base platform for this event.

We will have major manufacturers continuing support to help us. We will have builders in Canada jumping in this mix.
We will see a cross over from the Q40 guys, Club guys and more.

This will become a huge event.
I wasnt going to say anything yet, but many already know and are talking.

So there will be another thread I will start in the future about this.

The point is, lets support racing, even if we disagree with some of the points.
We are here to promote what we love, not destroy it.

Every complaint is valid so we wont shut you down.
But I have a vision I am going forward with.
I just ask for you to join me in the promotion of it.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
For those that dont yet know, we are being asked to bring this to a National level.
I will use my rules I worked hard on to be the base platform for this event.

This will become a huge event.

The point is, lets support racing, even if we disagree with some of the points.
We are here to promote what we love, not destroy it.

But I have a vision I am going forward with.
I just ask for you to join me in the promotion of it.

I definitely like to see more scale subjects, and usually invest a lot of extra effort to make them such; but, can't say too much, as I have had so little time to build and resultantly am currently flying a simplified, boxy-looking Fw190D-9 . . . the least scale airplane I've ever competed with in 11 years of racing. If I didn't have it, I wouldn't be racing at all, this season. Obviously, there has to be some tolerance . . . especially when many of the ARF manufacturers tend to make serious and unnecessary deviations from scale, and so many of the planes we compete with tend to be ARFs.

Regardless Marty . . . I'm in!

Dan,

I was really looking forward to meeting you, so am saddened you won't be able to make it.

Ollie

Last edited by Iron Dog; 11-01-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:32 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by Billy J

She's half neked....
Old 11-01-2015, 01:46 PM
airraptor

Originally Posted by roy batty
Yes indeed Tommy, very nice.
What I especially like, is that your plane looks rather more correct as a warbird than some of the other planes that are coming out to race as of late.
Seriously, some of them look like anorexic stretched out versions of something that might look like a warbird, maybe in a funhouse fat mirror.
I do hope the organizers of these events start to implement some kind of encouragement to get the participants to make their planes look more correct in the future.
Otherwise,we may soon be racing nothing more than formula planes with paint and decals to simulate a warbird racer.
That would be a shame and a sham.

Who is this ROY, is this TOMMY ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.