Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Show your stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 03:45 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that was a cheap plug to get that beautiful plane into this forum.

I love tru-fire. That is by far the coolest paint job ive seen on a quickie.
For what its worth, our gold racers this year will be closer to 180 MPH.
How fast is the Q500 with the Jett?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:18 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

We put 8 maiden trim flights on it at summersville WV august last year, was getting faster each flight leaning it out a smidge each flight , some were comenting 180 + with ease, but thats someone else's opinion
I do know it was coming hard out of the corners, I worked over the dub Q500 engine to my liking's and is all go or no go, yes it is a hand full but a real crowd pleaser, i dont race i just enjoy the speed and the rpm's it turns up - ear piercing

Everyone loves a fast plane, i am doing another Ninja with a neon yellow candy and black checked smoke pattern, it too looks killer, it also has a Q500 II also mod'd waiting for it
Cant wait for spring time
Old 01-16-2015, 06:45 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I have always been fond of Q500 airplanes. I went straight from my trainer to a Q500 way back in '79. I wish I could claim that I was the father of the shoulder wing, V tail configuration as I had one in '80. I can't really make that claim as the one I built was only flown a handful of times before I hacked off the V tail and put a standard tail on it. The mechanical mixer I used along with the available servos at the time just led to a system that I just could not get to center. My favorite Q500 memory was a fly off race against Rusty VanBaren. With Q500 gaining popularity here in NorCal I'm considering building one and hitting the poles with it. I was thinking of a bad ass build with awesome paint but yours would be hard to match.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a old sling shot. i will mostly do Q40 now and wont race the sling shot. maybe we can trade for some foam wings?????
Old 01-17-2015, 12:31 PM
speedracerntrixie

We may be able to work that out. I won't be able to take on any new projects for a few months and will be struggling to get the ones done that I have now. A big change for Team Speed is in the works, announcement will follow as soon as it is concrete.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:57 PM
speedracerntrixie

Now that we have had 2 weeks to settle into the new Sacramento residence and I am not completly overwhelmed with setting up the new house and adjusting to a new job I can get back to finishing the Macchi x3. Eased into it over the week by bagging the tail section with glass and a strip of nylon cloth. These will have skin hinging on the tail. Over the weekend so far I have been working on the retract installs and cutouts for the tail section. The goal is to button up the retracts and start glassing the wings and while I am waiting for resin to cure on the wings I will be working on hinging, mounting and running pushrods to the tail. Primer will start in a week to 10 days.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	990.7 KB
ID:	2077504   Click image for larger version

Views:	69
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2077505   Click image for larger version

Views:	66
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2077506  
Old 02-28-2015, 05:19 PM
MFLOOD3800

Looks nice and clean Shawn
Old 02-28-2015, 05:57 PM
airraptor

I guess you did copy the way i did my wheels...
Old 02-28-2015, 05:58 PM
speedracerntrixie

Thanks Marty. With time running short I'm doing my best to invest the hours rather then make shortcuts. Once I get to the primer stage things will move quickly. I hope I can get them test flown March 28 or 29. Still have to order up another 115.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:04 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by airraptor
I guess you did copy the way i did my wheels...
No, we just take things a bit farther then the next guy LOL. Can't wait to see where we stand when the dust settles. I may hold one back to do more " magic " to it for Marty's race.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:14 PM
KazeRacing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great cant wait to get mine dialed in
Old 03-10-2015, 08:31 AM
gtm3323

Default sliver plane

hello group, cool planes discussed and documented indeed!
i will post pictures of the plane I purchased and even further modified and plane to race with. i am new to all of this. i was hoping for gold class, but after seeing these planes and the aerodynamics, i do not stand a chance. oh well, silver class it is

world models p51 mustang. it is to resemble a reno racing plane from the 40's.
i got off of a guy in AZ and had it had a ys91. i took off the motor and replaced with 120. i got 3 of these motors off ebay and all were not good, sent them in to richard to fix. i did not know much about ys115 and thought 120 where the best , boy was i wrong. the cost to fix all of the motors stung a little- I should have bought 3 new - 115ws instead. oh well lesson learned.

wing is stock thickness, but shortened to 51", ailerons moved to wing ends. beefed up elevator push rods. the scoop was removed and therefore the fuselage has been modified. the tail wheel was moved to near the end of the fuselage. I did not do this and not preferred with this - and the tail wheel is not steerable. i will have to takeoff and land like a quicke. i tried to race in tucson but it was winded out, and I am glad I didnt (the 120s were still being fixed, so I stuck on the 91). I went over the plane again, put back on the 120 and I feel much better about trying to fly the pane and racing it. I am bummed I cannot make the SAMs races due to scheduling conflicts. I will give it a "college try" for the fresno race. i really have not flown the plane as I had a hard time getting the motors to run right. I will try to fly it this weekend in preparation to the phoenix race in a few weeks.

I am open to all feedback - the good and bad please. I am sure I have something wrong, i usually do. see you at the races!

Name:	a1.PNG
Views:	145
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	2080377   Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	665.0 KB
ID:	2080378   Click image for larger version

Name:	a3.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	2080379   Click image for larger version

Name:	a5.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	2080381   Click image for larger version

Name:	a6.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	2080382   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	2080384   Click image for larger version

Name:	a4.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	454.4 KB
ID:	2080386   Click image for larger version

Name:	a7.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	2080387  

Last edited by gtm3323; 03-10-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:45 AM
MFLOOD3800

gtm,

I will be at the Phx race, and will offer any assistance I can.
Glad you are racing with us
Old 03-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gtm,

Welcome! Glad you've caught "the bug" and are going to join us.

It sounds like you would like some feedback, so I will offer my comments (for what they are worth):

The extra retaining dowels at the leading edge of the wing are a good idea. Over the years, I have seen a few of the WM Mustangs' single plywood retaining tabs wear due to vibration at the center section.

It is good that all the control rods to the flying surfaces have Z-bends. If you are using metal clevises, I suggest using a nut hold the clevis tight. Again, I have seen vibration take its toll on the threads when this has not been done; resulting in effective loss of the control surface due to the clevis becoming stripped.

It is good that you have control going to both elevator halves. I would feel more comfortable with a carbon fiber rod (such as those available from Dave Brown, or at Central Hobbies), replacing the wood dowel and heat-shrink tubing, if you are racing in any class besides Bronze.

These race engines are very torquey. I strongly recommend you have a steerable tailwheel so you can make course corrections, as needed. Although my club's rules do not state anything specifically about this, as one of the SAM Contest Directors, I would have some concerns about the safety of operating as powerful an aircraft as this, without one -- especially in a crosswind. Safety is key, dead-sticks happen, and you may have to land suddenly with another plane still on the runway. You will want to be able to steer around another plane in such a situation. If for no other reason . . . to be competitive, consistency is the key; and, to ensure you get up and down consistently without damage and much wasted time on repairs stressing you out throughout the day (and cutting into your time to socialize and have fun with everyone come race day), a little work now will make you much happier in the long run.

Just my two-cents. I hope they are helpful. As a fellow Silver racer, I hope to meet you soon!

Ollie
Old 03-11-2015, 07:13 AM
MFLOOD3800

gtm,

Though the rudder will work ok with enough air flow over the surface, once you slow it down, youll need control. Plus at beginning of take off youll need to turn that thing to the right..... I suggest ditching the scale location and installing a tail wheel off the rudder/fuse (easy fix). I remember meeting you in Tucson. "Hormel Food"?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:15 AM
MFLOOD3800

By the way if you are looking to get into it on a budget yet have a gold ready plane- get the new airborne spitfire that is coming out this month. $229 + shipping. Elec retracts installed, good airfoil on main wing, sheeted stab, 4 bolt wing...... it has all the needed items to race any class.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:16 AM
airraptor

the new WM spit will run 1:25 easily with a YS 115WS. cant get any easier than that.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
gtm,

Though the rudder will work ok with enough air flow over the surface, once you slow it down, youll need control. Plus at beginning of take off youll need to turn that thing to the right..... I suggest ditching the scale location and installing a tail wheel off the rudder/fuse (easy fix). I remember meeting you in Tucson. "Hormel Food"?
Marty,
I put all mine in the scale location and prefer them there. By doing so there is less stress on the rudder and rudder servo. Also if the plane has to ditch because of dead stick with gear up the tail wheel is not going to pull out of the rudder or damage the rudder.
(there I go giving up secrets... darn it).

Skids
Old 03-11-2015, 02:54 PM
MFLOOD3800

I have heard of the stress as you say, but havent had an issue with mine yet. But others do echo your concerns. I have noticed the control seems to be better the farther back you go, though as you stated, there are other sacrafices when doing so.

I think the big issue here is he stated it wasnt steerable at all?
That needs to be addressed in rules some where.
He needs total control of that thing at all times.
That was pretty much my intention in my posting

I looked my rules for the warbird champ race, and darn it, in there, is nothing that states "steerable tail wheel". This is a concern for me at my race at least. Id hate to be the one getting hit by a plane on the ground who couldnt turn his away from mine.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:13 PM
airraptor

yes I agree marty. so simple to put one on the plane no matter where its at. cant do a good take off with out one. just make an adjustment to the rules. champ race version 1.1
Old 03-11-2015, 03:34 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Jimmy Skids
Marty,
I put all mine in the scale location and prefer them there. By doing so there is less stress on the rudder and rudder servo. Also if the plane has to ditch because of dead stick with gear up the tail wheel is not going to pull out of the rudder or damage the rudder.
(there I go giving up secrets... darn it).

Skids
Your secret is safe with me Jimmy, I will remember to do that to all the (Mustangs) I built. LOL

Dave
Old 03-11-2015, 03:36 PM
MFLOOD3800

Just got off the phone with gtm, and he will be getting a tail wheel assembly installed soon. He is a dedicated racer and has plans to create a good fleet that will make all of us jealous. Cant wait for the races to get here already.

Jeff, i will be making a change to the rules shortly
Old 03-12-2015, 05:48 AM
gtm3323

What I nightmare to fix but I was able to rip out the old tail wheel assembly and replace with a steerable tail wheel system in the exact same spot.

Thanks everyone one for the advice. I feel a whole bunch better of ground control of the plane!

I have 2 more questions

one mentioned about the metal clevis on the surfaces, to fix do I just put a nut butted up against the clevis? Or Should I change them all to plastic?

also one of my previous photos showed the inside of fuselage with the glue on firewall. Does it look like there is enough glue on the firewall? Do I need to pin the firewall - what does that mean and what does that look like?

do I need to glass the wing 3-4"? I doesnt look like it is.

i have already preordered 2 spitfires and was able to acquire a new ys115ws. Hope I get those in time to get and build by the November race

thanks gerald

Views:	349
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2080868   Click image for larger version

Views:	205
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2080869  
Old 03-12-2015, 06:00 AM
Tony Pacini

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
I have heard of the stress as you say, but havent had an issue with mine yet. But others do echo your concerns. I have noticed the control seems to be better the farther back you go, though as you stated, there are other sacrafices when doing so.

I think the big issue here is he stated it wasnt steerable at all?
That needs to be addressed in rules some where.
He needs total control of that thing at all times.
That was pretty much my intention in my posting

I looked my rules for the warbird champ race, and darn it, in there, is nothing that states "steerable tail wheel". This is a concern for me at my race at least. Id hate to be the one getting hit by a plane on the ground who couldnt turn his away from mine.
If memory serves, SAM rules required steerable nosewheel (and probably tailwheel) starting back in 2002. After seeing this discussion, I went to their current rules and was surprised to find that it was no longer a requirement.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:57 AM
airraptor

the metal clevis looks fine to me as long as you have a Z bend on the other end.

now a nut tightened up against the clevis will remove slop. the biggest thing i can tell someone new to race is have very good centering servos and ZERO slop. On your ailerons and elevator have a decent set of servos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.