Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Show your stuff

Old 03-29-2015, 04:51 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

No camping for me as I now live 1/2 hour from the field. Virginia and I were just talking about how nice it was going to be not having to drive 3 hours after a race. New place has all kinds of room for this years trophies too. Thinking about calling the new Macchis the Vendetta Violators......what ya think? LOL
Old 03-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Trashman88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be camping as usual

Originally Posted by PLANEBENDER
As always Shawn, Your work is a stand out! That plane will do well in Silver and also the Two Minute Tango. (How's that for a fairy tale?)

Ollie: You need to read the post carefully Mr. School teacher. I was referring to Marty not ME. I'm a Breaking Bad kinda guy.

Is anyone camping out at the field for the race?

Dave
Old 03-31-2015, 07:16 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a good one Dave. I actually used to watch I love Lucy when I was younger.
Shawn your planes are gorgeous, but a Vendetta Violater?
You will have your hands full this tear as there will be 5 of these you'll have to violate

All in very capable hands by the way

Id be every bit worried with the rest of the gold planes for this year. Wow... what a field of talented racers and capable planes showing up this season.

hope you all do well and fly safe.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:03 PM
speedracerntrixie

Well Marty, test flew one on the VV Macchis today. Needs a little tweaking to the CG but flew quite well.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:10 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Glad it went well Shawn. I hope you are seeing around 180 MPH with it !!
That will put you around 5 seconds off the pace.
Or so I hear........................
Old 04-19-2015, 07:22 PM
pjakew
My Feedback: (4)

http://youtu.be/pptq2IiPyqg
Old 04-19-2015, 08:31 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Very Nice! I wish more people did those videos.

Dave
Old 04-19-2015, 09:14 PM
pjakew

Thanks. I enjoy doing them and they are super-easy to do on a phone or other device. I figured that if i am going to make it for the Silver race, might as well toss my hat in the Bronze if the prizes will be like previous years. Btw: I tried to access to access the Redding club website to get info on the race, but it does not work. What is up with that?
Old 04-19-2015, 09:17 PM
pjakew

Dora update too!
http://youtu.be/8FSyaUmEi-s
Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 PM
pjakew

The Dora saga continues.
http://youtu.be/uVgap_pDNr0
Old 04-27-2015, 07:50 PM
pjakew

Getting closer....
http://youtu.be/UH5zx7_Vt30
Old 04-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Dog

Trixie is gonna love this "new ride" for 2015 . . . it's a Pineapple Upside-down Cake martini.

Oh yeah,
. . . and I have been finishing 3 SAM Outlaw racers while recouping from my surgery the last week; and will go back to working on my 3 new P-47s when I get back to working on the "big stuff", again. Will post pictures when I can. Happy New Year to you and the family, Shawn!

Ollie
Alright, I did get my YS .91-powered Fw190D-9 all dialed in for the Big Kahuna race; but, now that it is over, I have a problem. The 190's speed is perfect for Sacramento, but both my planes ran slower up in Redding, last year. I really don't want to run any higher nitro to compensate, so I decided to get back to the "big stuff", again.

So it is back to the 115-powered P-47s:

I made my new P-47 cowl mold and laid up a couple new cowls over a couple of the last few weekends, and vacuum-formed a few canopies when I was forming new canopies for Nickerson's new Raiden, as well.

Decided it was time to sweep up the shop and get back to building. Pulled the P-47 fleet out of the way to sweep and get a picture of my progress on them for you, out in the light. There are two smaller, YS .91-powered composite-fuse P-47s to the far right. My first of the new cowls has only been primered white, and is mounted on the olive-drab colored P-47. The second cowl is still "raw" and can be seen on the all-wood P-47 in the middle. I still need to lay-up one more for my other unfinished composite version. The all-wood models have a larger wing and extended tail to fit the wing area/engine chart and qualify for the YS 115. I built the composite versions, and my father-in-law has done most of the building of the all-wood models because he knows I've had no time to build the last couple years, and wants me to be able to keep racing.

Although I hope to have both all-wood P-47s completed and maidened before Redding's Ash Fast race, the one to the left is the one I will initially concentrate on finishing, first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5103.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	2092733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5106.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	535.6 KB
ID:	2092734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2092738  
Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what nitro you running now? I have run mine on 505 with no issues at all. it loves it
Old 04-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Iron Dog

45 percent
Old 04-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Iron Dog

The problem with the scale composite P-47s is that it is difficult to balance them with such a short distance from the wing saddle to firewall and engine mount, and not have to add weight. The only way to do it is to locate the engine further ahead on the engine mount. But, with a cowl that is just barely big enough to house the engine when the engine is located to the rear of the mount, that means the prop and hub stick out further beyond the cowl than is scale. With the extended tail moment on these wood versions, this issue will be further exacerbated.

So, the work-around I decided to employ was to scrap mounting the cowl ring directly to the firewall. Instead, I would effectively "recess" the engine by extending the nose section an extra inch beyond the firewall with two sections of 1/2" x 1/2" stick material. I then sanded this flush with the exterior of the fuse, and used a sanding disc on my Dremel to more smoothly contour the inside, resulting in about a 1/4" thickness, overall. (see 1st pic) The plan is to glue a 1/8" ply cowl mount with #4 blind nuts to this extension, so that I can now move my engine further forward on the mount, without it extending too far forward of the cowl. The extended nose also looks more proportional, counterbalancing the extended rear fuse. The only down-side I see thus far, is that the nose contours in toward the front as it meets the cowl. Continuing this contouring an extra 1 1/8", means that the cowl's diameter is now more noticeably bigger than the leading edge of the fuse.

The initial wood P-47's fuse has been filled, contoured, and sanded to a finish ready for covering. I still need to mount the ply cowl mount ring, my switch, and charge jack however, so will likely ding it up some more in the process. The wing has been contoured, rough sanded, and filled, but not yet final sanded. (2nd pic)

Name:	IMG_1142.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2092934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2092935  
Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Iron Dog

Originally Posted by pjakew
Getting closer....
http://youtu.be/UH5zx7_Vt30
Looks great, Jake! I can't recall if you stated this in an earlier video, but were you going to race her at Redding in June?

I need a couple gasket sets for my 91s, as well. (I found I needed one at the last race, and didn't have one on-hand. So Sergio had to bail me out -- "Thanks again, Sergio!" I love redundancy, and am not satisfied if I don't have extras of everything.) If RC Country has them in stock, I'll pick up at least one extra. With luck then, you'll have access to one, no matter what. If you come to town, and want one, grab it. If they don't have one when you need it, give me a call, and with luck they had extras when I went in and I'll hook you up.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:34 PM
pjakew

Originally Posted by Iron Dog
Looks great, Jake! I can't recall if you stated this in an earlier video, but were you going to race her at Redding in June?

I need a couple gasket sets for my 91s, as well. (I found I needed one at the last race, and didn't have one on-hand. So Sergio had to bail me out -- "Thanks again, Sergio!" I love redundancy, and am not satisfied if I don't have extras of everything.) If RC Country has them in stock, I'll pick up at least one extra. With luck then, you'll have access to one, no matter what. If you come to town, and want one, grab it. If they don't have one when you need it, give me a call, and with luck they had extras when I went in and I'll hook you up.
Thanks Ollie, the leak is not bad, but reminds me of my old VW Bug I had that liked to "mark" its territory wherever I parked it. It must be a universal truth of all German engineering ��. If you have one I may need to get it off you if I don't get an opportunity between now and the next race. This plane is intended for Redding. I figured that since it is a 2-day and they usually have some great prizes at Redding, that it was worth a shot doing both classes. Keep up on the P-47s, so far they look great.

the decals came...
http://youtu.be/OC3UGinoPq0
Old 05-04-2015, 09:55 PM
pjakew

The Dora is Done!
http://youtu.be/kM3u-wYdZZM
Old 05-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Iron Dog

Congrats on the successful re-maiden, Jake -- she looks great!

I went to RC Country on Saturday and picked up some YS parts. I grabbed 3 valve cover gaskets and one complete set of all the gaskets used on the 91. So, I should have whatever you need to stop your leak. Call me when you're gonna come down, and either you can meet me at my place to do the work a little more comfortably, and where I have additional parts if needed; or, I'll meet you at the field. Whichever is more convenient for you.

Ollie
Old 05-07-2015, 08:21 PM
pjakew

Good to know Ollie. Not sure what my plans are with getting to the Sacto area, but if I make it to that general area in the near future I will hit you up.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:25 PM
speedracerntrixie

The season is off to a rough start. Having lost one of my brand new Macchis just before the race and then being a bit gun shy to really push the one I still have I didn't do too well. If everyone remembers I have a third airplane. This one is for RCU Member Kazi Racing. With my wife spending the week back in San Jose getting time to work on airplanes has been a bit difficult. Starting this week she is on a 30 day loan to the Sacramento Facility. This takes some weight off my shoulders as well as being able to see my wife more then 2 days a week. End result is that I have some time to get back to finishing Kazi's Macchi. Did some sanding on it this evening and will have it ready to paint soon. As you can see there are some low spots that need to be filled before color goes on. Trying to make this one really pretty. I think that's the reason the other one committed suiside on me is because it knew I thought it was ugly LOL.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1,009.4 KB
ID:	2095613   Click image for larger version

Views:	50
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2095614   Click image for larger version

Views:	44
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2095615  
Old 05-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Tr!pullCrown

very nice stuff.. I'm just so over Kit building. Id rather upgrade an arf. My laziness dos not come without a little humility, I'm proud to see dudes that still have patience and PRIDE!....Make us proud .
Old 05-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Tr!pullCrown

Here in FLA... Team FACTOR X Racing we just want to go ballistic sport flying at its extreme...hats off again kit boys..

Name:	CAM00286.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2095868  
Old 05-14-2015, 03:30 PM
speedracerntrixie

Kits? We don't do no stinking kits.....LOL.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:41 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

speed yours is considered a kit......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.