Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

10th Annual Trashman & YS Classic Warbird Race

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

10th Annual Trashman & YS Classic Warbird Race

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:18 AM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There ya go. Shawn clarified the tech side of it, great point on not taping it directly to the chrome, never thought of that as a possible issue. I almost suggested running the remote or even the rx in the canopy are, HOW EVER, I have not liked the results of the heat produced in these areas and the effect they have on the electronics. When I first flew 2.4, we had lock outs when temp at rx reached 120 degrees. Were told they were good up to 150. They lied. With that said if you keep the canopy covered in between heat races you will be fine and it is a viable option for rx or remote placement. When ours failed (3 of them at a practice session in 2008) we left planes out in direct sunlight and never thought of it. 2 planes destroyed and mine locked out for over 5 seconds and believe me it felt like 5 minutes as it flew away straight and level. I was fortunate and got mine back. Im NOT a fan of rx under canopy, but I also dont chrome kote. Like stated earlier, use extra remotes, antennas outside, range check. I will suggest w/o sounding like a cheap plug for DMSS, but it would be worth the change on this plane to avoid the concern. As stated in another post Carlos has a plane all alumn and other metals (NO glue in his assembly) and the connection is solid. I get this would be an investment for you to change, but an investment when done wisely pays off in the end.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:31 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know Monokote says there isnt any metal in the chrome. I have other chrome covered planes with no issues and in fact I may bring one to the YS race to fly it. Its a old Zia Models F-106 with a 45 in the Nose.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:29 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Jeff you wouldnt have an issue with DMSS. Its dual link is robust.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Tommy_Gun

OK then, to dig a little deeper,
I used my digital volt/ohm meter to check for continuity on a piece of the chrome finished ultracote.
There was no continuity at all no matter what meter setting I used. I even poked the probes through the material to see if there was a metal layer laminated into the covering.
So if there is no conductivity to this material, it should pose no shielding properties against RF signals? Right?
Am I missing something here?
Old 09-11-2015, 07:57 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what you can do is stick the receiver in the roll of monokote after it has been bound and do a range test with the receiver in the monokote tube. if works then should work in the plane. When mine didn't work I had scratched the surface with a green brillo pad to work on some aero issues I was having with the plane. The pad put scratches in the covering which exposed the color and that may have been the issue
Old 09-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Trashman88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started another thread called the 10th annual Trashman & YS classic (Thread 2) because of the RCU advertising on the #1 thread. with the ad it made it hard to see everything and it cut off the spreadsheet when looking on a phone or pad. I will keep up the 2nd thread from here on out.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:21 PM
joedonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey peeps I don't browse this often or even ready the comments! But just wanted you to know I'll be out Friday at 3pm can't wait to meet the new pilot's I see are coming and I can't wait to me you all! My first of 3 big races and I'm pumped and positive! Already coming up with some new material!