Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

FAA Registration and RCPRO Racing 2016

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

FAA Registration and RCPRO Racing 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
IMO Dan, your board made a poor decision. As of now AMA is not requiring CD's to verify FAA registration and because the registration violates a law congress passed in 2012 enforcing it could lead to trouble with the club as well.
Does Not .... the FAA made registration of R/C Pilots, nothing to do with Model airplanes, Their interpretation of #336 is just that an Interpretation ... i.e. the way the FAA sees what congress sent them. Nothing more nothing less. No where have they made NEW legislation for R/C TOY airplanes DRONES.

It is still my contention that if the AMA would never had congress amend the Modernization act of 2012 with #336 We would not be having any concerns ,,, The FAA Would have gone after what every person that can read believes is a DRONE Quads Multi toters and only those that presented a problem (Danger) to the flying public. . U think the FAA gives a GGD about a bunch of O'l farts out in the country side playing with R/C TOYS when they have almost NEVER EVER been a problem? I Don't think so. That is till the AMA got STUPID and through congress tried to tell the FAA how to do their job ,,i.e. what they could and mostly what they cold NOT do. How's that worked out so far ... Congress won't even back their own #336 against the all powerful (OZ ) i.e. the FAA.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:31 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Does making your font bold and large mean you have a better idea of what the topic is?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:10 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys directly from the FAA site:
"The FAA has partnered with several industry associations to promote Know Before You Fly, a campaign to educate the public about using unmanned aircraft safely and responsibly. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft
The statutory parameters of a model aircraft operation are outlined in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012) (PDF). Individuals who fly within the scope of these parameters do not require permission to operate their UAS; any flight outside these parameters (including any non-hobby, non-recreational operation) requires FAA authorization. For example, using a UAS to take photos for your personal use is recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individual would be considered a non-recreational operation."

So the way I read this is that those are just guidelines but then they say the special rules for model airplanes says: "SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of lawrelating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems intoFederal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including thissubtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administrationmay not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a modelaircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreationaluse;(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybasedset of safety guidelines and within the programmingof a nationwide community-based organization;(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 poundsunless otherwise certified through a design, construction,inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administeredby a community-based organization;(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does notinterfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operatorof the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airportair traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is locatedat the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraftoperators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles ofan airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operatingprocedure with the airport operator and the airport air trafficcontrol tower (when an air traffic facility is located at theairport)).(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shallbe construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursueenforcement action against persons operating model aircraft whoendanger the safety of the national airspace system.(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘modelaircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere; H. R. 658—68(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operatingthe aircraft; and(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes." So to me this means I follow AMA rules or a community based set of guidelines. So to me I can still fly over 400 feet if I like go as fast as I want as long as I don't fly near manned aircraft. The FAA site says I don't need permission (from the FAA) to fly if I follow the special rule. Also the FAA thing is a regulation and not a Law. Another thing is who will enforce this regulation? The FAA doesn't have the man power for this. We that have been flying safe for ever don't have anything to worry about.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:09 PM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Got my FAA Number, Got my AMA number, Got the entry fee, Got a plane that should run 1:30...BUT!!! I have to fly the Yuma Airshow on Saturday. If the race were Sunday OR Feb 13,14 Ray and I would be there to race 2 classes each. Sure wish I could have made it and supported your assn. Next time.

Dave
Old 02-03-2016, 03:59 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

I emailed our AMA VP and asked what my responsibilities as a CD are as far as enforcement of the new registration and identification on our planes. His reply is as follows:

"Registration is an FAA requirement, not an AMA one. You as a CD are not responsible to police it"
Old 02-03-2016, 04:08 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by airraptor
"The FAA has partnered with several industry associations to promote Know Before You Fly, a campaign to educate the public about using unmanned aircraft safely and responsibly. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

• Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft
The statutory parameters of a model aircraft operation are outlined in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012) (PDF). Individuals who fly within the scope of these parameters do not require permission to operate their UAS; any flight outside these parameters (including any non-hobby, non-recreational operation) requires FAA authorization. For example, using a UAS to take photos for your personal use is recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individual would be considered a non-recreational operation."

So the way I read this is that those are just guidelines but then they say the special rules for model airplanes says: "SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of lawrelating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems intoFederal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including thissubtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administrationmay not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a modelaircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreationaluse;(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybasedset of safety guidelines and within the programmingof a nationwide community-based organization;(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 poundsunless otherwise certified through a design, construction,inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administeredby a community-based organization;(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does notinterfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operatorof the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airportair traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is locatedat the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraftoperators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles ofan airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operatingprocedure with the airport operator and the airport air trafficcontrol tower (when an air traffic facility is located at theairport)).(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shallbe construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursueenforcement action against persons operating model aircraft whoendanger the safety of the national airspace system.(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘modelaircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere; H. R. 658—68(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operatingthe aircraft; and(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes." So to me this means I follow AMA rules or a community based set of guidelines. So to me I can still fly over 400 feet if I like go as fast as I want as long as I don't fly near manned aircraft. The FAA site says I don't need permission (from the FAA) to fly if I follow the special rule. Also the FAA thing is a regulation and not a Law. Another thing is who will enforce this regulation? The FAA doesn't have the man power for this. We that have been flying safe for ever don't have anything to worry about.
Old Old News and the FAA has Interpreted it in a completely different way.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_..._spec_rule.pdf
Old 02-03-2016, 04:11 PM
airraptor

hound dog instead of posting a pdf that is on their site tell us or me what is different in it?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:12 PM
HoundDog

Old Old News and the FAA has Interpreted it in a completely different way.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_..._spec_rule.pdf
Old 02-03-2016, 04:20 PM
airraptor

I have read that PDF before but I read again and all it says is the same thing I stated before. Of note also in this PDF is: "I. Scope of FAA’s Enforcement AuthorityAs discussed above, if a model aircraft is operated consistently with the terms ofsection 336(a) and (c), then it would not be subject to future FAA regulations regardingmodel aircraft. However, Congress also recognized the potential for such operations toendanger other aircraft and systems of the NAS. Therefore, it specifically stated that“[n]othing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator topursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger thesafety of the national airspace system.” P.L. 112-95, section 336(b)."
So again as long as we follow the AMA code we are good. nothing about 400 feet or anything. The 400 feet is just a guidline not a law and not even a regulation.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:34 PM
HoundDog

US House of Representatives Transportation and Infrastructure Committee chairman Bill Shuster (R-Pennsylvania) has proposed legislation that would remove the operation and management of US air traffic control (ATC) from FAA.

The rest of the story:

http://atwonline.com/air-traffic-con...8821d24a0b8393

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-03-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:43 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Marty, my issue is that by registering I am agreeing to not fly over 400'. Not a big deal for racing but I do other events that can't be flown without going over 400'. As of right now none of these other events require registration. So should I register and scrap my pattern, IMAC and sailplanes or not register and quit racing? I like the idea of scrapping one relatively cheap race plane as opposed to other expensive airplanes.
Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?
A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet under appropriate circumstances, and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. Checking the box on the federal registration webpage signifies an understanding of the 400 foot guideline. This is an important safety principle that all UAS operators need to be aware of, and is the same guideline established in AC 91-57 published in 1981. However, the placement of this guideline on the FAA website is intended as an educational piece and more specifically intended for those operating outside of AMA’s safey program. We have been in discussions with the FAA about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its website in the next week to make clear that this altitude guideline is not intended to supplant the guidance and safety procedures established in AMA’s safety program.

For more questions and answers, go here:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ked-questions/

This was updated as of today.

Also, the AMA is not requiring clubs do anything in terms of verifying or validating the FAA registration. This is something clubs will be doing on their own, based on what would normally be the membership needs and agreements. I've seen some immediately require this but then back down when told the club bylaws don't require this. It's up to each club to decide, which I think is a good thing.

Go fly and have fun!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:40 PM
MFLOOD3800

Hoping to see you there Dan.
I may not have a plane that will do 1:30 like Dave, but I'll bring something and try to stay on the same lap as all of you guys.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:33 AM
dan kelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be fun Marty. Wish Dave could have made it. I'm sure you'll be fast as usual. I'm only on 30 percent so I'll try and stay out of your way.

"Go fly and have fun" . I like that Porcia 83.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
I only go by what the AMA is telling me and not what threads or posts are saying.
If you are an AMA member, you too have been getting these emails, i encourage you to re read them. I have already printed up my decals and have them ready to go on planes for sanctioned events.

Speed, it isnt any fault of RCPRO, they are simply complying with what I feel the Law will be in Feb for their race date. Even the AMA has green lighted the registering process. In that process it is required to apply these numbers to your planes.
Dan is simply following and being ready for what will be the law by the time of the Tucson's race.
He is acting responsible and preparing the racers coming.
I would hope you wouldnt hold that against them.

I am pretty sure the April Race in Sac will end up in the same boat.

To be clear, I have not yet been instructed by the AMA to force this or implement this at a sanctioned event as a Race CD. How ever this is a law the FAA will be requiring whether its a sanctioned event or not, so I assume most CD's will be requiring this.
Pretty sure the law is that all people arriving should be in cars that are registered in one of the states of the US. Will you be checking those registrations as well? The AMA says they are not responsible for enforcing FAA's illegal registration. The law does not say you have to do so either. You are only putting your race club in jeopardy of a law suit.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:22 PM
MFLOOD3800

Sport,
You use my quote but I am not the one from the Tucson club that decided to do the demand.
I also added another post where I talked to my AMA district X rep and he said, We don not need to police this as CD's, its the FAA's job.

How ever if the club, which is owned by the city, views this new ruling as something they want the club to do, the club ought to do it.
Not sure how that opens up a lawsuit?

I also, after talking with the AMA rep, dont see Sams will have to do it for their April race, as I originally posted that i thought they would.

Also just got new email from AMA that they are working on a new resolution to all of this for further clarification.

Dan, If I can make it, I will have some juice for your plane if you'd like to use it?

I also cant remember if I asked or saw, but have you made the switch on the race planes to 2.4? I think you were contemplating doing that on some of the racers?
Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 PM
airraptor

JR DMSS is awesome.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:04 PM
MFLOOD3800

Yes Jeff it is.
No doubt the best system I have used to date.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:07 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Is DMSS FAA approved? Do I need to scrap my Hitec gear to race now?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:50 AM
dan kelly

Already put 3 planes in the ground with 2.4 Marty. 2 were structural failure plain and simple. Not sure of the third one. So to answer your question, yes and no. Have another 2.4 Futaba T7C but I'm a little gun shy putting it in my Mustang. We'll see how it goes after the first race. Thanks for the offer on the fuel Marty. Hope you can
make it.

Dan
Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 AM
HoundDog

Does making your font bold and large mean you have a better idea of what the topic is?
Just to make people understand some here have a great problem of readin comprehention this might explain it. Launch the Hound. BOOOOOM

Old 02-05-2016, 07:12 AM
HoundDog

Read this FAA document on the words "must" has to be there to make Statement
hold water in court ... If it's not there it is invalid for actual prosecution if not followed so always make sure the "MUST" is there before U have to comply.

FAA HomeAbout FAAPrograms & Initiatives
[h=1]What's the only word that means mandatory? Here's what law and policy say about "shall, will, may and must."[/h]
We call "must" and "must not" words of obligation. "Must" is the only word that imposes a legal obligation on your readers to tell them something is mandatory. Also, "must not" are the only words you can use to say something is prohibited. Who says so and why?

Full FAA Text. http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives...les/mandatory/
Old 02-05-2016, 07:16 AM
HoundDog

hound dog instead of posting a pdf that is on their site tell us or me what is different in it?
What is the pro noun IT referring too PLZ explain your self.

Dogs away.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:24 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Pretty sure the law is that all people arriving should be in cars that are registered in one of the states of the US. Will you be checking those registrations as well? The AMA says they are not responsible for enforcing FAA's illegal registration. The law does not say you have to do so either. You are only putting your race club in jeopardy of a law suit.
Nothing Illegal about FAA's Registration ... Nothing in #336 says any thing about "NOT" registering PILOTS of R/C TOY's that fly in the NAS.
HD is launched, flying straight and High level. Impact in 32 minutes. Boom!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM
roy batty

Well now, I must say.
Well done on keeping this whole thing low profile and trying to stay off the radar.
Really, nice work.
I'm quite sure that no one with bad intentions has taken note of any of this.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:06 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by roy batty
Well now, I must say.
Well done on keeping this whole thing low profile and trying to stay off the radar.
Really, nice work.
I'm quite sure that no one with bad intentions has taken note of any of this.
Huh? Who was trying to keep anything off the radar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.