Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

FAA Registration and RCPRO Racing 2016

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

FAA Registration and RCPRO Racing 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:04 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan, The 2.4 is a far superior set up than your older 72mgz
You should still range check your plane before the maiden.
Also always verify your rx has solid lights when you first start to use the set up. I have seen with older 2.4 systems before switching to DMSS that I would get a signal, but my remore Rx's werent solid light, but rather blinking.
The Futaba FASST is a good system as well and doubtful that it was the cuase, unless it never did bind fully.

I have never had a single issue with my new JR set up using DMSS.

Shawn, if I were you, I'd check and see if your Hi-tec is approved for sure.
Seems I read somewhere if you used Hi-tec you needed an additional waiver to participate.
Also, MSDS sheets for all materials used to build those sweet planes, and spec sheets on all your electronics.

I would think you californians would be used to over regulation already?

Dont you guys have to pull a permit to change out your hot water heater?

I foresee more clarification on this FAA rule as well as built in tolerances for AMA clubs, members and events.

Roy, this is hardly the first post or thread on this new ruling. I remember when it first arrived in the public, every top rated thread on the RCU home page was directly related to the FAA ruling. If they were gonna hear anything, read anything they already got all they need. Nothing said in this thread that hasnt been said 100 times already elsewhere.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:25 PM
dan kelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Marty. How you doing? I'm Ok. Used to live in California. Put in 7 yrs while in the Air Force. That was back in the 70's and 80's but even then I thought things were over regulated. Still have a real close friend who I met in tech school who still lives there. He just got back from a cruise to Hawaii (our first duty station together after tech school) and sent me an email saying "the gas prices dropped 15 cents while he was gone". "Cheap gas now! Only $ 1.95 a gallon". When I told him we were only paying $1.42.9 a gallon he got upset and accused me of rubbing it in. He's not really mad at me. Our friendship is beyond all that. Do you think when I race in California this season the AMA will cover my extra fuel expense....ha. Oh yeah, I appreciate your input on the radio stuff but I'm old school. Wasn't using the Futaba System at the time. I was using a Hitec system. Haven't installed the Futaba system in a plane yet. I will though. The guys at our field keep ribbing me about it and I'll get there in my own time. Until then.............what can I say? At least I have an FAA # ha ha ha.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:04 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
Dan, The 2.4 is a far superior set up than your older 72mgz
You should still range check your plane before the maiden.
Also always verify your rx has solid lights when you first start to use the set up. I have seen with older 2.4 systems before switching to DMSS that I would get a signal, but my remore Rx's werent solid light, but rather blinking.
The Futaba FASST is a good system as well and doubtful that it was the cuase, unless it never did bind fully.

Shawn, if I were you, I'd check and see if your Hi-tec is approved for sure.
Seems I read somewhere if you used Hi-tec you needed an additional waiver to participate.
Also, MSDS sheets for all materials used to build those sweet planes, and spec sheets on all your electronics.

I would think you californians would be used to over regulation already?

Dont you guys have to pull a permit to change out your hot water heater?

I foresee more clarification on this FAA rule as well as built in tolerances for AMA clubs, members and events.

Roy, this is hardly the first post or thread on this new ruling. I remember when it first arrived in the public, every top rated thread on the RCU home page was directly related to the FAA ruling. If they were gonna hear anything, read anything they already got all they need. Nothing said in this thread that hasnt been said 100 times already elsewhere.
The 2.4 is a far superior set up than your older 72mgz '72 Mhz'
Only Partially true 5.8 would hace been far better from the standpoint of Freq availability.

That's because the finally got it Right DSM, DSM2 were JUNK DSMX much better and finally DMSS a mush more robust scheme of Spread Spectrum.

The Futaba FASST is a good system
has been error free from the beginning ...
every iteration of fast is excellent.

But let's not argue the merits and weakness of R/C Radio systems.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:51 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

The 2.4 is a far superior set up than your older 72mgz '72 Mhz'
Only Partially true 5.8 would hace been far better from the standpoint of Freq availability.

That's because the finally got it Right DSM, DSM2 were JUNK DSMX much better and finally DMSS a mush more robust scheme of Spread Spectrum.

The Futaba FASST is a good system
has been error free from the beginning ...
every iteration of fast is excellent.

But let's not argue the merits and weakness of R/C Radio systems.

Yes I missed the G key, they are next to each other.

Dsm and its variables were a spektrum engineered protocol not JR. JR, at the time, linked up with Horizon Hobby, and simply piggy backed on this new SS technology to be a part of it until they created their own. JR was to offer the higher end equipment and Spektrum was to offer the sport uses. Once the agreement between JR and Spektrum went sour, Jr separated and developed its only 2.4 engineered system - DMSS.
So technically this is their first and only engineered 2.4 platform in the USA.

Dsm, Dsm2 and DSMX are all the same, the only real difference is dsmx allowed more planes in air at once. You could use dsmx remotes with the dsm or dsm2 main rx but not the other way around, if I remember correctly. You could not use the dsmx rx and a dsm or dsm2 remote together
I had all 3 and when I sent my Tx in for the update, this is what I was told.
Its sole purpose was for larger events with huge entries making it safer for the planes to not cross pollinate on their frequencies.

Futaba's first attempts had issues with the higher temps causing lock outs. This happened to me and 2 other Giant scale racers on the same day in So Cal on a dry lake bed practicing for an upcoming race. The other 2 guys were Futaba sponsored pilots. At the time futaba issued a statement that in ambient temps above 150 this could happen, but we all had temp guns to monitor our head temps and we saw the temps at 120 still causing this failure. I was actually there when they called their team rep and shared the real time data they were facing, even at lower temps than originally released. The 2 futaba sponsored pilots lost their $7000 racers, I was fortunate to have mine on the straight and level when it happened to my racer and it reconnected and came back.

I continue to believe The right 2.4 system is far superior than the 72 mhz. My DMSS system has not had one of the many issues the old shiney pull out antenna thingys had.