Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

Giant Scale Air Racing alive and well!

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Giant Scale Air Racing alive and well!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 07:52 PM
RobertV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale Air Racing alive and well!

For those of you who haven't been exposed to giant scale air racing in recent years, the "Unlimited Scale Air Racing Association (USRA)" series is quite healthy these days and promoting great racing in it's annual "World Championship Series". The first event was held a couple of weeks ago in Rantoul, IL as major sponsor JR/Horizon Hobby ran an amazing contest. The racing was fast and furious! Look for details in an upcoming issue of "Fly RC" magazine or on the Outdoor Channel program "Inside RC". The remaining two championship events of the 2005 seaon are in Ashtabula, OH (near Cleveland) on August 18-21 and Parker, AZ on October 20-23.

Details of the USRA, the racing it promotes, and anything else you would like to see can be found at: www.usrainfo.org
Old 07-03-2005, 10:00 PM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Giant Scale Air Racing alive and well!

c ya in Ohio man
Old 07-03-2005, 11:35 PM
P. Johnson
My Feedback: (1)

40 miles away....and I missed it....how did this happen? [&o]
Old 07-04-2005, 12:59 AM
colesifer3d314

to busy with the small stuff man...i had the same problem...ill be in Ohio though
Old 07-04-2005, 09:07 AM
RobertV

Cole,

Larry Lewis and I (the NC contingent) will be in Ashtabula and look forward to meeting and racing with you and all the rest of the folks we met in Illinois!

"thestorm",

Your dilemma in missing a race that was only 40 miles away is exactly why I started this thread. The racing is really going strong but for some reason, many modeler's don't even know about it. I know many people who have always wanted to do it but had issues like, "they only have races in California" or "I can't afford the time, money, or skill to get one going" or even "those guys are cut-throat competitors that only look out for themselves". Well, all of these are untrue! With the Horizon/Zenoah sponsorship, they have created the new (2 years old now) Formula 1-GT class where anyone can fly one of the great looking 42% Formula One designs but you have to use a stock Zenoah GT-80. The race organizers provide the gasoline and prop. So the racing is very close and, in fact this has quickly become the most popular class. If you want to go faster, you take the same airframe, have your GT-80 converted to alcohol and you're Formula 1-Pro ready! The GT's go 150-160 mph and the Pros go 180-200. Of course, you can also start in the Dominator (big Moki 2.10 powered Quickees) or fly in Biplane, Thompson Trophy, AT-6, or the awesome Unlimited and Experimental classes, too.

Larry and I are rookies in the GT class this year (pics attached) and from the very start we have had unbelievable support from the entire USRA community. Rantoul was our first race and the support continued there, too. Fortunately, we both won some heats made it to trophy rounds! I have never experienced this much fun in all my years in the hobby! Larry and I are hooked and we are bringing in more with us! I encourage everyone to jump in and see what the excitement is all about.........

Robert Vess
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52942.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	293436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83006.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	293437  
Old 07-04-2005, 12:28 PM
colesifer3d314

Robert, if u dont know, my pop races GSR a while back...Blues Brothers racing was his team...so ive been involved with GSR for almost all my life...ask Kmac and all the guys on Extra...they will tell u some storys about the go-ped ordeal...haha, still makes me laugh..im hoping to be flying for Holly Hollingsworth, not sure if we will be in pro or GT but i will be flying the Rivets T-Tail he has if it gets finished in time..if not i will still be making the trip...good times and alot of good people out there...

im hoping to be running a Vendetta next season if i can talk Ralph into building me a motor...hehe

Cole
Old 07-04-2005, 01:10 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I remember blues brothers racing! I forget everybody's names, though. I think there was a guy in it named John that owned West Coast Composites and had his own line of glow fuel called Performance Plus. They also had an engine guy tha was known for his "Skunkworks" racing fuel. Your dad probably knew Tom Easterday of Team Extra Racing. I believe Diego Lopez was on his team as well. Tom use to have an aerobatics show team called Team Extra that I used to be on. When he decided to focus on racing, his team members needed to buy their own airplanes. I was only 19 or 20 at the time, so that was the end of it for me.
I miss the action and wish it was more popular like it was then...some serious fun!
Old 07-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Antique

Yo Cole...There will be a 9000+ rpm 30+ HP Herbrandson twin waiting here when you get the airplane, the crank is out being welded right now...
220+ mph guaranteed, you and Don Corum and his 32 HP Herbrandson powered Bearcat well be able to terrorize the old guys...
Maybe not Ohio, but pretty sure for Parker....[

A 200 mph formula 1 is only a gleam in someone's eye right not, but we keep getting faster all the time...
Old 07-04-2005, 05:03 PM
colesifer3d314

Body Works,

yup thats us, the team ur talking about was the origninal team and then they all broke up and made TeamExtra..they r still going strong. John is running with Speed Deamons..then the team was my dad, Ken Thornton "Elwood", Ron Eisner, Joe Marine, and some other crew members. ran strong for many years, but decided enough was enough...NOW ITS MY TURN!!

Ralph,

AWESOME!!! i cant wait, i just gotta get this airplane ready to go now...i will hope to have it ready for Parker. Me and Don will tear it up out on the course.

Cole
Old 07-04-2005, 06:08 PM
RobertV

Cole,

I've also heard of "Blues Brothers" racing. The black-n-white motif worked well and the planes were fast as I recall as a spectator at Madera, CA and Jean, NV several years back. I'll have to ask Kenny Mac about the go-ped! It would be great to see you racing Holly's Rivets. We need a bunch of different designs to make it diverse. I hope you have something for those GR-7s, though! I certainly appreciate Holly's patience with us "green-horns" at the flight line in Rantoul, too!

Body Works,

You mention Team Extra....well, it's a small world. Tom Easterday and Diego Lopez kit the Kelly's that Larry and I built and answered a bunch of our questions that really helped us along. Their race team is also still a class act (not to mention, fast!) and something to aspire to. Tom's company, CRT, puts money into the purse for the pro classes and it's very much appreciated by all. The whole racing scene seems to be gaining steam again and I'm glad I was in a position to join the fun now.

I hope to see both of you on the circuit!

Robert Vess
Old 07-04-2005, 06:35 PM
colesifer3d314

i dont know if we got anything planned for the GR-7s or not eh Ralph?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

I remember blues brothers racing! I forget everybody's names, though. I think there was a guy in it named John that owned West Coast Composites and had his own line of glow fuel called Performance Plus. They also had an engine guy tha was known for his "Skunkworks" racing fuel. Your dad probably knew Tom Easterday of Team Extra Racing. I believe Diego Lopez was on his team as well. Tom use to have an aerobatics show team called Team Extra that I used to be on. When he decided to focus on racing, his team members needed to buy their own airplanes. I was only 19 or 20 at the time, so that was the end of it for me.
I miss the action and wish it was more popular like it was then...some serious fun!
Team Extra Aerobatics huh,,, those where the good ole days

BV
#1 Slot Team Extra Pilot,,, from way back when Cole was smaller than a grasshopper
Old 07-05-2005, 08:16 AM
colesifer3d314

ORIGINAL: Bill Vargas

Team Extra Aerobatics huh,,, those where the good ole days

BV
#1 Slot Team Extra Pilot,,, from way back when Cole was smaller than a grasshopper
LOL
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Antique

The tail on the Rivets is giving Holly problems....If he can't get it fixed it WILL get a normal setup..... You'll just have to land faster [&o]
Old 07-05-2005, 09:33 AM
colesifer3d314

thats fine Ralph, hey, if i can land a q-40 im sure i can land this big dog

i ment to ask u...what happend to the motor that my dad had in this airplane??? couldnt we use it? still lookin for parts for ya.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Antique

Don't know, but the best speed from a Bully is too slow for what they're doing now, about 185......We CAN do a methanol GT80 also.....
Old 07-05-2005, 02:42 PM
colesifer3d314

im down!! that would be wicked awesome! we gotta do somthing to get this extra couple pounds goin!!

Cole
Old 07-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Luvara Air Racing will be back racing at the Parker race in October. Unfortunately, there's too many other things preventing us from traveling all around the country this year to make the other races.

Hopefully, once a major project leaves my shop this month, my Sundowner will get laid up and I'll ressurect the fire breathing Aerrow 75... Yes, a single cylinder!

Nice work on the planes Robert and Larry!

If you want a trip down memory lane, visit www.luvaraairracing.com and go to the galleries.

Michael
Old 07-07-2005, 04:56 PM
RobertV

Mluvara.

Thanks for the kind words on our planes. I can certainly say the same thing about your Sundowner. I've been following your posts on its progress and flight testing and it's an awesome bird! You mention something about "laying one up".....don't you still have the one you've flown?

PS - I just ordered two of your neat little RC-100 electronic switches for our Kelly's. It will save us some weight and complexity for sure!

Robert Vess
Old 07-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Mluvara

Hi Robert,

The prototype is still around and doing well... Both my brother and I fly, so the first airplane ended up being his... He'll be racing it in the GT class. I'll campaign one in the regular F1 class.

Then there's the task of possibly doing a wing mold for the plane.. ugh.. more work.

Michael

Old 07-26-2005, 10:49 AM
grubs4flyn
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Robert, send me an email so we can correspond over the web. I hardly use phones any more. I talked to you the other night about wanting to find some members of the local club that were going to the Aug 19 event Cleveland. I need to tag along with someone if possible, maybe share expenses. Also, let me know when you are going to practice one day. I'd love to watch or help out in any way. Clyde wants to come too. I've almost talked him into going to Cleveland too. He use to F1 and Q 500 a bit as I'm sure you know. Can't wait to see you and Larry's planes. Until then..

[email protected]
Old 02-12-2006, 03:30 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

If you want a trip down memory lane, visit www.luvaraairracing.com and go to the galleries.

Mike, that is the best picture that anyone has ever taken of my airplane. You should stick to photography. I don't want to have to race against you.
[&:]

That was back when I was running the Bully 75 (2000-see the huge purple cylinder). That same plane now has a stock GT-80.
Yes, memories. . .
Old 02-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Mluvara

I think Chris took that. He's the better photographer
Old 05-30-2017, 01:56 PM
Cirelli

Originally Posted by colesifer3d314
Robert, if u dont know, my pop races GSR a while back...Blues Brothers racing was his team...so ive been involved with GSR for almost all my life...ask Kmac and all the guys on Extra...they will tell u some storys about the go-ped ordeal...haha, still makes me laugh..im hoping to be flying for Holly Hollingsworth, not sure if we will be in pro or GT but i will be flying the Rivets T-Tail he has if it gets finished in time..if not i will still be making the trip...good times and alot of good people out there...

im hoping to be running a Vendetta next season if i can talk Ralph into building me a motor...hehe

Cole
I used to race with the Blues Brothers at the GSR & I wonder if your Pop's name might be Kenny? He & I became friends back in the 90's. I would sure like to know how he is doing. The last thing I remember him saying to me was "I will go 1/2 way to Texas to get you if that old motor home breaks down". That was when we were leaving going back to Texas from one of the California races. If you know Kenny, tell him Hippy said Hi.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

Yea, Hippy, That is "Little Dude". But he's not so little any more.
Nice to hear you are still on the interwebs. One of my fondest memories is racing against you and Nancy with her masterful "READY - - TURN!"
Sometimes I couldn't hear my own caller but I still knew when to turn.
Funny how time flies. It's only been 11 years since the last post on this forum.
Just in case anyone has any doubts about the health of USRA, I just found out that their next race is in California City, CA in October.
The BLM and dusty lake bed at Rabbit got old and they have a fully paved airport again. The airport and the city are excited about the possibility of Air Racing returning to the Mojave Desert near Mojave, CA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.