Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Lancair Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 02:47 PM
JET FX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lancair Legacy

Hi guys, does anyone know if there are any kits or plans available for the Lancair Legacy 2 seater with retracts... Iam looking for 1/4 or 1/3 scale ideally, is there anything out there???

Cheers- Marty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43412.jpg
Views:	1571
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	311971  
Old 08-23-2005, 01:23 PM
T34RACING
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Lancair Legacy

THERE IS 60 SIZED LEGACY'S ON EBAY...NEW ARF.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:12 PM
JET FX

Hi Kevin, I think its likely to be the Great Planes Lancair ES (see below) on Ebay if the one you are refering to is an ARF and is 60 sized.... they do look similar but the Legacy has a different canopy profile, retracts and has a different wing design. That said it would be possible to kit bash the ES into a Legacy but I was ideally looking to see if I could find a Legacy kit in 1/4 or 1/3 scale, such as used in experimental giant scale class R/C pylon racing...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80076.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	314105  
Old 08-25-2005, 01:32 AM
stregaracer007

Kevin's not seeing things. I also saw the ad on Ebay and it is a Lancair Legacy ARF. But, its 40 size with 61" wing and no retracts. Definitely not the GP Lancair ES.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:12 PM
JET FX

ORIGINAL: stregaracer007

Kevin's not seeing things. I also saw the ad on Ebay and it is a Lancair Legacy ARF. But, its 40 size with 61" wing and no retracts. Definitely not the GP Lancair ES.
Do you have a link to the Ebay listing? must be scratch built and ARF, I was assuming Kevin meant a 60 size Legacy production ARF??? Iam not aware of any companies manufacturing any model Lancair ARF apart from GP....
Old 08-25-2005, 01:30 PM
stregaracer007

Just checked eBay and its gone.

The company that posted the ad was called SkyDesignUSA. The ad said they were the US distributor and located in Pennsylvania. When I did a search of their other items on eBay, I saw they also offer several other kits: Quickie (homebuilt), Long-EZ and Cessna 182. All ARFs.

From the pictures, the kit comes painted (blue and white) and included a full set of hardware. The only bad thing I saw was the cowl color did not match the fuse. The cowl looked off-white; whereas, the fuse was bright white. That and the absence of retracts. Also, it doesn't have the Legacy wing design, so it looks more like a Lancair 320/360.

Just did a search and found the kit on eBay Germany(?):

http://stores.ebay.at/hobbyshoppingm...erLinksQQtZkm?
Old 08-25-2005, 04:26 PM
JET FX

ORIGINAL: stregaracer007

Just checked eBay and its gone.

The company that posted the ad was called SkyDesignUSA. The ad said they were the US distributor and located in Pennsylvania. When I did a search of their other items on eBay, I saw they also offer several other kits: Quickie (homebuilt), Long-EZ and Cessna 182. All ARFs.

From the pictures, the kit comes painted (blue and white) and included a full set of hardware. The only bad thing I saw was the cowl color did not match the fuse. The cowl looked off-white; whereas, the fuse was bright white. That and the absence of retracts. Also, it doesn't have the Legacy wing design, so it looks more like a Lancair 320/360.

Just did a search and found the kit on eBay Germany(?):

http://stores.ebay.at/hobbyshoppingm...erLinksQQtZkm?

Never heard of 'SkyDesign' and nothing came up when I did Google web search that I could find.... the link to German Ebay showing the ARF Lancair looks interesting just would now like to see the SkyDesign website (if it exists) for some specs and info on their kits,
I would really like a Long-Eze also if I could find one???
Old 08-25-2005, 06:13 PM
stregaracer007

Well I found their website, but its still under construction.

http://www.skydesignusa.com/

Updated: I found out whose making them: www.avia-richmodel.com
Old 10-31-2005, 11:13 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the RichModel aircraft that are in the US now, the LongEZ, Quickie, electric and .40 size, HellCat (beautiful airplane), Electric Extra330, LancAir (another beautiful airplane) are all available now through Fulton's Hobby shop in Wheeling, WV 304-233-5355. or at www.fultonshobbies.com The website will be updated very soon. Also, I'm currently working on rewriting some of the instruction manuals,

Thanks,

Arch Stafford
Old 10-31-2005, 12:05 PM
JET FX

Cool, I like the look of their LongEZ does anyone have some more detailed pics of the LongEZ as its a bit hard to tell overall quality from the posted pics...

Cheers-
Old 11-04-2005, 09:48 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

The Long EZ is really pretty and excellent workmanship. Another guy built one and his post is here. Do a search on Rich Model and you'll find it. He goes into some detail and he even added a nose gear retract for scale appearance. I can take pics if you'd like of mine, or even just of one in the box if you want to see,

Thanks

Arch Stafford
[email protected]
Old 11-09-2005, 05:12 AM
panzerd18

CMPro have just released a Lancair 360 2 seater.

http://www.cmpairplane.com/lancair-50.htm
Old 01-28-2006, 12:28 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Who sells the CMPro Lancair in the USA?
Old 01-28-2006, 12:31 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

AK-Models sells this 60 size Lancair 320/360 two seater that you saw on Ebay.

http://ak-models.com
Old 01-29-2006, 01:22 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The Lancair used in Giant Scale is not the Legacy...The Legacy is a little different..The full size Legacy holds the World record at about 347 mph..Owned by Rick Schrameck, it was the first one built from the factory kit...Took about 4 months...It's supercharged and was flown by Dave Morss...
usrainfo.org has Giant Scale Lancair race plane kits available, pricey.....
They run about 220 mph with an Aerrow 200 for power and hold the record in the experimental class...No longer raced, there might be a few left...Post an inquiry in the website....
Old 02-04-2006, 01:10 AM
Jet_Viol8r

Hate to burst your bubble, but the world record was broken last year by the Thunder Mustang.

June 23, 2005
Blue Thunder Air Racing is proud to announce that on Saturday June 4th, John Parker piloting Blue Thunder, set two new world speed records during the EAA Golden West Regional Fly-In and Air Show in Marysville, CA. The Class C1c 3km world record was upped 30mph to 374mph. In the same class, the 15/25km world record was upped 75mph to 376mph.

Blue Thunder’s fastest pass was an astonishing 383mph, making Blue Thunder without a doubt, the world fastest normally aspirated aircraft.

If it makes you feel any better, Darryl Greenamayer flying a Lancair Legacy won Gold for the fourth time in a row at 364.9 mph.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:09 PM
dtopper

I do [email protected]
Old 08-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Carlos G

Hi Marty,

Wendell Hostetler offers plans for a built-up version of a Lancair 4 in a giant scale. Wendell can make the plans most any scale you would like. You maybe be able to modify it to make it a Legacy without too much trouble.

I hope this helps

Carlos G
Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Wildman007
My Feedback: (4)

Hello out there
I need a little help with a friends Lancair- Legacy 40 size, He got the plane to me and the CG was off bad, the book says its 68mm from the leading edge, I first took the steel rods out of the tail and replaced them with carbon fiber, BUT am going to have to put almost 1 Lb. of weights in the noise to get the CG right, I have moved ever thing I can to the nose and stll going to have to put some 14 oz in the noise, Is the CG right in the book, do I check the CG right side up are turn the plane upside down??????

Would love the HELP
Keep it in the air
Thanks Wildman
Old 10-03-2010, 02:33 PM
worrick69

I too have this same plane and problem as poster above, Is the cg of 68mm not correct? Plane balances upside down at 3.35 inches and would require about 14 oz weight at 68mm. D not want to fly until I know for sure. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:53 AM
ctkeller

Hello Arch, I called the hobby shop you mentioned and they no longer carry rich models. Question: Did you have or build a Lancair-Legacy? I just finished and find the plane will need about a pound of lead in the nose to get the CG. Not good!
Thanks, CTKeller
Old 10-13-2010, 11:58 AM
ctkeller

I just finished my Lancair and find that it is really tail heavy. It would take a pound of lead to get the right CG. The guys at the club last night suggested moving the engine forward. I check out putting in a OS 91 4s and it would have to be about 6" ahead of the existing fire wall!!!!!!
I think that this model plane is a copy of the actual plane but they did not do the math to know what the weight distribution needed to be. I'm afraid it will be a hanger queen.