Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

F1-GT GR-7 where can u get them?

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

F1-GT GR-7 where can u get them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Mike3579
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F1-GT GR-7 where can u get them?

What company sells the F1-GT GR-7? Can you get them as a kit, arf, or just plans? These planes are mostly powered by Zenoa GT 80's right?
Old 11-12-2005, 04:27 PM
TIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F1-GT GR-7 where can u get them?

Look to the lower left hand side & click "Kit Manufacturers"

http://www.usrainfo.org/
Old 11-13-2005, 09:00 AM
RobertV

That's right. The USRA site has the links to manufacturers. But it's not totally up to date. Ken McSpadden (Quick Turn) is not the dealer for GR-7's anymore (but certainly still wins with one!). Now Tom Easterday has parts made from those molds. So just give him a call (Team Extra) at the number listed in the ad on the site and he'll hook you up.

Are you going to join us for some giant-scale racing next season?
Old 11-13-2005, 09:03 AM
RobertV

Oh yeah, I forgot your other question. In the F1-GT class everybody must run a STOCK Zenoah GT-80 on 87 octane gas (supplied at the races) with a stock APC prop that was designed for this race series (also supplied at the races or available from APC - just ask for the F1-GT prop).

If you join us, I can tell you right now that this will be some of the most exciting RC flying you have ever done!
Old 11-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Mike3579

I would love to join you guys and do some racing!!!! I will certainly try and get one built by next year. Are there any races on the east coast around PA? I don't mind traveling but I would love it if there were some races on the east coast? Is there anything that you need to have (besides the plane) like certifications or waivers or can you just show up with a plane? Is there a novice (beginner) class in the F1-GT ? Cant wait to start building a plane like this!! How are they to build? I guess I'm just full of questions.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:15 AM
RobertV

Mike,

There are three races in the USRA season right now. The first is in Rantoul. IL (near Champaign), the second in Ashtabula, OH (near Cleveland), and the final one is in Parker, AZ (one the CA side). The Ashtabula race would be quite close to you for sure.

All the rules for each racing class are on the USRA website. I'd suggest that you look over the entire site. Especially look at the F1-GT rules. But once a particular race design is approved, it is OK to race it. The first time you show up at a race with a new plane, you go through an inspection from a USRA rep and he will issue you a log book and some serial numbers for that plane. You use all of that to document the safety history of that airframe. Any time you have an issue that requires work on that structure, you log it. Then, on Thursday at every race you attend, there's an inspection process followed by a supervised range check with engine running that everyone goes through. As you can see, they are safety minded.

As far as racing is concerned, the real entry-level class is "Dominator" where they race Lanier Dominators (they are just big Quickee 500 type airplanes) with Moki 2.10's on them. It's a good way to get used to racing with little investment in time or airframe. If you wish to race the cool F1-GT's from the start, all I can say is that it just takes some decent thumbs and a good airplane. The engines and props are stock so if you want to be fast, you must fly a fast airplane well. The GR-7 is certainly a good one and has won many races. So then you need to make sure you can fly a consistent course. Look at the rules for the course layout and practice somewhere. You'll need at least a caller to help you negotiate the pylons properly.

The airplanes that are available are all molded composite construction. They require some composites and painting experience but are not "hard" to build. And they don't give you any written instructions if that's what you're used to. So you'll need to frequent the forums on the USRA site with your questions. All the current racers are more than glad to help you in any way! Also, you'll find out from Tom Easterday that you can purchase a built GR-7 too. It's only a matter of what your budget is.

One more thing, a very prominent manufacturer of composite giant-scale airplanes will be introducing a very well-engineered and well known F1 airplane very soon. It will be painted in the mold and will essentially only require you to bolt in the engine and your radio and you're off to fly! It's too soon for me to give any further details but this should make it easier for new people to enjoy racing with less time investment. Watch for it!

Good Luck
Old 11-14-2005, 11:40 AM
TIA

Robert,

Where would be a good place to read about the new F1 when it comes out?

Old 11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
RobertV

Trust me, you'll know when it's out and what it's all about..........
Old 11-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Mike3579

I hope its Composite-ARF I have a couple of their planes and love them!!! I could make the two but the one in Arizona may be too far do to work. I may wait to see what company is going to make one.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:19 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

i heard comp-arf was gonna do a in-mold arf for this class(giant scale), as early as next year. this is non-confirmed , but good source of info.

i went to the parker races and watched 2 days of the races and was a caller for 2 days in the gt class.
im again just speculating and voicing my observatory opinion, but im not too sure everyone was running a stock zen80 there. the straight runs were as far from similar as could be. my team was a main stream sponsored team with one of the original madera pilots at the sticks. his eng was stock but was no match for half the engines there, though he was certainly in the top 5 in pilot skills.
please dont respond negatively to my post, again its just what i saw and concluded from being there. im trying to get a gt class plane as i write this, just for the thrills and extreme competition this class produces.
marty
Old 12-15-2005, 08:21 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

i heard comp-arf was gonna do a in-mold arf for this class(giant scale), as early as next year. this is non-confirmed , but good source of info.

i went to the parker races and watched 2 days of the races and was a caller for 2 days in the gt class.
im again just speculating and voicing my observatory opinion, but im not too sure everyone was running a stock zen80 there. the straight runs were as far from similar as could be. my team was a main stream sponsored team with one of the original madera pilots at the sticks. his eng was stock but was no match for half the engines there, though he was certainly in the top 5 in pilot skills.
please dont respond negatively to my post, again its just what i saw and concluded from being there. im trying to get a gt class plane as i write this, just for the thrills and extreme competition this class produces.
marty
Old 12-16-2005, 01:48 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I am the USRA engine tech inspector...All the airplanes and engines are inspected for control movement and radio range...I usually tach all the engines at the same time...ALL stock GT80s run about the same, 7500 rpm + or - a few....If some of the engines seem slower it could be that they're getting hot and slowing down...In addition to this, we put the pilots's names in a hat after the race and completely tear that engine down..I have not seen any illegal engines so far....If an engine is run long enough it loosens up and runs better....Anyone that wanted to cheat would run the risk of getting torn down...
Old 06-11-2006, 01:19 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

I am the USRA engine tech inspector...All the airplanes and engines are inspected for control movement and radio range...I usually tach all the engines at the same time...ALL stock GT80s run about the same, 7500 rpm + or - a few....If some of the engines seem slower it could be that they're getting hot and slowing down...In addition to this, we put the pilots's names in a hat after the race and completely tear that engine down..I have not seen any illegal engines so far....If an engine is run long enough it loosens up and runs better....Anyone that wanted to cheat would run the risk of getting torn down...
HUGE BUMP

Ralph:
After you tear an engine down--do you put it back together for him? Or does he have to take it home in pieces and do it himself?

I guess I don't understand. Don't you race more than 1 race per day? What if someone wants to tear you down after the first heat? How you gonna bolt it back together in an hour?

I've got a GT-80 here, and had planned on a 30% aerobatic model for it. But, I have always liked speed, and I'd love to get into this. I'm thinking about keeping the 30% aerobatic model light and put a piped G-62 on it instead. Same power and 2 pounds is 2 pounds, right?

I may have access to a Christen Eagle airframe dirt cheap, but the fuse needs a little work from a flat landing. Whats the story on those new wings for the CEII? The thought of hearing that GT-80 scream along at 7500RPM in a 1/3 scale bipe really gets my blood pumping.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:33 PM
lonestareracing
My Feedback: (14)

I have the wing templates for the "RACING WINGS" that we (myself, and Big Dawg) used last year. I will send you a copy of them if you like. what is the MFG of the CEII you have? we were using the Great Planes Model. Give me a call and i will send you all the info for the wings.

Bobby s