Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!!

Some photos taken in my "shop".

I just put in a black deck of heavy contrruction papaer in the cockpit. The overall weight and the difficulty in balancing out any weight that far back scared me a little I do prefer a pilot in the cockpit.

I still have to cut vent holes in the belly I'll probably try to louvre them over or something. Gaping holes doesn't sound that great on this thing for some reason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp42621.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	1138667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Te49010.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	1138668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ml88549.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	1138669  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone used an IC engine in one of these yet. I ordered mine in July '08 and it finally arrived in late Jan/early Feb '09, so it is probably from batch #3. It "just ain't right" for an airplane that looks like this to make a "whirring"sound. It should go "pockata, pockata" so I bought an OS 1.20 Surpass 4-stroker. ( I do love electrics however, and have many) I have never seen any posts from anyone who has done this. Anyone? I have not started assembly yet, so I will take all the great advice on the various improvements needed and especially replace most if not all of the hardware with DuBro stuff.
    Gary James
    AMA CD 68845, NMPRA 15I, RCCA #908

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree about the 4 Stroke. I am putting a Saito 125 in mine. I did encounter some video of one flying with an IC engine. I will try and re locate the video and post a link.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Video of Gee Bee R3 with 4 Stroke (I believe).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWcmBp9pYG0

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bored some "Speed holes" in my plane!

Actually vent holes, allow a lot of pressure relief and some airflow over the various parts and battery.

Was a bit tormented about how to make the vent holes and not compeltely ruin the planes looks but then the pattern of holes idea hit me, it's "period" art and archetecture form anyway There is another set on the other side of corse. Will proably paint the exposed balsa red tomorrow. I am 100% ready to maiden, but the finale of a state wide bike race is closing the road to our airfield early tomorrow so it'll have to wait till next weekend now

Name:	Mk27115.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	1141812  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Vent holes look good. Nice work. Will you post a video of your Maiden flight?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I'll be videoing it.

I found I have some vibration at top RPM with that big plastic spinner. I need to put a smaller/better one on I think. Probably good that I have another week to fine tune it anyway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just completed the assembly of the Donuts Gee Bee R3. Gonna fly it this weekend if the weather permits. I used an OS Max 75 AX as the power. Had to cut and modify the firewall to install a pitts style inverted muffler (from Great Planes). Used a Vortec 3-1/4" spinner and it looks good. The kit was alright, but really overpriced. The kit included two left side wheel pants, although they were marked left and right. Called Hobby Lobby and they sent me a new set without a problem. Replaced all the wheels with a size larger (I fly off a grass strip). Attached the tailwheel strut to the pant with thick CA, we'll see how that holds up. Really poor instructions, it was hit and miss trying to find hardpoints in the wings for the flying wire tabs and screws for the wheel pants (which I reinforced inside the wing). Also had to bend the landing gear struts several times to get them even with each other and straight with the fusalage. The hardpoints behind the firewall for the cowl mounts are a joke, rebuilt those also and added two more. Did not use the clevises in the kit for the flying wires, found some that were smaller and stronger. Also put four turnbuckles on the belly of the fusalage that tightens up the whole flying wire system pretty good (reinforced the interior of the fusalage where these wires attach). With the OS Max motor and muffler, the model balanced with the 4.8 battery located just aft of the rudder servo. Decided not to bother with a cockpit and pilot, just painted the interior of the canopy with gloss black and it looks fine. One nasty problem I found with the kit was the axle tabs at the wheels that attach to the flying wires. As you tension the wires, the tabs press against the wheel and binds the wheel from free turning. I worked with bending the tabs several times and got them as good as the system would allow, then put some teflon oil in the assembly to get some semblance of a wheel that would turn. It isn't good, but I think it may work. If I had it to do over again I would use two axle collars on each side of the wheel to isolate this problem. Don't know how it flys yet, but it sure looks good !

Good Luck to all with this airplane ............... TONY

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Attached the tailwheel strut to the pant with thick CA, we'll see how that holds up.
    In an older set of instructions I found that the plastic piece with two holes in it and seemingly no other purpose is supposed to be used to screw into the ply on the inside of the rear wheel pant and over the strut to help keep it on.

Had to find some nice short screws outside the hardware kit to make it work though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why vent holes?

Anyone just choose to close up the firewall?

Charles
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Avojet:

The Esc and the BEC require cooling, it's also nice that the battery get some air as well so having a decent airflow through the electrics is a good idea.

Tonyo:

Have you weighed your plane yet?

I'm up to exactly 8.5 lpbs or 135 oz with the new batteries. Yow! The advertiesed flying weight is under 7.5...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for that explanation. Vented because of "electric." Understandable.

Thanks,

Charles.
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It was a beautiful day for flying. Maidened and... lost the craft, though not on the same flight. Only the second airplane I've ever totaled. This is becoming all too common a story

CG was spot on, and I tested it in inverted flight in the air, no problem there. I still don't know exactly what happened but I'm guessing a stall when banking, even though I was going pretty fast.

Take offs are very tricky, after three take-offs I found that the best thing you can do is just gun it and be prepared for corrections.

Landing was not bad. Flat turns and knife edges were easy, esier than my 3dhs Extra 300.

The entire craft flies very strangely really, a different experience. But keep the throttle up, WAY up all the time no less than 3/4, come in hot with nose down. I test stalled it at altitude and it's an instant snap over and death spiral. Course mine was heavy which doesn't help things.

About the loss; Coming in on approach on the third flight I was banking around and I usualy start throttling down (Our field has a short approach due to agreement with the land owner) but I was still going fast I thought. Half way around the plane just rotates over and spirals in, I barely had time to cut the throttle to minimize damage to the electronics. If this were 72 mhz I'd be SURE I was shot down.

When I got to the plane the Rx was powered but not blinking (Spektrum) and all control surfaces were still functioning. Besides the airframe the Lipo had two cells punctured so that's a loss as well.

It sure looked nice in the air though. I'll have video up later.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow!

Sorry to hear of the loss of your aircraft, LAdams02... Especially after putting in all the work that you did. I had high hopes that your first flight (and many others after) would go well, but that was not to be.

I hate to loose a plane also, especially this one, but after hearing about so many crashes, especially on the maiden flight, I'm starting to wonder if there is something fundamentally wrong with how the plane is designed.

My 2nd Gee Bee R3 is done now, and hanging from the ceiling in the garage, waiting for better weather to come. Before I fly it, I'm going to go over it with a fine tooth comb to see if I missed anything.

Are you going to rebuild, or was it a total loss?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's taking me longer to get the video up than I thought. Kind of hard to watch :/

I scrapped the plane tonight, but before taking it apart I plugged a battery in and tested the electronics again. All the control surfaces were solid as a rosk. So bad linkage, hinges, no stripped gears and no misbehaving servos. Just the way it went up. I also tested the "Failsafe" to make sure it was in "Hold" mode and it was, so loss of signal would not account for the sudden rollover.

It also sort of loks like a sudden gust of wind might be responsible but it was dead calm.

The only thing left that makes any sense at all is that I stalled it. But as yuo'll see in the video, it was not exactly a low speed stall.

Ok, got the video up:

Gee-Bee-Maiden.wmv

Looking a tthe video again I just cant see how it was a stall, speed was good, but nothing else fits.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LAdams,

I wached your vedio. Although I have the model, NIB, I actually have not looked at it.

However, my best guess is the airfoil isn't symetrical. This means that you will have less lift on the underside when inverted or at any angle relative to the use of that airfoil.

Your model stalled and torque rolled. It's that simple.

What are they selling for now. I would consider selling mine.

Sorry about your lost.

Charles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Avojet.

Looking at the video again something dawned on me that might exaplin a lot of things.

I was coming around for a landing and going faster than normal, I was about to overshoot lining up with the runway and I think I gave it a little more elevator just before the end there and that's what cause the insta-stall. You can see the plane come around a little sharper just before the snap. It happened exactly like the one I forced earlier in the video by giving it excessive rudder on purpose. Thinking also about the difficulty in transitioning from taxi to flight, I think the one problem that ties them all togeather is that the wing design/position is just extremely intolerant of much A.O.A.

It seems like you have a VERY narrow wing angle to forward direction that you can safely fly in with this plane, coupled with a vicious stall behavior (well at 8.5 pounds anyway), too much elevator = wipeout. Weirdly I saw this exact behavior at times in Real Flight with the model of the airworld R-3. I wonder how long before the flight sims are actually good enough to design planes in?

Anyway, I still like the way the plane looks and some fo the flight characteristics were pretty nice, rudder maneuvers all went very smoothly. I don't think I'll be replacing it though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow!!

This thing was pretty on the Hobby Lobby site but watching actual video now just has me in stitches. I think I need one as this will definetly look good next to my little Sundowner and my buddies Dago Red Mustang.

So, think a YS110 will fit in it and if so what's a guess on a top speed?

A thread I started has digressed to some chit talking between myself and my buddy. I have the 50" SD with a Jett60 and he's stuffing a YS110 in a Dago. The battle is on but I'm thinking of maybe totally mixing his mind up by using this plane instead.

Does it hold any potential for being kinda fast? I need it to hit the low to mid 140's. I'm guessing probably not. (but fingers are crossed)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I found this video. It seems to fly O.K. here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2rd...eature=related

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not convinced that's the same model? Certainly it looks the same, but the color scheme is entirely different. Why is that?

I've mentioned this before with little comment received.

I actually like this scheme much better than the model originally pictured in this Thread.

Yes, my scheme is different than the model on U-tube.

Charles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe that the use of the Texaco logo was without permiossion and they had to change it on the second run of manufacturing. Don;t know if any changes to the model were made other than the covering though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Apart from the covering/decals, it seems to be the same plane. I don't know of any other R3 being produced in this size range. Of course, I don't know for sure. I could see Texaco having issues if there was not prior permissions to use their logo. I will see if I can contact the person who posted that video and see where he got the plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I emailed the person who posted the Texaco R3. He lives in Italy. I hope he understands English as I don't speak Italian. I will post his response regarding where he purchased his plane if/when he responds.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

From the videos I have watched, the plane seems very pitch sensitive.....
    The Airworld 120" WS doesn't seem to have any issues with this....
    THe guy on YOutube with the 400cc moki 20lb engine seems to be able to some aerobatics, and even som makeshift 3D!...

It must be same plane with a different color scheme on it....

I am sure that if you wanted that scheme you could just spray it yourself!

I believe that was a scheme on another brand but same plane...

Although this plane looks fantastic, it appears that the manufacture hasn't done enough (or at all) with flight testing....

The model, for the most part, should not be that hard to make.....
    For the most part, it is a thunderbolt/jug type fuse with wings that can be made in any airfoil
    you want so that it gives you good lift and positive flight results....
    It seems that the HL r3 has some issues that it needs sorting out.... Too bad, really....
    It is a WOnderflul looking plane that is seldome ARF'd....

THose that own this may want to consider placing the PTS wing fillets/droops on it..... It would almost assuridly get rid of the pitch sensitivity
    (that seems to be apperent by the vids) and the dreaded snap/stall this plane has..

This worked really with with H9 Showtime 90. It elliminated the toilet snap of the plane completely!!

Here are the picts of it.... You may want to give it a try....

Name:	Rp43653.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	1163977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uq49701.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	1163978  
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast