Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

F-1 sport in TEXAS - any interest?

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

F-1 sport in TEXAS - any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:30 PM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-1 sport in TEXAS - any interest?

Just curious if there is any interest in this class in TEXAS. Are any clubs considering an event including this new class?

Event 421: Formula 1 Sport (provisional)

I. Airframe

1. Weight

Minimum 7 -1/2 pounds, maximum 10 pounds.

2. Wings

1. Span: Maximum 64 inches.

2. Area: Minimum 750 square inches.

3. Thickness: Minimum 1-1/2 inches, measured at a point 10 inches outboard of wing centerline. Wing thickness shall progress uniformly in a straight line or convex taper from root to tip.

3. Tail Surfaces

Thickness: Minimum ½ inch at junction with fuselage, not including fillets or fairings. Thickness shall progress uniformly in a straight line or convex taper from root to tip.

4. Fuselage
1. Depth: Minimum 9 inches at its deepest point, which shall occur within the wing chord.
2. Width: Minimum 4-1/2 inches at its widest point, which shall occur within the wing chord. Cheek cowls and wing fillets, if any, shall not be included in the width or cross-sectional area measurements.
3. Cross-sectional area: At some point within the wing chord, the fuselage shall have the cross-sectional area of at least 30 square inches.
4. Shape and features:

(a) Profile representations of any significant feather of the full-scale prototype are prohibited.

(b) Cheek cowls and canopy shall have at least a 1-inch radius at their widest point so that a hypothetical 2-inch diameter ball would fit inside, tangent to the outer surface. The base of the canopy, where it intersects the fuselage, shall be at least 2-1/2 inches across, as measured perpendicular to the thrust line.

(c) Cross-sectional contours at the height and width measurements and at stations determining the likeness to the full-scale prototype shall maintain the integrity of the contours of the full-scale prototype. The only exception permitted shall be in the engine compartment.

(d) Cheek cowls shall be equal in size. The combined width of both cheek cowls (or of one cheek cowl and the engine cylinder or muffler, if the engine is mounted with the cylinder or muffler exposed), shall be at least 7 inches as measured across the fuselage perpendicular to the thrust line at a point 2-1/2 inches behind the spinner backplate. All or part of the engine cylinder or muffler may be enclosed within one of the cheek cowls.

5. Spinner: A rounded spinner with a diameter of at least 2-3/4 inches is required.

5. Landing Gear
1. Location: The landing gear shall be fixed and shall resemble that of the full-scale prototype aircraft as to location on the airframe and the number of wheels used; except that if the full-scale prototype used a tail skid, the model shall have a tail wheel. The main wheels shall be at least 10 inches apart, measured parallel to the wing span.
2. Size:

(a) Main wheels: At least 2 of the wheels shall have a diameter of at least 3 inches and a tire radius, measured at the outside edge, of at least 7/16 inch so that a hypothetical 7/8 inch diameter tube would be fully enclosed, tangent to the outer surface.

(b) Nose or tail wheel: The nose or tail wheel shall have a minimum diameter of 1-1/4 inch.

3. Streamlining: Wheel pants, wheel spats, or struts fairings are not required, and are permitted only if they were used on the full-scale prototype.
5. Replica Rule
1. General: Models entered in this event shall be recognizable replicas of full-scale, human-carrying, propeller-driven aircraft that either raced in or were built for the 190/200 cubic inch class of Formula I closed-course racing competition. Models of full-scale aircraft that do not meet the objective requirements of these rules (for example, a model of Wild Turkey whose wing thickness does not progress in a “straight line or convex taper” as required by paragraph I.B.3., or a model of the monowheel version of Fast Lane Exit that does not meet the main wheel track requirement in paragraph I.E.1) are prohibited.
2. Scale appearance: Models are nominally 25 percent scale, subject to the following:

(a) The root and tip chord of the wing may be enlarged or reduced (maintaining approximately the same root-to-tip ratio) in order to meet the wing span and wing area requirements of paragraphs I.B.1 and I.B.2.

(b) Wing and tail outlines shall maintain the integrity of the outlines of the full-scale prototype aircraft, as shown by photographs or 3-views.

(c) The fuselage side view shall maintain the integrity of the outlines of the full-scale prototype aircraft, as shown by photographs of 3-views.

(d) Except as necessary to achieve the minimum width across both cheek cowls as stated in paragraph I.D.4. (d) above, the fuselage top view shall maintain the integrity of the outlines of the full-scale prototype aircraft, as shown by photographs or 3-views.

(e) The fuselage shall measure at least 50 inches from the front of the spinner to the trailing edge of the rearmost tail surface.

(f) Tail group linear dimensions shall be a uniform percentage of full scale, from a minimum of 25 percent to a maximum of 35 percent.

II. Powerplant

1. Engine.
1. Maximum displacement: 0.9153 cubic inch (15.00 cubic centimeters).
2. Configuration: Single-cylinder, front-intake, side-exhaust.
3. Availability, modification: Engines shall be production units assembled from commercially available production parts.
4. Intake: A single carburetor with a single air inlet having a round opening with a maximum inner diameter, at its narrowest point, of 0.435 inch. The carburetor shall be fully functional and shall be stock, except for longevity-enhancing modifications as follows:

(a) Adjustment screws and idle needle valves may be held in place with commercially available thread locker, epoxy, or other adhesives and safe tied with rubber bands, wire, or plastic ties.

(b) Barrel retaining screws or pins may be replaced with commercially available screws or pins of harder material and may be held in place with commercially available adhesives. Barrels may be deburred for smoother movement and may be safe tied with rubber bands, wire or plastic ties.

(c) Throttle arms may be modified or replaced.

5. Exhaust system: The engine shall be equipped with a commercially available muffler meeting the following specifications:

(a) Design. The muffler shall be an expansion chamber muffler, zero-boost muffler, or tuned muffler. Tuned pipes are prohibited.

(b) Dimensions: The muffler shall have one expansion chamber and either one exhaust outlet with a maximum outlet area of 0.08 square inches (equivalent to the area of a round hole measuring 0.32 inch in diameter) or two exhaust outlets with a combined maximum outlet area of 0.1 square inches (equivalent to the area of two round holes measuring 0.25 inch in diameter). The distance from the center of the piston to the far end of the outlet tube(s) shall not exceed 12 inches.

(c) Modifications: The muffler may be tapped for a pressure fitting to supply pressure to the fuel system. No other modifications are permitted.

6. Fuel feed: Other than muffler pressure, no fuel system pressurization is permitted.

2. Propeller
1. Material: APC composite or a similar nylon-or epoxy- based injection molding compound containing chopped fiber reinforcement. Wooden propellers are prohibited. Propellers that are handmade, compression-molded, or contain continuous strands of fiberglass, carbon or aramid fiber are prohibited.
2. Dimensions: Minimum diameter 11 inches.
3. Availability, modification: Propellers shall be commercially available and stock, except as otherwise provided in paragraph 7.5.2. under “General Model Aircraft Requirements”.

3. Fuel

The fuel shall be commercially available, containing not over 15 percent nitromethane. The CD or his/her designee may require any or all contestants, at any time, to use only fuel supplied and dispensed by the hosting organization.

III. Special Provisions

1. Engine idle capability: The CD or his/her designee may require any or all contestants at any time, to demonstrate an idle below 3,000 rpm without changing or readjusting any component. The time period for such idle demonstration shall be long enough to prove that the engine is capable of extended idling, but not longer than 30 seconds. Failing the idle demonstration shall result in a deduction of 2 points from the contestant’s total score. The deduction shall be made at the end of a round and shall not affect the order of finish or points awarded to the contestants in any specific heat.
2. Radio system safety requirements. The aileron (roll) and elevator (pitch) functions shall each employ at least 2 standard-sized, 4-screw servos, one for each control surface. All control horns and pushrod or cable ends connected to the movable tail surfaces shall be external and shall not be covered by any hatches or fairings. The battery pack used to power the airborne radio system shall have a capacity of at least 0.6 ampere-hours (600mAh).
3. “Grandfather” clause. Unmodified, factory-built airframes of the following types shall be eligible for use in this event:

(a) Great Planes Shoestring 60 ARF;

(b) Great Planes Little Toni 61 ARF;

(c) Great Planes Cosmic Wind Minnow Sport ARF; and

(d) World Models Midget Mustang ARF.

4. Local engine rules: The use of an “approved engine” list or other local rules to keep costs down and avoid wide differences in speed among contestants is encouraged. Any such rule should be noted on the sanction application form and in all pre-contest publicity.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 AM
F1race79
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: F-1 sport in TEXAS - any interest?

I am surpised that not more interest is shown, there are a lot of racers in TX.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:29 PM
lonestareracing
My Feedback: (14)

Will the new Kyosho Kelly F1-D be legal in this class of racing. If so, I will go to a race in texas. I know of a couple of others that will also....... Julius, are you in?

BTW, we have got most of the paint off the Kelly.........

Bobby
Old 11-04-2006, 10:17 PM
BUDMAN27

This racer in Texas is interested. Its just that I need time to get the money together for this new stuff.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:17 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this !!!!!!!!!!