Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Sundowner from Hangar 9

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 AM
rchotdogpilot
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sundowner from Hangar 9

Hanger 9 has a new arf racer, [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN4500]Sundowner[/link] called the Sundowner. I've heard through some sources they are going to make this a class of racing at USRA events. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm guessing if it is the case, it would be a stock class. All running the Evo 35, probably.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:16 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sundowner from Hangar 9

I have no idea about your question, but the arf sure looks nice.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-12-2007, 05:48 PM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this look very nice to me
i'm thinking of getting into pylon rc and this looks like a good start.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96360.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	662836  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM
kochj

I have been looking for a plane like this.
If there was a racing class that had this plane with the 26gt gasser, count me in!
What fun it would be. Although the plane is little on the spendy side it would be a heck of fun!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:07 PM
kochj

Looks like a custom muffler for the evo 26gt is included?
Didn't see it in the part listing as option though?[:-]
How will I tell this airplane apart from all the the other racing planes though?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:30 AM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to stick in my G-62 and set a new air speed record for straight-line course with an ARF! Is it possible with this plane?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:13 AM
kochj

Bobzilla
You must know where to find a real formula 1 plane to put it in as I can tell by you animosity toward this plane not being able to put a G80 in it?
I for one don't care if this plane creates a racing class of it's own, as long as it promotes the thrill of air racing and fills up entry blanks that would have stayed empty it's all good! If it creates a market for pylon racing, other manufactures will want to get a piece to of the pie and follow suit. It's just my MHO though.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:19 AM
bobzilla

you animosity toward this plane
you miss-read me dude..I love this plane..i just wish I had an engine that would fit it..as I have a new G62 with no home.
I flew a speed plane last week and it was awesome..but the plane was so thin and fast..you almost lose it when coming straight at you
at near 100mph.

bobz
Old 04-13-2007, 07:34 AM
kochj

I wasn't upset, I definitely misread you though. I have never flown a dedicated formula/speed plane (like those with a g62 or 80 twin) but this plane would fill my need for speed. If a 35cc gt fits I wonder if a ZDZ 40 fia engine would fit, w/o cowl cutting? It's nice that you can get the 35gt up from the 26gt for only fifty more! You would think the 35gt would make it quicker?l
Or the RC showcase ROTO 35 VI may fit as well.

Name:	Nk28237.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	663184  
Old 04-13-2007, 08:10 AM
bobzilla

yeah..zdz...i have zdz50ng and it's a lite bugger..I know manufactures always understate the engines that an ARF can take, and if so
this plane with an 80" wingspan..should be capable. I had 50cc gas in my patty wagstaff and it is only 78"ws. I just wonder if the
plane is built strong enough to support a much larger engine than suggested...it will interesting to see what the general RC'er
does with it! By the way..we had a fellow with an evolution 26 at our field in a large cub and I was not overly impressed with it's power.
My old g-26 (nitro version) had more zippo!!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:37 AM
kochj

I have had experience with the evolution 26gt gasser. I actually tried it on a Funtana 100X w/ the tuned pipe. Well it turned out to be too heavy for my flying style so I yanked it and put in an OS 120 AX nitro. The 26cc GT had plenty of power for the 11lb plane, (more than the 120 AX) but that was with a Tuned pipe. I wasn’t able to compare the pipe vs./ UN piped but pier has got a web page with huge data on these engines. He is in the Netherlands and His Evolution engines are under the name of MVVS and have a red head on the 25, 36 gut’s. One heck of a good guy!
http://www.mvvs.nl/
1451 g for the 35 roto, and 1493 w/ the evolution 35. Close in weight, not sure about the performance comparison. I don't think that the evo 35gt is a big seller (because it is a odd engine size and it is in the heavy side) so I am not sure what kind of rpm's one is getting out of them?

I don't have a whole lot of experience with gas engines (although I am assembling a 1oo DA in a cap 580, 40zdz in a GP Hawk bi-plane, and a DA 50 in a TF giant p-51 mustang. All of which are going to be completed in the next month or so. ) Will the cowling example be enough air for continuous sport flying, w/o overheating? Looks Quit tight in there and not that big of an air exit, for the picts anyway. Perhaps the cowl is really larger in real life an than exit hole is larger than I think (just like the pig spotters say on them)

With so many airplanes to out together and little time, if the 35gt fits great w/o modification to the cowl (keep plane nice and smooth, to minimize drag. Rather than an oversized 50 hanging out the cowl I will go with the 35gt. There is nothing like taking a plane and putting everything together w/o any frustrating moments and countless hours of wasting by molding the engine bay in a plane.

I am not sure what other formula planes cost in this engine size. I don't think there is even an ARF out there available to the masses that I am aware. If this plane catches on, there will be lots of folks modifying the evo 35gt engines to make them go faster and less weight. It should be very interesting.
Cheers
Kochj
Old 04-13-2007, 10:44 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They still need to get the little toni / alley cat class going. So many toys, so little money.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:34 PM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

If and when a race organization incorporates this model as a specific class, expect it to be in stock form and modification of airframe and engine would be extremely limited if allowed at all. Most likely they would specify and provide prop and fuel also, similar to the USRA F1GT class.

Though I imagine altering the color scheme would be highly encouraged.....

Looks like a nice model all around, I'll be getting one for sport flying and will race it if the opportunity arises. Would be nice if it works out that local clubs put on races also, rather than just the USRA.

CG.

ORIGINAL: kochj

I have had experience with the evolution 26gt gasser. I actually tried it on a Funtana 100X w/ the tuned pipe. Well it turned out to be too heavy for my flying style so I yanked it and put in an OS 120 AX nitro. The 26cc GT had plenty of power for the 11lb plane, (more than the 120 AX) but that was with a Tuned pipe. I wasn’t able to compare the pipe vs./ UN piped but pier has got a web page with huge data on these engines. He is in the Netherlands and His Evolution engines are under the name of MVVS and have a red head on the 25, 36 gut’s. One heck of a good guy!
http://www.mvvs.nl/
1451 g for the 35 roto, and 1493 w/ the evolution 35. Close in weight, not sure about the performance comparison. I don't think that the evo 35gt is a big seller (because it is a odd engine size and it is in the heavy side) so I am not sure what kind of rpm's one is getting out of them?

I don't have a whole lot of experience with gas engines (although I am assembling a 1oo DA in a cap 580, 40zdz in a GP Hawk bi-plane, and a DA 50 in a TF giant p-51 mustang. All of which are going to be completed in the next month or so. ) Will the cowling example be enough air for continuous sport flying, w/o overheating? Looks Quit tight in there and not that big of an air exit, for the picts anyway. Perhaps the cowl is really larger in real life an than exit hole is larger than I think (just like the pig spotters say on them)

With so many airplanes to out together and little time, if the 35gt fits great w/o modification to the cowl (keep plane nice and smooth, to minimize drag. Rather than an oversized 50 hanging out the cowl I will go with the 35gt. There is nothing like taking a plane and putting everything together w/o any frustrating moments and countless hours of wasting by molding the engine bay in a plane.

I am not sure what other formula planes cost in this engine size. I don't think there is even an ARF out there available to the masses that I am aware. If this plane catches on, there will be lots of folks modifying the evo 35gt engines to make them go faster and less weight. It should be very interesting.
Cheers
Kochj
Old 04-16-2007, 01:04 PM
kochj

You're correct. There would have to be no modifing of the engines. I looked into what the USRA costs. WOW. Can you say 125$ just to enter a race! That would kill the class before it even started!
I do agree that a class that would use current ARF model racers from certain companies would be great, I believe though right now you have a clash between the new crop of fliers that put ARF's on their table and then there are the folks that believe that only kits and stick building is the only way to put together a racing plane. If you looks at other racing events, like Nascar, and the rc car scene they all include a cheap speck class. But there is a big difference in the cost to enter one of these compared to a air race event. Nascar is neat in that it started with cars that where taken off the dealers floors and taken to the track. It would be really cool to see this happen between the ARF manuafactures in the competing to produce a competative ARF in the class sizes of .46, and the .90 class and then the 26cc gas class. I am sure there are many folks that would love to take there toni series GP Minnow and Toni sport pylon racer out and get down and dirty, turning left!
Perhaps we could start a organization of Governing body right here and now?
[8D]
Old 04-16-2007, 02:15 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

The Sundowner is a great flying model for just about everyone. It flies a lot lie a pattern model. Good aerobatics and sleek and fast. With a 26GT it is a great model and does about 105mph. A side use for the model is that the USRA is probably going to replace their entry level calss which is currently Doninators with this model using the 35GT. Its about 130mph with the 35GT turning an APC 15 x 12.
The G62 is way too big and the ZDZ40 is also too big. The 35Gt is the very top limiti for it, in fact is not racing it, its much better at over a pound less weight with the 26GT.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:12 PM
RobertV

USRA needed a model like this that anyone can buy and fly about anywhere. Great job getting it going, Mike!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:09 PM
kochj

Mike
How has this plane tested? Even though it is able to race, how does it perform for a weekday (my case) flyer? Can you run the full tank w/o any overheating issues?
I would agree that the smaller 26 would be a better all around flyer. I would think the push for the 35gt is the increase in speed? How would one talk with USRA about this plane and what, and If, they are going to use for the engine?
Other question would be, any possibility for a ARC in future? Being that it would be hard to who's who'? out on the coarse.
ORIGINAL: MMcConville

The Sundowner is a great flying model for just about everyone. It flies a lot lie a pattern model. Good aerobatics and sleek and fast. With a 26GT it is a great model and does about 105mph. A side use for the model is that the USRA is probably going to replace their entry level calss which is currently Doninators with this model using the 35GT. Its about 130mph with the 35GT turning an APC 15 x 12.
The G62 is way too big and the ZDZ40 is also too big. The 35Gt is the very top limiti for it, in fact is not racing it, its much better at over a pound less weight with the 26GT.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:20 PM
CRG

The model looks really sharp Mike, nice job. If the USRA thing works out is there any chance we'll see an ARC or white version so we can get some different colors out there?

Craig.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
kochj

Buying one when they come in.
35gt I guess, if that is what the racing class will be!
Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 PM
rchotdogpilot
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw her in person at Toledo and I'll telll you what, gotta have one. As for the ZDZ40 being to big, I'll take the liabilty on myself and put one in there. The ZDZ 40 F3A is about a LBS lighter with more power. I'll get it to fit, may not fit totally in the cowl, but that engine on a tuned pipe and high pitch prop should move.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
kochj

I don't think it would be nessesary for a tuned pipe with that engine, although it would make it quite smooth, or really top end fast! If that is how you tuned it. Do you know something I don't know? Could you put in a pipe tunnel in the plane?
The only reason I would not want to put a zdz 40 F3a in the plane is because of the competition rulings,and a tuned pipe would kill the look of the plane, IMHO![X(]
by the way, that is a st .90 two stroke next to the ZDZ 40F3a. It does say 40 RE on side of the engine but look at the prop hub and that is the tell tale sign of the F3A model!
ORIGINAL: rchotdogpilot

I saw her in person at Toledo and I'll telll you what, gotta have one. As for the ZDZ40 being to big, I'll take the liabilty on myself and put one in there. The ZDZ 40 F3A is about a LBS lighter with more power. I'll get it to fit, may not fit totally in the cowl, but that engine on a tuned pipe and high pitch prop should move.

Name:	Fd92563.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	670690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61938.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	670691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71627.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	670692  
Old 04-23-2007, 06:19 PM
cjoker5475

what servo's do they recommend for the sundowner. being a average sport flyer I dont need the fastest and the best. Just average type servo's that will work good for sport flying.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:13 PM
victorzamora

according to the Hangar9 website all you need are 6 standard digital servo's. I'm guessing that Futaba 3151 (i think that's the code) or equivalent. I think that's 1 per aileron, 1 for throttle, 1 for rudder, 2 for elevator. I think I'd definitely go 72+ oz/in on the rudder...just to make sure. Plus, I'd fly it more pattern than racing . I'd still go with a HT servo on the rudder, but that's my opinion. I would LOVE to use this plane as my first gasser, I've always loved the sound of gas engines and the thought of them. Well, let's start convincing the father of the house that HE wants one...so I can kidnap it before he flies it and crashes it (shaky thumbs, he's got). That's a gorgeous plane, congrats to all those who get their claws on one 'em bad boyz!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:26 PM
CRG

Horizon recommends the DS821 for the Sundowner. Those are proving to be a great digital servo for sport use and are what I'll use in mine. Is it June yet... ?

There's no particular need for a higher torque rudder servo, it's not a 3D model and I expect you'd be using the rudder most on takeoff and landing.

Craig.

ORIGINAL: cjoker5475

what servo's do they recommend for the sundowner. being a average sport flyer I dont need the fastest and the best. Just average type servo's that will work good for sport flying.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:00 AM
victorzamora

I agree, there's no real need for a HT servo on the rudder, but as I corrected myself later...I wouldn't be 100% dedicated to flying that beautiful thing as a pylon plane. I think I'd actually spend more time doing 8-point rolls and one-roll circles (well...trying them. What I'd be DOING a lot of is attempting to dodge the ground). I'll probably also get a .40 size pattern plane (probably a WM Zen 50 w/ Retracts **drools**), but I'd love to fly at our local IMAC comp's with this plane under what little control I pretend to have . I guess it all depends on what you plan to do with the plane, right??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.