Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

warbird racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 AM
PylonDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warbird racing

I am thinking of attending the victorville and basin warbird races coming up. Is this the model that is legal for the classes they are running??? The World Models Dago Red Mustang-46
and

The World Models P-51 Mustang-46

If i understand the rules correctly with a 46 you race in the bronze class. With a 61 you race in the silver and the gold class runs the ys 110 ????
Old 02-28-2008, 03:44 PM
PylonDave

Default RE: warbird racing

anybody???
Old 02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're on the right track with regard to engine size; a .46 is certainly no faster than Bronze, and a .61 will not likely put you into Gold.

While almost everyone on Gold is running a YS, I've seen YS-powered WM P-51s turn Silver class times. In other words, the course you fly makes a big difference.

The regular World Models P-51s are a little lighter and less expensive than the glass-fused Dago Red, if that makes any difference.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:49 PM
PylonDave

I thought i saw a listing at tower for the 46 sized Dago red for $99.00 . I can't find it now. was i dreaming??? IF anyone has a link to one let me know.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:15 PM
T34RACING
My Feedback: (1)

Tower Hobbies does not carry the World Models line. You can get them direct from Airborne Models, your local hobby shop or you can call Norred Aero Products ( ME ) in San Jose.

The aircraft that I believe you say is the Phoenix Strega for $99.00. Many are using it for racing even though it needs a lot of structure strength if you put a big motor in it.

Kevin Norred.

As for the Warbird classes, we run a entire different set of rules here in the Bay area. We have a world models class that you can use only a O.S. 61 FX engine. A couple years ago, I went to race in Sacramento and with the WOrld Models Stock Mustang and a stock O.S. 61 FX, we flew the tops of the pylons and broke out in Bronze every heat. I think it is a bottom silver, but if you put a performance pipe and fly a tight course, you may have a good silver plane.

I dont recommend putting .46 engines in them as they are very slow and tend to be unforgiving if you have a good breezy(windy) day. I like having plenty of power.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
PylonDave

yea thats the one i was looking at. Will this plane be competative in the phoenix/victorville/basin series????
What do you have to beef up structuraly on this bird???
I am looking for a cheap way to compete in the warbird races in so cal
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PylonDave,

The Phoenix Strega is actually a very popular airframe in all 3 classes of RCPRO pylon racing. There's a thread posted on *********, but I can't seem to get the link to work.

The Kingman group has brought a lot of the Stregas to our last few events in Phoenix. Contact John Buckner for details: [email protected]
Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 AM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dave,

I'm one of the CD's for the Victorville RCPRO event. I have been using the Phoenix Stregas. I have one with a Thunder Tiger 46 with Ultra thrust muffler and it will just break out of Bronze if you fly a tight course. That is perfect IMO. I also have one with a YS 1.10 in it and I'm hoping to compete in Gold with this plane. I haven't timed it yet but will be doing that in the next couple of weeks before the Phoenix race. The Strega is a very good flying model and well made. The only mods I made for the one with the 1.10 was to beef up the horizontal stab and modify the firewall to accommodate the engine. http://www.*********(.)com/forums/showthread.php?t=14277 is a pretty good thread about modifying the Strega for Gold class. There is a bit of Chit-Chat in the thread but if you read through it there are some good pics and advice. The Strega is fine as is for Bronze and Silver with a hot 46 of hot 61 respectively. Another popular model seems to be the Hanger 9 T-24 with a YS 91 or 1.10. I have seem them in both Silver and Gold.

Blessings, Terry