Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

Warbird Racing at Cane Ridge Park, Nashville in 2009

Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

Warbird Racing at Cane Ridge Park, Nashville in 2009

Old 02-22-2009, 09:39 AM
dwbebens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warbird Racing at Cane Ridge Park, Nashville in 2009

Hi Everyone;

What new planes are you building for the Warbird class for the Cane Ridge races this year?

If you don't already know, the rules for this class have changed for 2009. There is a 500 square inch minimum wing area now. The engine size is based on wing area. Maximum two-stroke engine size equal to the wing area in sq in divided by 1,000. The maximum four-stroke size is 1.5 times the maximum two-stroke size. Also, we've tightened up the definition of what we mean by "Warbird". We require that the planes have a military scale or as-raced-at-Reno scale paint scheme. These new rules should make the planes in this class much more even. I'm very excited about these changes.

See the new rules at

http://www.mtrcs.com/

As to my own plane, I am working on a VQ Macchi 205 Veltro with an OS ,91 four-stroke. I am not going to use retracts - - I'd rather have increased reliability at the expense of losing a bit of speed. This will be much slower than the plane I was flying over the last two years, but ought to be much more fun to fly.

There are so many excellent and inexpensive ARFs out there that would perfect for this new class.

Doug Bebensee
Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Warbird Racing at Cane Ridge Park, Nashville in 2009

If you use the stock blocks for the landing gear, be sure to add some screws through the ply into the blocks. I had the ply actually delaminate upon landing. A few of my friends experienced the same thing.

Sounds like some pretty laid back racing with the restrictions on the engines. Can you say "Scale like"?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:06 PM
dwbebens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still4given;

Yeah, I suspected that the fixed landing gear assembly with the gear, blocks, and plywood plates could be a problem. And, there was no way to prevent the blocks from splitting without some serious pilot holes. I decided to not use the screws. I replaced the plastic straps with steel ones. Also, I sandwiched together and epoxied the whole assembly (straps, wire, plate, and block) with four 4-40 thru bolts and nuts instead of the four little wood screws. I was of the opinion that there was little chance of keeping that landing gear together very long using just glue, as shown on the plans.

I did a few other things to improve strength and reliability of this plane. I sheeted the horizontal stab - - it seemed too flexible. I epoxy-glassed the wing center. I re-enforced the firewall and nose area. I'll be re-enforcing the wing tang area of the fuselage.

Other than these items, I'm impressed with this ARF. I think it's a good value.

Doug Bebensee

Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good going. I have the Desert Camo Veltro and the ply split on the first landing. I put two through bolts all the way through the plastic cover, ply cover and block. It has survived fine since then. Mine has a YS 60 with full length pipe Gets around pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80118.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1142462