Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

1/7 scale P-51 with YS Dingo, has it been done?

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

1/7 scale P-51 with YS Dingo, has it been done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:58 PM
A 4 liter V8 eater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/7 scale P-51 with YS Dingo, has it been done?

I just ordered a 170 DZ, and plan on putting it in a 1/7 scale P-51. Has this been done? I have had a 140 DZ laying around that I bought to put in my in my H9 Marie P-51 in place of the 1.10 about three years ago. Upon receiving the motor I realized how much bashing would be involved in installing it and have never got around to it. Now I have the 170 on the way and am thinking about putting it in one of the newer more scale P-51 ARFs. They all say now that they recommend up to a 120 four stroke. The 170 is the same dimensions as a 120, right?

Any idea what kind of speeds I'd be looking at? What prop should I use? Are there any videos of a 1/7 scale P-51 with a Dingo motor?

Thanks
-John
Old 12-09-2009, 06:40 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: 1/7 scale P-51 with YS Dingo, has it been done?

1/7th scale is a little bigger than the 46 sized WM P-51 that is pretty popular for warbird racing. With a YS 120SC they run around 145mph or so on 55% nitro. You could probably run 20% and get similar results.

I've been told that the DZ motors do not handle high nitro well. Talk to Richard at YS before you try it.

Good luck,

Chris
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it has been done with very good results.
Here is a composite Stiletto #84 made from a TF P-51 kit.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahGEgRvReuw[/youtube]
The following users liked this post:
Barrowed YS (09-02-2021)
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: ChrisAttebery

1/7th scale is a little bigger than the 46 sized WM P-51 that is pretty popular for warbird racing. With a YS 120SC they run around 145mph or so on 55% nitro. You could probably run 20% and get similar results.

I've been told that the DZ motors do not handle high nitro well. Talk to Richard at YS before you try it.

Good luck,

Chris
What level nitro are you talking about? The DZ's love Nitro up to 30%+. Most of the pattern guys are running 30% and some are running up to 40%. Much above that I don't know ,but those are numbers I know people have run successfully.

Arch
Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
A 4 liter V8 eater

ORIGINAL: Tommy_Gun

Is that plane yours? What kind of engine mount was used on that plane? What size prop was used?

Thanks,
-John

PS, does your name refer to the gun or the boxer from Rocky V?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 AM
ChrisAttebery

50%+. Apparently the pump system can't keep up with the higher fuel draw and you get to a point that the needle is wide open and the pump starts to aerate the fuel. This happened to Richard and Ray when they used the 170 for the USRA race.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 PM
wrstew
My Feedback: (30)

Don't know if this is the fix, but we had issues at the local field going to the large glow engines. Had to use larger fuel line from the carb inlet all the way back to the clunk. Including the brass tube thru the stopper in the tank. Allows more flow to big thirsty birds. Might be the case here? Randy
Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a ported and polished YS-120 in a TopFlite 1/7th Mustang ARF and it was clocked at 113 with 27% nitro. That is just a normal build, no gear doors, largish hole in the cowl to make access easier. It has 8 servos and an MK 450 tank. It is certainly not setup for speed as you can tell. I believe I am running a 15x10 prop with an open header, at what RPM, no idea, just run it where it sounds good. I would imagine with some fairings over hinge lines, gear doors, a better cowl cut, and other mods you could pick up a few MPHs. Big 4" spinner punches a big hole in the air.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:59 PM
ChrisAttebery

The problem as it was explained to me is in the pump itself. It can only pump so much fuel per stroke. Once you hit that point there isn't much you can do to help it out. You need a bigger pump.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:02 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Chris is this only on the 170?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
ChrisAttebery

I'm not sure. All of the DZs use the same style, if not the exact same pump. The 170 would be the most prone to the problem since it would be the most thirsty.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 PM
BarryReade

I will continue to get my 110 up and running well and then see about something else.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Tommy_Gun

ORIGINAL: A 4 liter V8 eater

Is that plane yours? What kind of engine mount was used on that plane? What size prop was used?

Thanks,
-John

No it's not my plane.
The owner is the guy holding the transmitter. The engine in it belongs to the guy carrying the plane out to launch.
They have a couple of planes in this size range they are making from composites for the purpose of going fast.

The moniker was given to me by the man that runs our "Outlaw" racing series.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: A 4 liter V8 eater

Thanks,
-John

No it's not my plane.
The owner is the guy holding the transmitter. The engine in it belongs to the guy carrying the plane out to launch.
They have a couple of planes in this size range they are making from composites for the purpose of going fast.

The moniker was given to me by the man that runs our ''Outlaw'' racing series.
Tommy,

Truth be told, each OUTLAW pilot get's a name, usually I have no clue what the name is going to be. I believe to be inspired by the race gods when it comes to the distribution of call signs.......... In no way would I try to take credit for the call signs the likes of:

Leadfoot / Teddy bear / 007 / Mayheim / Woody / Bushman / Lone Ranger / many more and of course my favorite - You don't know Dick..... where the pilot's name is Dick and everyone knows him.

Funny side story..... the other day I was Christmas tree hunting with the family, went to a tree farm way outside of Sacramento..... I saw one of the fellow racers there.... called to him 3 times by name and he never flinched..... yelled out Super K and he turned right around, go figure.

Jimmy Skids......... name given by another and it stuck, and yes Skids was meant to mean what you all are thinking hey now, what are you all thinking [>:]

Skids
Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 PM
JPGale

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Skids

Truth be told, each OUTLAW pilot get's a name, usually I have no clue what the name is going to be. I believe to be inspired by the race gods when it comes to the distribution of call signs.......... In no way would I try to take credit for the call signs the likes of:

Leadfoot / Teddy bear / 007 / Mayheim / Woody / Bushman / Lone Ranger / many more and of course my favorite - You don't know Dick..... where the pilot's name is Dick and everyone knows him.

Funny side story..... the other day I was Christmas tree hunting with the family, went to a tree farm way outside of Sacramento..... I saw one of the fellow racers there.... called to him 3 times by name and he never flinched..... yelled out Super K and he turned right around, go figure.

Jimmy Skids......... name given by another and it stuck, and yes Skids was meant to mean what you all are thinking hey now, what are you all thinking [>:]

Skids
Interesting, when Joe (I think that is his name) wanted to give me a name at the TMT I decided if I was going to be known by a name I may as well choose it, hence the Bulldog moniker.

James
Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Jimmy Skids

Bulldog is a cool call sign, maybe you channel the race gods as well.

Jimmy Skids
Old 12-15-2009, 08:58 PM
A 4 liter V8 eater

What do you think a good 4 blade prop would be on the 170 for speed? They recommend a 15.5x12. I feel like that recommendation is for pattern flying (hanging from the prop) and not so much for speed. I was thinking about buying a 4 blade solo prop so I could adjust the pitch.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:55 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well a four bladed prop will not be good for speed at all unless ground clearence was an issue. and then that 12.5 would only be about a ten pitch in the air because of the other prop blades taking some of the air away from the other blades.

I have a H9 miss america i would like some more speed out of it and am thinking a moki/mark 2.10 or the ys 170
what do you guys think would be best?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 AM
ChrisAttebery

The H9 Mustang isn't that much bigger than the MW mustang that everyone(practially) runs in the warbird series. They run 140+ with a YS 120SC.

If you're willing to have a humongous tuned pipe hanging off the side of the plane then the Moki would probably be faster.

If you'd prefer running a bit more nitro and having a clean installation the 1.70 will be pretty quick too. I think you'd get close to 140mph out of the 1.70 if you're willing to run 50% through it.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well i have my ax 120 removed from it and its in my little revolver now. So with that I will be pulling the covering off of the H9 miss america. I will full sheet the wing, have razor sharp trailing edges on wing, fillet the stab and rudder. i will have to move the fire wall back an inch or so as well.

what kind of prop they running to get to 140, and what rpm with it. i already run 45% thru my saito 125's but with the bigger engine would get to much to fly all the time. so thats why kind leaning to the moki. i will try to run 15-20% thru it.

do they still make the 120SC?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Jimmy Skids

Airraptor,

120SC has been out of production for a long time. The last generation 120 was the FZ and they were replaced by the 140 series, of which now only the 140 sport is available.

Skids
Old 02-05-2010, 01:46 PM
T34RACING

ORIGINAL: ChrisAttebery

Good luck,

Chris

Chris,

Test flew the 1/7 scale Spitfire with a Y.S. 120AC modified. With 50%nitro, it moved a lot better than I thought. I was thinking Silver but now may go to gold. I need to get some times to determine the class. Still going to mix more nitro up to 65%. Should turn the 14 X 14 even better.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
T34RACING

ORIGINAL: JPGale

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Skids

Skids
Interesting, when Joe (I think that is his name) wanted to give me a name at the TMT I decided if I was going to be known by a name I may as well choose it, hence the Bulldog moniker.

James

I have a couple names for you James...LMAO
Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 PM
JPGale

And that is why I picked my own.

:-)

James
Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 PM
ChrisAttebery

Kevin,

Good to hear you got your plane put together (finally ). Where did you do your test flights? I know this guy who makes a killer exhaust for that motor. It should buy you another 200-300 rpm.

I'm plugging away on the Mustang I won at the last race. I'm shooting for Unlimited with this one. I'm deleting the scoop, Stiletto style canopy, etc.

I also finished up the foam wing with retracts for my Strega. The first flights showed some promise, but I was running really low on good fuel and missed the needle with the one tank of 55% that I did run on the radar.

I've got a couple names for James too, but I can't say them on this board. Just ribbing you James.

Chris

ORIGINAL: T34RACING

Chris,

Test flew the 1/7 scale Spitfire with a Y.S. 120AC modified. With 50%nitro, it moved a lot better than I thought. I was thinking Silver but now may go to gold. I need to get some times to determine the class. Still going to mix more nitro up to 65%. Should turn the 14 X 14 even better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.