RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scale Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/)
-   -   Sams warbird racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/11262859-sams-warbird-racing.html)

Barrowed YS 11-12-2012 09:35 AM

RE: Sams warbird racing

I kno of a guy that re-twist apc props. I wonder if he could twist one into a pusher? It's expensive tho... About $80 each. Let me kno if u want me to track down his #

tdstaf 11-12-2012 10:20 AM

The 335 with two .70 in it would probably only be good for bronze running 12x8 or 13x6 props. Might be able to run silver if you can find a pusher with more pitch. The question is do they make a pusher that can be run on the 1.15 then the plane could have 700 sq's. I would like to draw one up at about 850-900 sq's as this would allow me to have a good sized scale project and still only have a span of 67".

still4given 11-12-2012 12:16 PM

The 335 would be a great candidate for Electric power. No need for a pusher prop. Might look into that for RCPRO Warbird. Thanks for the idea.

airraptor 11-12-2012 09:15 PM

yes you could just fly it on one engine but you would need all the servos in the back. APC makes a 10x8 pusher that can be tuned to a 9x11-9x12 for the front I could run a 10x10 prop These would be for a YS-70 FS engine.

For all you sams guys I want to throw a big wrench in here for you. What I fly a DO-335 with a 115 in the front and a small two stroke in the back. what are the rules for this???? I would also like the try a Shinden with a two stroke pusher. One last twin I might look at would be a XP-67 Moonbat.

Lownverted 11-17-2012 10:23 AM

Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering putting a plane together to come play with you next year. I have a buddy who will as well, if I do. Question, I see some talk of possibly modifying the rules, how soon will the rules be solidified? I would like to start building soon, but don't want to start something if I have to change it.

Cheers
Red

Iron Dog 11-17-2012 11:46 AM

Red,

I look forward to you and your buddy joining us, and getting to know each of you!

Our November 27th meeting will have some discussions regarding possible changes. Likely, the December Events Scheduling meeting will finalize these discussions. The last time a rule update occured, the updates were finalized and dated/posted the 18th of January. If there are any changes, I would expect a similar timetable this time, as well. Obviously our goal would be to give everyone as much notice as we possibly can; but, please realize that it takes time to get everyone together, have the necessary discussions, do reseach to explore all the potential effects and other contingencies, discuss more, come to a final decision, then retype/update rules, and disseminate the information.

Being a Silver class racer, personally, I plan on following the currentEngine/Wing Area Chartwith my upcoming builds for this season. I don't see any potential modifications having that significant of an impact on the Silver or Bronze classes. Following the current rules will not result in a plane that doesn't qualify, and require changes. If you are looking at needing to begin building now, I would recommend the same.

If
you are a Gold racer, plan to incorporate a 2-stroke engine,and feel the need to try to squeeze out every minuscule bit of performance and have the time to wait, then I can see trying to await the outcome (as incorrectly anticipating changes to the Engine/Wing Area Chart, that may not ultimately pan-out, could create a problem with your aircraft not qualifying). Anyone with similar concerns, please remember these discussions have only been towards possibly allowing even bigger 2-stroke engine displacements to be used beyond the increases already stipulated from the last rule update . . . If you plan on utilizing a 4-stroke in your build, I don't see this discussion having an impact on your current project.

Ollie<br type="_moz" />

Lownverted 11-17-2012 12:27 PM

Hi Ollie,

Great reply, thanks. The plan is for a gold racer, likely a 4 stroke. Good to hear the current rules will yield a legal racer, so I'll just build to that. I have a design that I did already a year a so ago, so I might even fire up the laser today.

Cheers
Red

tdstaf 11-17-2012 01:01 PM

I personally would like to see some kind of extra point system added for those that like to build more scale. Something that is an equaliser like, a zero or five points awarded for someone that has modeled it after a specific picture and can show proof. It would be nice to see more of a variety of aircraft in different color schemes and closer to the spirit of the event. For instance those that have proof get five points and this replaces there lowest race score in turn making the field closer in total. Just a thought.

airraptor 11-17-2012 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: tdstaf

I personally would like to see some kind of extra point system added for those that like to build more scale. Something that is an equaliser like, a zero or five points awarded for someone that has modeled it after a specific picture and can show proof. It would be nice to see more of a variety of aircraft in different color schemes and closer to the spirit of the event. For instance those that have proof get five points and this replaces there lowest race score in turn making the field closer in total. Just a thought.

+1 one

Howm many all white mustangs are there with pink wing tips????????? Or all black spitfires lol

speedracerntrixie 11-17-2012 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: airraptor

+1 one

Howm many all white mustangs are there with pink wing tips????????? Or all black spitfires lol

We only worry about the black Spit when it tries to pass us. LOL

tdstaf 11-17-2012 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: airraptor

+1 one

[:'(] My point exactly!
White mustangs?
Red P 47's ?
Black spitfires?
Black Ki 61's
White Macchi's
So, if theres no proof is it really passing you?? :D

speedracerntrixie 11-17-2012 07:55 PM

Hey, white Macchi's rule according to me wife and daughter. You are more then willing to argue with them on the matter but I would not reccomend it.

tdstaf 11-17-2012 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Hey, white Macchi's rule according to me wife and daughter. You are more then willing to argue with them on the matter but I would not reccomend it.

[X(]

Racewizard 11-17-2012 10:13 PM

These are RACE planes, that's why they are red, white, black. If you want to build scale you should compete in a scale contest not in a race. Take a look at the Reno racers very few are kept with military colors.

I believe the whole discussion started with possibly modifying the wing area to be the same for 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines, after all there is a break out time that controls the speed of the aircraft, if the concern of the 2 stroke aircraft might go to fast.

tdstaf 11-17-2012 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Racewizard

These are RACE planes, that's why they are red, white, black. If you want to build scale you should compete in a scale contest not in a race. Take a look at the Reno racers very few are kept with military colors.

I believe the whole discussion started with possibly modifying the wing area to be the same for 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines, after all there is a break out time that controls the speed of the aircraft, if the concern of the 2 stroke aircraft might go to fast.
I get that but, I havent seen any black spitfires, or red p 47's at reno. Is it not in the SCALE RACING, WARBIRD RACING FORUM!!

I think some body missed the point of the slam. [X(] ohh my!!

tdstaf 11-17-2012 10:42 PM

There once was a time pilots would actually bring a plane that was modeled after a real Reno racer not there own "lawn service".

I feel that if you want to just race fast, go fly Q 40 or Q 500 it doesn't matter how there painted over there....Something has been lost with the "Spirit of the event".

This is just my opininon just knowing where it all started and I reserve the right that we have the right to dissagree.

Tim

Racewizard 11-17-2012 10:57 PM

I don't believe it say's SCALE RACING it's WARBIRD racing and what's wrong with having your plane what ever color you want, it's your plane.

tdstaf 11-17-2012 11:17 PM

I don't believe it say's SCALE RACING it's WARBIRD racing and what's wrong with having your plane what ever color you want, it's your plane.

You can paint it any color you want, thats not the issue.
Might want to read the rules.

Does it fit the aircraft requirements? So why are they worried about wing and engine requierments when the first requirement isn't followed..
http://www.sacramento-rc-flyers.org/...les_202011.pdf

And I beleive "Warbird racing" is the sub catagory under "Scale racing" is it not?

D.E. 11-18-2012 10:47 AM

tdstaf,

I dont think Q40 lost alot to scale/fit the rules builds.. 59 seconds on a 3 pole course 608 feet with 100 feet between pylon 2 and 3.<br type="_moz" />

tdstaf 11-18-2012 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: D.E.

tdstaf,

I dont think Q40 lost alot to scale/fit the rules builds.. 59 seconds on a 3 pole course 608 feet with 100 feet between pylon 2 and 3.<br type=''_moz'' />

D.E.
Beautiful aircraft by the way. And what Warbird is that?
No disrespect was intended on the other racing venues.
My issue is that it's original intent was "Warbirds" and "Reno Racers" not sudo Mustangs painted as "Bob's Tree Service racing", so if it's not a warbird that resembles one or reno racer take it to another venue.

I'm sorry, I have seemed to take this off topic so lets resume with the original topic.

Tim

Racewizard 11-18-2012 11:14 AM

You know your right you need to read the rules yourself under SCALE, it needs to have the outlines of a scale aircraft, they omited the use of the Phoenix Strega because it really never looked like a Strega and besides if they were all Military colors how would you like to be a pylon caller with all planes looking alike?

tdstaf 11-18-2012 11:25 AM

You know your right you need to read the rules yourself under SCALE, it needs to have the outlines of a scale aircraft, they omited the use of the Phoenix Strega because it really never looked like a Strega and besides if they were all Military colors how would you like to be a pylon caller with all planes looking alike?

I guess we get different contexts from reading it. No where does it say you can paint it any way you want. There is more then 100 paint schemes for reno racers so take your pick.

Chad Veich 11-18-2012 01:53 PM

...it needs to have the outlines of a scale aircraft...
Personally the non-scale paint jobs would not bother me at all if this particular rule were adhered to a bit more closely. Seriously, much of the stuff racing these days could not even be called stand off scale in terms of outline. That was not the case when warbird racing started and their was a static judging component as part of the event. My interest in warbird racing has waned to the point of being non-existent due to the loss of this scale component but that's just my opinion. I understand the event has to evolve in order to continue to thrive but it has gone in a direction that has reduced its interest for me. Others are allowed their own opinions. However, when it reaches the point that the airplanes neither look like warbirds nor are painted like them, then is it really "warbird racing" any longer?

Lownverted 11-18-2012 04:14 PM

I too really like the planes with a scale scheme. I've been going to Reno for 30+ years, so those are the types that attract me. Personally don't have a problem with the "Bobs Tree Service" types, but those are not what I'm choosing to model.

A small wrench got thrown in the works for me. I ordered a YS115, and is back ordered until after the first of the year. I was hoping to get some measurements off of it, but there is plenty of other stuff I can do in the meantime.

tdstaf 11-18-2012 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Lownverted

I too really like the planes with a scale scheme. I've been going to Reno for 30+ years, so those are the types that attract me. Personally don't have a problem with the ''Bobs Tree Service'' types, but those are not what I'm choosing to model.

A small wrench got thrown in the works for me. I ordered a YS115, and is back ordered until after the first of the year. I was hoping to get some measurements off of it, but there is plenty of other stuff I can do in the meantime.

Red,

You need to borrow one?