RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scale Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/)
-   -   USRA Giant Scale Racing 2013 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/11409880-usra-giant-scale-racing-2013-a.html)

MFLOOD3800 02-14-2013 01:59 PM

USRA Giant Scale Racing 2013

Hey fellow Racers and RC enthusists
This year for 2013 the USRA (Unlimited Scale Racing Association) has set the race dates for the world series championship battle.
First race is in Winslow, Az on June 6-9.
The second race is in So Cal at Rabbit Dry Lake bed near Victorvill,e ca on Oct 24-27.

There is a NEW SPORTSMAN CLASS that allows any airplane 80" wing span or bigger and under 50 pounds to come out and race on the course.
There will be a break out time of 2:00. That will keep the field even
For more info on the rules for this new class please visit our website at : www.usrainfo.org

Classes include: Unlimited, F1 Pro, F1 GT, 50 CC Warbird, Sport Formula l, and the new class Sportsman.
A huge thanks to our sponsors : Horizon Hobby, Desert Aircraft, Futaba, APC, Ritches Brew, CRT.

airraptor 02-14-2013 04:14 PM

RE: USRA Giant Scale Racing 2013

I have dominator 1500 could this be raced in the new class with a DA/DLE 85?

MFLOOD3800 02-14-2013 04:17 PM

Here is the link to the rules
http://usrainfo.org/sportsman.htm

The plane has to meet min and max requirements on weight.
Im not sure what your specs are . We have raced dominator for 6 years or more so I cant remember??

MFLOOD3800 02-14-2013 04:27 PM

Ok, I found specs online - the wingspan is good at 84".
But you need to make sure it weighs in at the minimum 15lbs.
You might have to add?

It sure looks like you are golden!!

MFLOOD3800 02-14-2013 04:28 PM

A DA 85?
What the heck.
Just strap a 150 on that thing!
I have an extra A200!
:)

Pueo 02-15-2013 05:06 PM

Hi Marty Dominator min wt was 13lb 12oz. Not much wt needed. I found one of my time sheets @ 2:00.28 so it would be competative. But most USRA Guys hate the airplane.
So would it be allowed in this class?

MFLOOD3800 02-15-2013 05:18 PM

Yes it would be allowed. And thanks for looking that up. I remember one pilot from Hi. Is this Mike?
The USRA has changed and has a different vision for the future, and we are after allowing as many people to experience who we are and what we do.
We still have a focus to preserve the original theme of the USRA, but we also want to make it easier for the numerous people who invested in the USRA in the past and have aircraft that are no longer competitive in their class to come out and race competitively with what they have. This includes Dominator, T6's, Bi-planes older unlimiteds, slow F1's, Lancairs.
In most if not all racing venues, eventually certain aircraft just get outdated. We decided to make a class that updates these as well as allow IMAC and other guys to race their big Aerobatic type planes as well.
Should be fun

MFLOOD3800 03-16-2013 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my 2013 Unlimited just about ready for its Maiden.

speedracerntrixie 03-17-2013 08:38 AM

MArty, I had a brainstorm ( Or so I thought ) that I could fly my IMAC airplane in the sportsman class. Then I looked at the rules and saw that you run a 1600 ft course. Correct me if my math is off but with that size course a model would have to average 140 to 150 MPH to get close to the 2 min breakout. Even with a " speed " prop most IMACtype airplanes are in the 120 range at best.

MFLOOD3800 03-17-2013 11:51 AM

Your are close. I figured it closer to the 150 or a bit more. The amount of time in a turn will determine the speed needed. The beauty is not many will know if they are way fast, a little fast or slow. It will be a great class from 190 MPH unlimiteds breaking out to 130 MPH dominators trying to reach the 2:00 to pattern or IMAC type not sure where they are and how far off the mark they have fallen. In the end, people will get caught in that nasty trap of racing for the lead and breaking out or cutting. It will come down to clean runs, no break outs and consistancy. Perhaps some pipes if you havent already, a speed prop and some nitro.

No matter what, the field of racers and planes will be by far the most colorful.
I can let you in on a secret, if you promise not to spread it?
There will be a bunch of 3D type planes entered. Perhaps most of the field will be that.
We wanted to allow the 3D and IMAC guys a class, but felt we also needed to offer something for the dozen or more pilots who have older outdated class planes.
This is the first year, we kept it PROVISIONAL so we can adjust for each season if needed to make it a great and competitive class.
With that said yes a 100 MPH plane will struggle against a 130-150 MPH plane. But thats where the break out can kill or help as well as cuts.

I hope you find something and at least try it. I look forward to seeing you at Rabbit of I dont see you in SAC in April.

speedracerntrixie 03-17-2013 12:48 PM

We will have to see how things work out but the wife is on board. Rick and Miriam Meda have been trying to get us out to a race for a while now. Rick has been planting the seed that I need to race. If we do go I will bring an airplane and try not to get in peoples way.

MFLOOD3800 03-17-2013 01:01 PM

There are planes everywhere that can be used. If I get to Sac for the first race we need to talk.
Rick and Miriam are great people.

Jimmy Skids 03-20-2013 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

We will have to see how things work out but the wife is on board. Rick and Miriam Meda have been trying to get us out to a race for a while now. Rick has been planting the seed that I need to race. If we do go I will bring an airplane and try not to get in peoples way.

was that for me? :)

speedracerntrixie 03-20-2013 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Skids

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

was that for me? :)
Consider me a thorn buddy. ha ha Looking forward to seeing you and the group in a couple weeks.

Jimmy Skids 03-20-2013 07:40 PM

likewise. nerves are starting to act up. I don't know why, but I am really nervous for the season to start.
Skids

MFLOOD3800 04-13-2013 07:00 AM

I am looking for a very good announcer for the Oct race in Victorville, Ca.
Any ideas?

tsawyer148 04-13-2013 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800

I am looking for a very good announcer for the Oct race in Victorville, Ca.
Any ideas?

What are you looking for? I've been told I have a face for radio.

MFLOOD3800 04-13-2013 02:17 PM

Someone who knows the planes and as many pilots as possible. Someone who can keep the crowds in it, announce play by play, humor and enthusiasm.

joedonkey 05-22-2013 08:43 AM

Hey Marty Im interested.... I'm the Regular Sams Annoucer plus Ido the races up at ash creek...( where I was approaced by Mr Verano, he heard you were looking for an annoucer)... hit me up here or call me 916-509-5443

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800

Someone who knows the planes and as many pilots as possible. Someone who can keep the crowds in it, announce play by play, humor and enthusiasm.

MFLOOD3800 05-22-2013 09:23 AM

Hey Joe,
good to hear from you and yes I remember you from the BK race in March. You are a hoot.
I have a guys from my area that has responded to the offer and it looks as though he is able. BUT if there is an issue that rises I sure appreciate your offer. After being at SAMS and hearing the play by play, it convinced me racing needs announcing for those on the sidelines.
Thx again for the interest and Ill let ya know asap.

joedonkey 05-22-2013 10:36 AM

Thanks Marty... that first race was horrible for me... its always rough on the first race of the season... Ask  any one at Flying Ash Fast from this past weekend they tell you I killed it ... Its always better when theres an announcer!! 

speedracerntrixie 05-22-2013 05:31 PM

Marty, I can't agree more about the races needing an announcer. After going to SAMs racing for so long we feel that something is just missing when we race at a different venue. specially since Joe takes the time to learn the pilots and associates them to the airplane during the race. Getting information about the guy behind the airplane adds a great deal of spectator appeal. I guess now is as good a time as any to ask you Joe. I would like to see if you would be interested in announcing my aerobatic performance during the Tomcats air show?

Iron Dog 05-22-2013 09:50 PM

Wow! I guess I better ask you, now . . . before you get all booked up, Joe . . .http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

Will you be my announcer for the August 7th "VALLEY OF SPEED" Warbird Race at SAMs?

Ollie<br type="_moz" />

<br type="_moz" />

joedonkey 05-23-2013 06:35 AM

Speed im in we just next to work or dates and location. .. <div>Ollie ... of corse I will</div>

Iron Dog 05-23-2013 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: joedonkey

Speed im in we just next to work or dates and location. ..<div>Ollie ... of corse I will</div>
Thanks, my friend!

(Sorry to sidetrack your thread momentarily, Marty.)
<br type="_moz" />