RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scale Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/)
-   -   AT-6 Spinner, prop, and header (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/321590-6-spinner-prop-header.html)

B Vial 10-18-2002 08:39 PM

AT-6 Spinner, prop, and header

What is the current 101" AT-6 Props that are being used for racing? It used to be the 2 bladed w/ metal center hub APC but it looks like that has changed for USRA races now.

What is the spinner that is being used for the above props? It used to be a special spinner cut to clear the center prop hub. The P/N used to be TT-3312-B but what is the new one being used?

What header is currently the one that people are using? It used to be different it looks like looking at different pictures. I cannot find my P/N of the one I have that has to be replaced due to my latest stupidity.

If you have any info on what works best for setting a T-6 up for racing I would appreciate it. Things I am looking for are best practices for control rod/push-pull systems, servo mounting, control horns to use etc. I want to build a contendor in my next ship and I would like any input into what it takes. If you have any close up pictures of servos/control horns that would be awesome as I believe a picture is worth a thousand words.

I would also like to know what I should use as a regular practice airplaine. I think years ago some were using a good old Lanier Stinger beefed up to take the high G turns. I want to get my mind and fingers trained without having to risk a race plane all the time to do it.

Also, if anyone knows of a good system to use for a 'muffler' so that I can bench run the heck out of my two G-62's as soon as they get back from the repair shop I would like to hear it. I want to get at least 5 gallons of gas apiece through these engines before I put my next ship up in the air. I believe someone told me once he use some kind of flexible hose running down into a 5 gallon metal can to run one in. It might have been David Bridi and I don't really remember as it has been too many long years since I was first going to get into the sport.

Thanks,
Brian

Mluvara 10-21-2002 02:03 AM

AT-6 props depends on where you go racing. If you go to the Madera/Reedley race, they use a Zinger (22x10) if memory serves correctly. See www.madera-race.com

If you go to USRA races, they use a 1 piece APC. I don't know the exact size offhand. Check www.usrainfo.org.

Best practice is going and keeping your fingers current. Practice a long course (1600 ft). Fly smooth, maintain a constant altitude/heading and practice turning in the same spot all the time. You will end up getting into a rythym at the races once you know the course.

See my website's picture gallery for some photos. Might be some setups, but worth at least looking to see if anything helps. There's 600+ photos from races. www.luvaraairracing.com

Linkages should be slop free (internal if you can for less drag) and positive. You don't want flutter, but still want a clean, positive setup.

Michael

B Vial 10-21-2002 04:00 AM

I was looking at alot of your pictures. Unfortunately alot of them are just showing the airplaine overall and are not close enough for what I was looking for.

You mentioned about internal controls. In alot of the pictures I don't see any control horns and was wondering what is being used or am I just missing them. That is why I asked.

My texan rebuild is comming along nicely. I already have the nose redone and am feathering in the pieces. I laid in cabon fiber and two layers of glass on the inside of the nose to splice it all back together. The center wing section will be quite a task to undertake. I will have to find my homemade bow to cut a core and cut up the original some more to reverse engineer it. The manufacture said he could make me a new one but is leaving for Zimbawe 1 Nov and won't return until springtime. I figure buy that time I can have a new one made myself.

Now to find a place for some 1" aluminum for the wing tube and visit an online composits company for the cabon fiber inner spar that runs down the aluminum tube.

Mluvara 10-21-2002 03:59 PM

Try www.onlinemetals.com for aluminum. Aerospace composites or CST might be good composite places to check out. Put a post in the composites forum of RCU. There are some knowledgeable guys who can point out where to get the correct materials.

I'll see what I can dig up for any photos of servo linkages, etc.

Good luck on the rebuild.... Let us know how it progresses. photos???

Michael

F1race79 10-21-2002 07:29 PM

The USRA prop is a 20 X 12 APC one piece.
It has a new design and unloads well in the air.
I think I have couple if you are interested in one.

Spinner diameter may vary slightly to the closest commercially available size as long as scale size and shape are retained with a minimum diameter of 3 1/4 inches.

Most use the MACS header, we built one out of conduit, it was a little heavy but stayed together. The MACS always broke around the weld.