RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scale Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/)
-   -   GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/3589652-gee-bee-r3-racer-wow.html)

Combat 20 12-01-2008 09:58 PM

RE: GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!!

1 Attachment(s)
I finished my R3 and flew it once. Upon takeoff it turned sharp left and headed for trees. I had to pull up to avoid the trees, and it turned even more sharply to the left. I continued to fight the sharp left until the plane went behind trees. Given the circumstances, the plane never reached a safe flying speed. Since I could not see the plane and given that planes with such problems almost inevitably head down, I pulled the throttle to idle and let it hit the ground. To my surprise (and delight!) it landed in a corn field and received minor damage; only the bracing wires were damaged. I, along with friends, verified that flight controls, CG, etc were all fine before and after the flight. I believe the problem occurred because the plane lifted off sooner than I would have liked; meaning a slow airspeed and high angle of attack, circumstances which allow torque and other prop problems to become serious which accounts for the left turn tendancy. I intend to attempt a second flight, but will ensure to keep the nose down on takeoff and build up more speed. I will also be ready to jump on right rudder. I suspect the plane lifted early because of the tall gear. I used a Tower Hobbies .75 with a Pitts-style muffler. Pictures attached.

Hammbone 12-01-2008 10:57 PM

Thanks for the info. It sure looks cool. Any problems during the assembly of the plane? Does everything fit well?

Thanks, Jim

Combat 20 12-06-2008 04:09 PM

Be cautious when pre-drilling the landing gear mount screw holes. Drill too deep and you will penetrate the top of the wing. I added more hardwood to the fuselage where the top side bracing wires attach to the fuselage. The bracing wires are attached in a rather crude fashion and the wires are difficult to attach when sufficiently tight to keep the gear from wobbling. I would use small turnbuckles if I could find some small enough. Also the bracing gear hardware threads were a poor match so I used Du-Bro. One main landing gear axle was not bent properly. Once the gear, but not the wheel pants, are mounted look down on the leading edge of the wing and ensure the landing gear axle aligns with the leading edge or points backwards slightly (toe-In). I believe toe-in is more acceptable that toe-out. My right rear gear toed-out quite a bit and the left gear aligned with the leading edge of the wing. I did not appreciate that the inside of the fuselage showed through the canopy, so I attached a cockpit floor made from depron foam and added a pilot backrest. I could not find a proper looking pilot to fit. The tailwheel was another problem. The tailwheel wire would not mount securely as expressed in the instructions, so I removed the covering and wood in that area, added more hardwood and recovered the fuselage. I could not figure out how the manufacturer intended for the tailwheel pant to be mounted. I simply could not make the wheelpant secure following their instructions, so I clamped the tailwheel wire to the wheelpant with a small brass strap and bolts.

Yes, the plane looks great and is constructed and covered very well. I just it hope it eventually flies well. Please let me know if you hear of anyone who has successfully flown it. I must admit, I am still leery about the next flight.

dhal22 12-06-2008 04:31 PM

that makes me want to go order this:

http://www.airworld-usa.com/scale5_page.htm

david

dhal22 12-06-2008 04:33 PM

whooops! just noticed this is a much longer thread than i thought it was.

david

vicman 12-06-2008 04:36 PM

At 5Gs less motor I would think finding some plans out there would be a better path. Talk about WOW!

A few creative nights with some foam and you can be one of the cool kids too. I agree it's an awsome looker but not for that much. No disrespect to the kitter at all, it's beutiful.

jjmretired 12-09-2008 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished. Try to crank the Taurus 62cc tomorrow and fly when weather permits.

Hammbone 12-09-2008 07:41 PM

Great job, it looks real nice.
Let us know how it flies.
I'd come and watch if I was a little closer to Montrose.

Jim

jjmretired 12-09-2008 08:16 PM

Maybe it'll show up at the R.M. Big Bird Festival.

Jay

Hammbone 12-09-2008 08:38 PM

Is it big enough? (80" wingspan)

Jim

jjmretired 12-09-2008 08:41 PM

88" W.S., 25lbs., Taurus 62cc. Go back to page 3 for some construction pics. Jay

Hammbone 12-09-2008 09:19 PM

Cool. Maybe I will see it fly then.

Jim

Avaiojet 01-24-2009 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone notice this model came in two different schemes?

That is, I have photos of what I believe to be the first offered ARF, where the Pants are mostly white, and the fuselage has white on the top.

Then there's the one that has red pants and no white on the top of the fuselage.

I have the second. I actually like the other one better. Bummer![:@]

To see this model, use this link. It's one of those sites where you cannot download a photo.

http://jsbmodellismo.it/Manuali/GEE%...20R3%20ING.pdf

Here's the other one. I really don't like the scheme. I think I may remove the white on the fuselage and in it's place put "TEXACO" I'll also add white to thefuse top. Not difficult for me because I do model graphics.

I also believe I'll paint the wheel pants. The white works and looks better.

mrcasey69 01-25-2009 03:20 AM

Try reading the first few pages of this forum to answer your questions.

Avaiojet 01-25-2009 03:34 AM

Try reading the first few pages of this forum to answer your questions.
Mr. Casey,

I have absolutely no idea where you are directing me for answers about the two different schemes on the same models?

Are you speaking of apples and oranges?

I'm comparing two identical models.

Click on my link.

Charles

Combat 20 01-27-2009 08:36 PM

Apparently I was one of the first to receive the Gee Bee R3 ARF. It arrived with no assembly manual, CD instructions, etc. I called the supplier and learned that the early ARFs were sent without instructions, but that instructions were available online. I had already searched online and found extremely inadequate instructions, even for an experienced modeler. The technician looked at the online instructions and agreed. Much improved instructions were soon available. Now to the point; during that discussion I mentioned that the covering scheme did not match the original ads. His response was simply that "licensing problems" arose and that the scheme had to be changed. I think that the new scheme looks fine, obviously a subjective decision. I did add black stripes to the wheel pants and used my Stika machine to had graphics to the rudder. I also wanted to cover up the fuselage structure showing through the canopy. I used Depron foam to make a cockpit floor and pilot backrest to accomplish that objective. Pictures shown in an earlier post.

One gripe; the method of using metal clevises to attach the flying and landing gear support wires is inadequate. If the lines are made tight enough to work properly, tension on the clevis pins prohibits the pin from aligning with the hole on the other side of the clevis; making the clevises particularly difficult to close; needle nose pliers and a small screwdriver are required. I suspect small turnbuckles would be better but have yet to locate some that are small enough. Twelve turnbuckles would be needed. Anyone have any suggestions?

Combat 20 01-27-2009 08:41 PM

Have you finished and flown your R3 yet? As stated in an earlier post, my first flight was a near disaster. Despite an out-of-sight landing in a cornfield, the only damage was broken flying and landing gear support wires. Repairs made, waiting for warmer weather to try again.

jjmretired 01-27-2009 08:47 PM

Graupner has small turnbuckles at a reasonable price, about $3 a piece. Type Graupner turnbuckles in Google.

Avaiojet 01-27-2009 10:07 PM

Combat,

Thanks for sharing that information. It all helps.

About that scheme I like. I actually do model graphics and offer the Texaco text and correct period logo.

I will attempt to remove the white material on the fuselage sides. With any luck, I'll cover the top third with white vinyl and add the thin black accent stripe to the fuselage. I'll place the color Texaco logo on the nose and size white Texaco lettering, outlined in black, for the fuselage sides. Possibly a black Texaco logo for the tail or numbers?

The Texaco for the wing could be just a bold black outlined letter allowing the white of the wings to be the letteringcolor. I don't believe Texaco would look good in any other color besides white?

I'm at a loss with the flying wires, because I haven't started assembly yet. However, I may consider aluminum welders rod. It resembles flying wires. Airfoil shaped aluminum is also available, but I don't know how small in width?

I may paint the pants so the red is just at the bottom.

I really like the other scheme.

I still have to decide on what engine to use.

What are others using? What's the largest this model will handle?

Charles

Hammbone 01-27-2009 10:56 PM

I just got mine. I'm planning on using a Saito 125, but I haven't started construction yet, and I don't know how well the saito 125 will work out on this plane.

Jim

Avaiojet 01-28-2009 08:58 AM

I don't believe I'll go 4S even though I have a couple of Enya 120's and an OS 90. I don't do electric, so that'not a possibility either.

I have plenty of engines, from 40's, 55's, 60's and even larger 2S like 120's and 1.8 and a 1.2

Engine weight and balance should be taken into consideration also.

My Enya 55 may be a good choice?

Charles

draces1 01-28-2009 09:07 AM

In my opinionfor what that's worthnot much :). I'd go with as big a 4S as reasonable to make it as correct as possible. Even though this plane was never a true production plane, Gee Bees as you know were basically just an engine with a prop and some wings. I have not purchased this plane yet but I contemplated it. At that time I was considering a Saito 180 for it.

Again, for what it's worth. I don't think id like it nearly as much with a 2S in it from a sound perspective if nothing else.

Avaiojet 01-28-2009 11:39 AM

Draces,

Does this model require extra weight to balance correctly on the suggested CG?

My personal guess is at least 50 to 75 of these models have been sold. A guess.

No one's talking?

The 75 2S that Combat 20 is using could be the best of both worlds. Looks like the weight and power is there, plus it fits under the cowling.

Am I correct with this observation?

Charles

draces1 01-28-2009 12:29 PM

Avaiojet,

I don't have this plane. Sorry, I can't be of much assistance. I just wanted to put my idea of putting a big 4S in it, just like the real plane (even though this plane was never real).

I wish I had it but I went a totally different direction and purchased the 60-90 sized U-Can-DO.

Avaiojet 01-28-2009 06:46 PM

Draces,

What is a U-Can-Do?

Photos?

Charles