RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scale Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/)
-   -   GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/3589652-gee-bee-r3-racer-wow.html)

mfuess 10-08-2009 01:23 PM

RE: GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!!

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Well I wrapped up mine tonight. ''E'' powered!!! 1000+ watts spinning a 14 x 13 x 3 APC.
Couple of the things I did differently.
Added a simple cockpit and pilot, couldn't stand the open bare frame work showing.

Built the rudder and elevator controls inside so no linkages hanging out to spoil the view.

Added a pair of vents to exhaust the airflow, and blocked off most of the fire wall area to allow only airflow over the motor/esc/packs.

Cowl is magnetic latched, single screw on top locks the front of the main hatch, cowl, and fire wall together. Remove the screww, the cowl pops forward and makes the hatch easy to remove and install.

Added some holes at the rear of the hatch mount area to let air escape back into the fuselage and out the vent holes, so hopefully no popping off of the hatch.

Rebuilt the aileron servo mounts, and built covers, didn't like the whole top of the servo sticking out, now its just the arm. If I had thought ahead before I glued in the ailerons, I would have probably gone with torque rods so there was no linkages hanging out at all for the ailerons.

And finally replaced all the tires with rubber versions.

If the flying wires don't hold up, I'm going to order a set for the Hangar9 Camel for it. Hardware is much better quality, and comes with turnbuckles for adjusting the tension, so no clevises to deal with.

Excellent!!!!

mfuess 10-18-2009 08:13 AM

I ended up putting a Zenoah G26 in my R3. The OS 95AX just didn't have much go-power. While the aircraft does weigh more, it still flies well.

Wingspam 10-18-2009 08:28 AM

This is from the same man who put a DA 50 into a Great Planes RV-4 60-90 size plane.... ROLFMAO... Good Job..

mfuess 10-18-2009 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Wingspam

This is from the same man who put a DA 50 into a Great Planes RV-4 60-90 size plane.... ROLFMAO... Good Job..

That would be me...

After nearly 600 flights with the DA-50 powered RV-4, I sold the airframe to JGraham and Jryan bought the engine. The RV-4 is now G38 powered, and still flies great!

jfassino 10-18-2009 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Wingspam

Give him a break the DA 85 was not available at the time he chose the DA 50. Plus he is a master at helping us glow guys learn about gas engines and carbs. Thanks MFuess

Jim Fassino

mfuess 10-18-2009 02:54 PM

I put several flights on the R3 today and it flew great! My Zenoah G26EI flew the airplane quite well. It's no speed monster but it's impressive none the less.

Wingspam 10-18-2009 04:45 PM

Mark knows I was just ribbing him, I loved to watch that Rv fly...

mfuess 10-19-2009 05:28 AM

You have to be tough-skinned to fly at GSW. The peanut gallery doesn't cut anyone slack...

Glacier Girl 10-25-2009 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: mfuess

I ended up putting a Zenoah G26 in my R3. The OS 95AX just didn't have much go-power. While the aircraft does weigh more, it still flies well.

What you fly with no pants? Oh my!:D

Well just gotta cut my own decals, and she's done.
I give all my planes names, this one's "Hee Bee Gee Bees" Just in time for Halloween:)

mfuess 10-25-2009 02:54 PM

No pants & NO UNDIES....

I have about 8 flights with the Zenoah G26 and I'm very happy with it...

benjaminvessey 12-29-2009 10:29 AM

I hope I'm not to late to get a little help. I'm new to this forum thing but since I will be the only one at my field with one of these things, I need some help. My girlfriend bought me the Gee Bee for Christmas and so far it is going together pretty well. need some 4 stroke power recomendations. I'm thinking of an OS 1.20 with a pump and mount it inverted. I've never had a Saito but have thinking about trying one out. I will post some pics this afternoon.

mfuess 12-29-2009 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: benjaminvessey

I hope I'm not to late to get a little help. I'm new to this forum thing but since I will be the only one at my field with one of these things, I need some help. My girlfriend bought me the Gee Bee for Christmas and so far it is going together pretty well. need some 4 stroke power recomendations. I'm thinking of an OS 1.20 with a pump and mount it inverted. I've never had a Saito but have thinking about trying one out. I will post some pics this afternoon.
You won't be happy with a 1.20... I guarantee. You need at least a Saito 1.80 preferably a 2.20.

benjaminvessey 12-29-2009 01:08 PM

How well will a Saito Run upside down without a pump? would I need to install an onboard glow system?

mfuess 12-29-2009 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: benjaminvessey

How well will a Saito Run upside down without a pump? would I need to install an onboard glow system?
It will run GREAT! No on-board glow necessary.

benjaminvessey 12-29-2009 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first R3. But my second GP R2. I lost the first one after the nylon bolts sheered and the wing departed[:@]. I just hope the R3 is as much fun!

DennyD 01-09-2010 08:37 AM

I wonder if you could help me . I also put a 26 in mine after reading all the threads. I have never seen any mention of the down thrust built into the engine mount. Any comments on this ? Seems excessive.

Thanks
Denny

DennyD 01-10-2010 03:01 PM

Follow up to the previous post.

Just wanted top clear this up . On my R3 purchased, about 3 months ago , (Hobby Lobby had a great sale) I found that the firewall had about 3 degrees of down thrust, NO right thrust. Is this the latest revision ? Any comments or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Denny

roaddog2 02-12-2010 07:17 PM

I've got a video... somewhere... of someone flyin' one o' these. From th' vid, it appears superb!
RD

viper66 04-07-2010 05:24 AM

Hi
Hoping someone could help me
[&o]I need a rear horizontal elevator for the Gee Bee my 8yr old son tripped over and landed on the right side snapping of the horizontal fin.

cheers

Steve

geebee r1 09-02-2010 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
starting new projet geebee model D 40 % 3,70m or 146 inches

geebeepilot1 10-19-2010 04:03 PM

I've been looking for a GEE Bee R3 59 inch ARF for months. Where and when did you get your R3

geebee r1 10-25-2010 10:53 AM

a french friend of my work in a factory were making stuff with fiberglass
he is flying also and he make the fuselage

nexusdc5 11-21-2010 09:48 PM

Hello all, Im very new to this forum regarding the Gee Bee R3 59 inch span. I stumbled upon a guy selling one of these beauties on RCU. I did some research on this plane and it was beautiful. So I bought it, the guy is out of Canada and he says he can get more if anyone is interested. I should be getting mine this week. The Quality of this aircraft is amazing. Just wanted to share the good news. Need to find time to start building it along with the 32% CARF Gee Bee Im presently building. Im putting a Moki 250 in it. Absolutely breath taking combination in Sound and Flight. Sounds like the real thing. Anyways.... Cheers and good luck. Let me know if anyone is interested in information regarding possibly getting one of these beauties and ill put you in touch with the gentle man I bought mine from. :)

kev71h 12-10-2010 05:04 PM

subscribe

TTRotary 01-03-2011 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: nexusdc5

Hello all, Im very new to this forum regarding the Gee Bee R3 59 inch span. I stumbled upon a guy selling one of these beauties on RCU. I did some research on this plane and it was beautiful. So I bought it, the guy is out of Canada and he says he can get more if anyone is interested. I should be getting mine this week. The Quality of this aircraft is amazing. Just wanted to share the good news. Need to find time to start building it along with the 32% CARF Gee Bee Im presently building. Im putting a Moki 250 in it. Absolutely breath taking combination in Sound and Flight. Sounds like the real thing. Anyways.... Cheers and good luck. Let me know if anyone is interested in information regarding possibly getting one of these beauties and ill put you in touch with the gentle man I bought mine from. :)
Aww man, I don't care if she flies like a buckin bronco. I'd kill for one of these gorgeous planes. Please let us know what your Canadian friend can do. I emailed the French hobby company that carried them, waiting for a response...

Meanwhile, I've got my Cermark Fantasy Racer, but it's not the same. Very nice flyer though.