RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scale Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/)
-   -   GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/3589652-gee-bee-r3-racer-wow.html)

lazun 11-26-2005 02:39 PM

GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Check this thing out:

Tony Pacini 11-27-2005 02:19 PM

RE: GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!!

Wow! That is one mean looking airplane. Is it really an R3? :eek:

jlkonn 11-27-2005 02:25 PM

1312Y is shown on the FAA registry as a 1961 Cessna 172

lazun 11-27-2005 05:32 PM

[link]http://www.airworld.online.de/deutsch/Motorflugzeuge/GeeBee/Geebee.htm[/link]

Its a model this is were I found it. If a real one was ever built I don't know.

JFisher304 11-27-2005 10:27 PM

The R3 was a fantasy racer originally drawn by an Italian artist by the name of Mirco Pecorari. Airworld blatantly ripped off the design without Mico's permission and started producing the kits. The matter is being taken to court as we speak. As soon as it is all worked out, Mirco will begin producing the kit in two different sizes. In addition to his aviation artwork, he designs paint schemes for full size designs such as this.
[img]
http://www.relentlessairracing.com/images/th-reno06.jpg[/img]

jlkonn 11-28-2005 07:22 AM

Both very beautiful planes!
JLK

mcpecos 11-29-2005 12:55 AM

Hi,

my name is Mirco Pecorari from Italy.

Yes you are right. This is my design and this german guys stoled some months ago.
I'm aircraft designer and I'm working on some racer projects (real size).
The Gee Bee R3 will be build in real scale in collaboration with Jim Kimball Enterprise.
The only scale model factory authorized to build a copy of my R3 design is
Donuts Models.

Airworld had a wrong top view so they have a wrong pair of wings.
The original R3 have a very beautiful wings and better spinner.

Thanks

Mirco Pecorari

HighPlains 11-29-2005 01:00 AM

So how are you calling it a Gee Bee R3? Who gave permission?

jlkonn 11-29-2005 06:33 AM

Micro,
It's a beautiful design.
Great style!
JLK

bat1327 11-29-2005 02:41 PM

let us know when you are going to produce kits , would love to have one

hattend 11-29-2005 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Is Granville Brothers Aircraft still in business? Who would you get the permission from?

Don

hattend 11-29-2005 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: bat1327

let us know when you are going to produce kits , would love to have one
Dittos

Don

Potawatomi13 12-08-2005 05:52 AM

Highplains;

I've been a huge fan of the Gee Bee Z since I was a boy in the 50s and done some reading about the Granvilles. When the last 2 brothers were still alive in the 70s they were very helpful to those working on replicas of their original planes. Consider thia as well as the fact that Granville Brothers Aircraft closed their doors many years ago and considering how willing they were to help replica builders of their planes, it doesn't seem much of a stretch that they would be happy for someone to carry on with their name on their models. At least if they weren't patenting the family name.
I am one of those thrilled to see at least the shadow of Mircos "fantasy racer" Gee Bee. I think of it as what a Gee Bee from another reality might look like from the same time period. It's recognizeable but quite different at the same time. It's just unfortunate that Airworld stole the design from Mirco.

Now just imagine if you will when the real full scale plane is revealed to the world.........I can hardly wait!

Bill Kohler[8D]

HighPlains 12-08-2005 10:00 AM

I've seen several of the full sized replica Gee Bee's, one successful and one that crashed. Both were built with great care to reproduce the original. This model, although pretty, is not a Gee Bee. It can be a lot of things, but it will never be a Gee Bee.

DHG 12-08-2005 11:32 AM

He probably should've called it a "Jeebie" or something ... sort of like the "Utter Chaos" after the "Super Kaos", and of course all the "Stik" and "Stick" derivatives after Phil Kraft's original "Ugly Stik". If I recall correctly, Kraft designed the Ugly Stik as a quick-and-dirty radio test airplane, just something to put a repaired radio in to make sure it would fly once around the field before taking the radio out and shipping it back to the owner.

Whatever you call Mirco's design, it is a spectacular work of art and a worthy tribute to the Brothers Gibb ... um, I mean, the Granville Brothers. ;) I hope he gets all the credit (and profit) that is rightfully his.

Duane Gall
RCPRO

HighPlains 12-12-2005 12:03 AM

He probably should've called it a "Jeebie" or something

How about the "Heebie-Jeebie"?

Potawatomi13 12-15-2005 10:50 AM

He probably should've called it a "Jeebie" or something

How about the "Heebie-Jeebie"?
That's something that gives you the creeps. This plane definitely does NOT.[&:]

-JC- 12-17-2005 01:29 PM

Hi Guys,

The Gee Bee is now available in the US.

www.airworld-usa.com

Thanks

js3 12-17-2005 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: John Christensen

Hi Guys,

The Gee Bee is now available in the US.

www.airworld-usa.com

Thanks
Cool! Just $3590.00 :eek:

bat1327 12-18-2005 05:53 PM

what about mirco 's issue's john

-JC- 12-18-2005 11:42 PM

Hi Bat1327

My reply is here in this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3663662/tm.htm

HighPlains 12-19-2005 12:09 AM

So in other words, it's not scale. Granville Brothers never designed it, nor did anyone working for them. And you don't know or much care if the design was ripped off from a guy who claims to have created this farce in the first place. So why are you promoting it as scale on your web site or here?

bat1327 12-19-2005 09:20 AM

thanks john for the reply, i just wanted some more facts

KJKimball 12-25-2005 12:32 PM

Hello group. My Name is Kevin Kimball. I built a full size replica of the Gee Bee Z in 1996. I am friends with Mirco who created the R3. It is NOT a real airplane in the sense of being from our aviation past. It does not exist as a full size airplane and has not existed yet. Mirco and I became friends a few years ago when he was researching some history on Pitts Specials. We own the design rights to andmanufacture the full size Pitts Model 12 kit. We sell full size plans as well. So, I have a view on the R3 issue from a slightly different window than most of you. Simply stated, Mirco is upset that his design was used by someone to create the model that is now available and lied about the origin of the creation. The story being sold with the model is that it was a long lost Granville design. I know this is not true, so do most of you. Mirco simply wishes to have credit for his design. Ir the kit maker would simply add a one line statement such as "Based on a design by Mirco Pecorari", Mirco may be satisfied. Jim, you might consider such a statement on your site even if the overseas gang doesn't. Can't hurt. I don't think he is after some large sum of cash as some of you have indicated. I speak with him each week and know him well.

About the R3, it is NOT a Granville design in any way, shape or form. If you study the airplane a bit, you will see features that were not invented in the day of the Gee Bee racers. NACA vents for example. There are many little clues. One of you wrote that the N number was on a Cessna or some other current airplane. OK. The number Mirco placed on it has significance to him. It is his birth month and day. There is no legal restriction on the term "Gee Bee".

Mirco has not claimed to have designed the model as was mentioned. He created the design, the concept of the R3. Someone else took is copyrighted art and created the model from that.

I do have an agreement with Mirco to be the only place to build the full size R3. It is going to be a fun project.

We own the rights to the pitts Model 12. As you guys know, there are many models made of this airplane. Only one kit maker contacted us to see if it was OK to do so. That is Bob Truworthy at www.bigairplanes.com. I think it is cool to have models of our airplanes flying. The difference between the model 12 and the R3 is there are no claims by th ekit maker that their version of the model 12 was a long lost creation found in a polar ice cap in the hands of a lost WWI fighter ace.

Hopefully, this post helps clear the issue a bit for everyone.

BTW, my father, son and I fly R/C as well.

Sincerely,

Kevin Kimball
www.jimkimballenterprises.com
www.pittsmodel12.com

jlkonn 12-25-2005 02:10 PM

Kevin,
I am the one that looked up the "N" number in the registry.
I did so not to accuse anyone of fraud but to try to point out that the number wasn't assigned to any "lost" GeeBee.
I appreciate the style of the airplane.
Good luck with it's contruction!
JLK

warbird_1 11-04-2006 05:12 PM

it's still a beutiful plane !! i really like the lines on her .

Major Pain 11-14-2006 01:06 AM

The R3 is one sharpe plane. Can't afford $3600. Wonder if any plans to kit or sell plans for models. Would have to have one.-----------------Revver #164

tom czenthe 11-14-2006 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"He Be Gee Bee" sort of R3 scratch built G 62 power flys great

Major Pain 11-15-2006 08:27 AM

Beautiful plane. Did you build from plans? Could a R2 be bashed into this?-------------------Revver Bro #164

tom czenthe 11-15-2006 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are no plans available for the "He Be Gee Bee", it is built completely from scratch following the basic Gee Bee construction techniques with a little massaging here and there.

Major Pain 11-16-2006 07:42 PM

Great looking plane Tom.------------------Revver Bro #164

bzyguy01 12-07-2006 04:59 PM

Tom,
AWESOME! Youre tweaking of the plane turned out fantastic!
I'm Jealous of your talent! And every builders talent for that matter.

AeroChia 03-21-2007 11:57 PM

Awesome Gee Bee R3 airplane...
Visit www.aerochia.com and see a similar airplane soon to be finished for the Sport Class at the Reno Air Races.
See you there,
Peechie Riviera

AeroChia 03-21-2007 11:59 PM

Awesome Gee Bee R3 airplane...

Peechie Riviera

geebee r1 04-02-2007 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hi
i just start a new projekt a geebee r3
with a span of 98,40 inch
for a zenoah 62 cc
you can see tke pic's on my website
http://www.geebeeflyer.be

jjmretired 04-03-2007 10:49 AM

Ringo, Great looking R3. I am going to build one for my next project. Did you draw your own plans? What type of construction did you use? I have studied all the photos I could find on the internet. The photos on the Airworld web site reminded me of a modified Spitfire. I was thinking of getting the Brian Taylor 83" Spitfire and modifying the plans and using the same type construction. It's too bad the Donuts ARF is so small (60"). Have you flown it yet? Jay

Janusz J 04-22-2007 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
I liked the sexy curves of Mr. Microni design so much that I builded couple of similar models. They all fly very nice on electric power - 250 and 300 motors. IMHO they look really cool in the air! I did some mods mostly to the appendage section. I know that they are on a small scale - 18 and 25" WS, I am in process of building 48" powered by Hacker B50 9S - that is the biggest size my finances let me go.
I hope that you enjoy the pic.
Janusz

BULLITTGT 07-26-2007 08:18 PM

hi jimretired
you mentioned a 60 in. R3 arf by donut models.
Can you provide any further information on this model?
I would be very interested in this model.
Thanks
Jim

geebee r1 08-05-2007 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yesterday was the maidenflight of my R3
hi flow great but the tail was a bit heavy
i change the cg and try it again

jjmretired 08-05-2007 08:16 AM

Good looking airplane. What is the wing span, weight and engine? I'm getting ready to start one. It's going to have a 88" wing span with a 50cc gas engine. I've been thinking about modifying a Spitfire kit.