Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Helicommand + Zero Degrees = unstable

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Helicommand + Zero Degrees = unstable

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 AM
rcfan450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicommand + Zero Degrees = unstable

So I flew my heli a couple times in the last week in 0 - 10 degree weather and it seemed very unstable. I am curious if anyone else has noticed this with their helicommand? It is usually rock solid level flight, but I usually fly in 40+ degree weather too....

Maybe it's not the helicommand? Maybe it's something else, but if so, what could it be? Thoughts?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 PM
rcfan450

Default RE: Helicommand + Zero Degrees = unstable

anybody...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take it from somewhere with a much higher temp and then start flying it right away?
Try letting it cool to the outside temp a bit before flying.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 PM
rcfan450

I did take it from my car (warm) and then to the cold. Letting it cool off more may be bad due to the explanation below:

I emailed Helicommand about this and they suggested the extreme cold temps may be freezing or thickening up the grease in the servos.
I might believe that too. It was zero degrees the one time I flew and it was simply all over the place, I barely got it back on the ground. The other time I had troubles it was around 10-15 degrees and it wasn't so bad, but still not good.

The other day we warmed right up to a nifty 25 degrees and it flew just fine. I think they might have a point with the grease thing. In which case, no more cold temperature flying for me. When that bird is in the air with camera and all, it's worth around $3600! Not the kind of bird to take chances with.