Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

newb scale ??

Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Johnnysplits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb scale ??

Hey guys need some help. I don't have a heli yet, but have been using the phoenix v3 sim for a few weeks now. My only interest is scale helis...no 3D for me. I've narrowed my choices down to two....Titan 450V2 and Copter X CX450 pro V3 FBL. Which would you choose?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 AM
ferretmaster

Default RE: newb scale ??

Well seeing that none are responding, I will offer my advice.

I wish I had saved the money I spent on my 450's (scale) and put it towards the 500 size. For me, the larger size is so much more stable, to say nothing about much easier to work on....bigger pieces and more room in the fuselage.

Yes they do cost more, but not all that much when you look at the overall cost of ANY scale project. I did one 600 size and THERE I could not justify the cost, but just HADTOHAVE that Mi-24 HIND in my hanger. Go with a CopterX.....quality is "good enough" if not perfect!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Johnnysplits

ORIGINAL: ferretmaster

Well seeing that none are responding, I will offer my advice.

I wish I had saved the money I spent on my 450's (scale) and put it towards the 500 size. For me, the larger size is so much more stable, to say nothing about much easier to work on....bigger pieces and more roon in the fuselage.

Yes they do cost more, but not all that much when you look at the overall cost of ANY scale project. I did one 600 size and THERE I could not justify the cost, but just HADTOHAVE that Mi-24 HIND in my hanger.Go with a CopterX.....quality is "good enough" if not perfect!
Funny you should mention the larger heli. Ultimately, I would LOVE to have a really scaled out 700 size. But sooo much money even though bigger does fly easier. The thing for me with the copterx is it's cheap to learn on...the mechanics of itand flying. They have a 450 FBL artf kit that im interested in...$182 shipped and all I need is a battery, ok a few batteries and a radio system. Already have a futaba 6ex so im good there. I really want to make sure im in love with heli's before dropping a couple grand on a big one.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:38 AM
Dirt Biter

Johnnysplits,

you have the right idea, start small and then if you like it, go bigger.

I dropped straight into a 600 size build after adventures with a co-ax and have 30 sized Kalt Baron 30 waiting on an overhaul but I love the scale side of things. 3D? That's not for me as there is nothing better than seeing a scale bird perform simple manouvers instead of some frenetic wasp buzzing about the sky. Not knocking P&B flyers but it just does not appeal to me.

Starting on a 450 is a reasonable way to go but the smaller the bird, the more difficult it is to replicate some of the features of the actual heli being scaled. I am doing a 1/18th scale CH53E on a High Torque PETg fuse using a Flasher 600ESP as the donor mechanics. When building scale it is always the best idea to get the mechanics flying before you install and save a lot of headaches but in my case the mechanics have no boom to the tail as it is a carrier version I am making complete with the folding tail pylon so it is wire drives for me after trying to resolve transmission problems through a massive gear chain to get the 5 degree forwards lean of the main rotor, folding body, the 20 degree side lean of the tail and the 53 degree back lean that the raised tail requires.

What started out as a basic build is now growing like "Topsy" with all the planned additions to the base model I started with such as - seven blade rotor head, outboard 4 blade tail rotor pitch control, moving 1/18th scale pilot & co-pilot (9.5cm), working cockpit controls, folding tail pylon "E" conversion the the "D" fuselage, replicated hydraulic landing gear driven by 360 degree converted servos, scale lighting system with landing lights, extending mid-air refuelling probiscus, opening windows and doors and if I can manage it, working flare dispenser and to top it all off - a desert cammo paint job as per HMH466

Just shows you that when the Scale Bug bites you, you are a gonner! There are many good threads, here and in the other heli forums, regarding scale building and the books by Peter Wales and Len Mount are a scale builders' essential tool.

If you want to see some interesting scale work on small birds then take a look at some in the RunRyder scale gallery - an MPx in a Revell plastic model body that actually flies, work by Krumrick2 from 250s to 700s in scale birds - his "Little Bird" is a great example and check out the Airwolf he worked on, plus many more fantastic builds.

Whatever you decide on your build I am sure that you will progress to larger or even scratch building. If you find yourself getting stuck or wondering how the hell to do something then these forums are invaluable. Many forum members will only be too glad to help you out with advice and techniques.

OH! almost forgot, when you do decide what you are going to build then research it as much as you can and get as many photos, descriptions, drawings etc as you possibly can to help you along the way, I managed to collect 2Gb for my build and am still researching for the finer points!

Go Scale!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Johnnysplits

Dirt Biter - Thanks man!!! Iwould love to see some pics of your creation....sounds awesome!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Dirt Biter

ORIGINAL: Johnnysplits

Dirt Biter - Thanks man!!! I would love to see some pics of your creation....sounds awesome!!!

So would I but it is still in the 'million parts' stage - boxes of bits, amputated pilots, disassembled servos etc. I am hoping to make major progress this summer and have it in flying condition for the fall. I am in no hurry to build it as there is still a lot of prefabrication to do to this.

Word of advice! High Torque fuses are most decidedly NOT for beginners! Too much phaffing around to get them assembled right.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Johnnysplits

ORIGINAL: Dirt Biter
Word of advice! High Torque fuses are most decidedly NOT for beginners! Too much phaffing around to get them assembled right.
I totally don't understand what your saying. What is a high torque fuse?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Dirt Biter

ORIGINAL: Johnnysplits

I totally don't understand what your saying. What is a high torque fuse?

A company called High Torque brought out low priced fuselages vacuum formed from 1mm PETg and router cut wood parts. I had a lot of issues with mine with missing woodwork, misalignment and inconsistent thickness of the PETg. After slamming it off a few walls it is now a bit more manageable!
Seriously, it is a hard fuse to work with but will be worth it in the end - I hope!

Just an aside, as said before 450 birds are reasonably cheap and plentiful but you would be better starting with a 500 as the range of fuselages for this and 600 size give you a good choice for a scale build.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Johnnysplits

Just an aside, as said before 450 birds are reasonably cheap and plentiful but you would be better starting with a 500 as the range of fuselages for this and 600 size give you a good choice for a scale build.
What if I just started saving my pennies and just went for a 700 size??
Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 PM
ferretmaster

Again....I would suggest saving half the pennies and getting a 500 size.....just saying!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Johnnysplits

Ok i'll start looking at 500's Thanks guys!!