Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Custom Scratch Built EC120 Fuse question

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Custom Scratch Built EC120 Fuse question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 03:41 PM
rdhays2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Scratch Built EC120 Fuse question

I am new to scratch building RC's but am handy at building stuff. I was wondering what the easiest way to scratch build a fueslage for an 1:10 scale EC120 turbine helicopter without any special equipment? thanks.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:16 PM
cap231ex

There is nothing easy about it.
First you need to find a set of good 3-view drawing that you can enlarge to the size you need ( this will require a projector usually to enlarge and project the drawing image on the wall so you can get all 3 views to the correct size you need).
After that you will need to start on the plug ( this will be made from patterns you make from the sized 3- view drawling and will have all the details and the shape of the final fuselage ) , this is usually made out of Dow Blue or Pink foam but can be made out of balsa wood as well , oh and by the way this is the messiest and takes the most time to get it just right.
Once you get the plug just right and the way you want it you can start molding , this will require epoxy and glass cloth and matting ( if you use foam for the plug it is important to use epoxy and not polyester as polyester will melt the foam) , and I guess this takes a fair bit of time as well because a tipical fuselage usually requires about 10 - 15 different molds to make a successful fuselage , oh and a lot of time and hard work.
After you have made all your molds then you can start to lay up you first scratch built fuselage one piece at a time until you have all your pieces then your start to glas them together until you have a complete fuselage.
Enjoy and welcome to scale building.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:10 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

in the end if it looks good then a) yeah you spent alot of time making the fuse but if it looks good then you can pat yourself on the back b) think of how much cash you save by having your own molds them fuses arent cheap at all ! most em em look like shyte tbh as you can see wires and electronics etc. most on the market are wayyy overpriced .02