Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Bell 222, Any help appreciated...

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Bell 222, Any help appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 AM
ddx77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bell 222, Any help appreciated...

Not quite sure what Ihave here. Iam new to the hobby and this was giving to me by someone who new less than me. I would like to try and get it running but not sure where to start.

Any help will be appreciated.

1 Blade is 660mm (26")

Old 12-05-2009, 11:56 AM
mgrande11

Default RE: Bell 222, Any help appreciated...

Ahh if anyone had a heli stolen there it is, nobody just gives these away especially to a noob, do yourself a favor don't try to fly it, if you do please include me in your will I'll rebuild it.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:57 PM
ddx77

LOL

Thanks...

Any advice on where to start?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:43 PM
FxstsTwo
My Feedback: (8)

Happy Holidays, If you know little to nothing about helis, this bird is the wrong place to start. You have quite a machine there. My advice is to go to your local hobby shop and find where your local flying club is and pay them a visit. I am sure alot of them will be glad to take a look at it for you. If you want to learn start with a simulator and work your way up. You have a primo machine there and if you try to do it buy yourself it will not turn out well. Most of us have been at this for years and still are not ready for a heli like this. Don't take this the wrong way as I know nothing about you or your flying skills, but I do know helis. Please take the time to learn about them or you and anyone around will be in alot of danger. You have alot to learn as all of us do. I have been building and flying for alot of years and I still am learning more all the time. Don't start out at the top work your way up and you won't be sorry. Best of luck.-Roger-
Old 12-05-2009, 05:57 PM
ddx77

Thank you Roger, I take no offense from those with experience. I am old enough to know my limitations and have been educating myself about getting started. I really want to get this one in shape though, and I promise I will not fly it unless I have someone with experience assisting me. But Ido think this one needs a great deal of work, I am looking forward to restoring it. It's actually sitting on top of my 69 z28 that I just finished restoring. I am changing modes and want to start a new hobby, this one fell into my lap. But again as with alot of guys Ihave always been intrigued by rc helicopters.

Thanks for the compliment on the heli also. I am aware now of what Ihave here and have a great deal of respect for it.

This is a great site, glad Ifound it!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 PM
choppersrule

Drew,

That's one beautiful helicopter you have there. I concur with with Roger / FxstsTwo, this is not a Heli for a beginner, far from it. I'd take a guess that it's about $2,000 you're looking at. Plus or minus a little. Lol ! Where to start is a very difficult question to say the least. I've been flying helis for about 4 years now. It took me about a year before I was comfortable flying it in all orientations. We all have different learning curves, some take to it very fast, and some never do. It really is an art to fly a helicopter.

I never did have a Flight Simulator, however, I'd recommend one. I would have saved a ton of money, in crashes and spare parts.

In this hobby you have to keep in mind that, it takes a lot of patience, dedication and alot of practice, practice, and more practice, and a pretty deep wallet too. Lol !

Myself, I started with coaxial helis, easy to fly and teaches you orientation. Then to the fixed blades, then the cppm's. One thing to keep in mind is availability, meaning, what does your local hobby shop (LHS) support. And go from there. Otherwise, you're dependent on online ordering and extra shipping charges and waiting periods.

Take some time to Google around and find out all you can about how helicopters work and why..

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72675.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1331512  
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There isnt much that can be said fron that photo, that is beyond what everyone has already said. I'd say take it to a local club and find someone that knows scale Helis. They can give you an Idea what if any work it needs to be brought into flying shape. That doesnt mean you will be ready to fly it. Get a sim and a pod and boom heli to start. In a year or Two you may be ready for that bird. Oh and welcome to the Bell 222 Club
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43474.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	1331658  
Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 PM
ddx77

Hey guys, I think Ijust want to sell it so if anyone is interested, let me know. Ihave a baby coming in 3 weeks and really have no time to mess around with it. Let alone learning to fly one before Ieven touch this one.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM
ddx77

Well Igot some feedback from my ad for the helicopter, not sure it's worth as much as my buddy thought it was.

I think Iwill take it apart, detail and paint it and hang it in my garage.

Link to more pics: http://photobucket.com/222bell
Old 02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Wow that thing has a 4 stroke engine. Wonder what mechanics they are, can't tell from the pictures.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM
ddx77

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Wow that thing has a 4 stroke engine. Wonder what mechanics they are, can't tell from the pictures.

Yeah goes to show you what I know, Ithought a 4 stroke would be more up to date than a 2 stroke.

It has wood blades too, which Ifigured would be nice ot strip the paint and clear coat the natural wood.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:50 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Nice helicopter. Your post is kind of like this...

My friend gave me this car. I don't know how to drive yet I just ride the bus. Can someone tell me what kind of car this is and how I can turn it on?

I think mgrande11 is right about it being a HOT heli. I feel bad for the guy that lost it.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 PM
kaltbaron222

That is a well finished egg beater..........looks like a Kalt Baron Bell 222...cant be too sure until I am able to see the rotor system and mechanics.
I have a Kalt Baron Bell 222 60 size with retracts, purchased it in 1985, it still flies...
Old 12-03-2010, 09:31 PM
kaltbaron222

I did not realise there were detailed photos .............well ! I can tell u its a Kaltbaron Bell 222 alright, it has a standard K1 rotor haed and a conversion kit for a 4 stroke.
The model I have is fitted with a custom 3 black rotor head and a 2 stroke OS engine.....for its time the mechanics are well engineered and weights a ton when fitted to the fibreglass fuselage.
It was one of the top quality models during its time.....still looks good today
Old 12-04-2010, 03:54 AM
AmishWarlord

Hey kaltbaron222 I was thinking about getting my 13 year old nephew into the hobby. Will you give yours to him?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:17 PM
kaltbaron222

Nice try mate !
I was actually planning to replace this old model until a chap in singapore gave me an estimated value on the machine.....now ! I am keeping it until I am offered good $$$$ for it. Besides it was my first 60 size heli, I bought it in Singapore and took it with me to Borneo where I was based........imagine starting Rc hobby in wild borneo, it was an experience I will never forget........to my surprise I found quite a number of hardcore RC flyers...........Oh ! yeah this guys built everything from scratch, parts and kits were difficult o get.....many got items from Tower Hobbies via post...and if any Rc member went overseas, he would become a mule for Rc parts for members. Despite the isolation, difficulty in getting kits or parts, this was a very close group of fliers who flew whenever and whereever we could.

Back to my old heli, its all metal, quality built rotor system, the wooden blades manufactured in early 1980s still work...(craftmanship of the past)..........the only thing I have a problem with is cooling of the engine in summer...........I hope the upgrade to a OS 70 and designing a new exhaust system would give it a litle more power.
The other thing about this bird is the flying rotor speed.........would u believe me if I told u it flies on 900RPM main rotor speed with the wooden blades and she behaves like the real B222........slow nose pitch down and gentle forward speed...............its flying characteristics are very close to the full size bird.

I plan to post some old photos of my days in Borneo........................where man were wild fliers....haaahaaaa

Cheers
Old 12-04-2010, 07:35 PM
AmishWarlord

Well I found out that Dx's model came from a lady that got a divorce and 1/2 the poor guys RC stuff. I got some Dillon reloading equipment the same way.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:53 AM
kaltbaron222

Poor bugger..losing 1/2 his RC gear
Old 12-06-2010, 01:55 AM
kaltbaron222

Has anyone out there stuffed a Thunder Tiger 30 into a 30 size funkey twin star fuselage....any problems I should know about.