Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Thinking about it

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Thinking about it

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:15 AM
vallon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about it

I am thinking about getting into scale helicopters later on. Maybe like in two years or so, but I want to gather some info. I am trying to decide between gas or turbine, not nitro. I know the turbine heli would cost a lot more, but is it worth it? What kind of things should I be careful of with both?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:50 PM
vallon

Default RE: Thinking about it

Is there anyone who knows the goods and bads between turbine and gas engines?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Christopher J

Having no turbind experience I can't say anything wrong about it. I'm looking foward to building a turbine scaler at some point. In my opinion (not fact, just opinion) If you're new to scalers perhaps you'd be better suited with going gasser first. I feel there would be less complication going that route first and then later getting a turbine powered heli. Start off with something less complicated and concentrate on your build and ease of operation.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:18 AM
vallon

That sounds like a good idea. I mean I don't want to sound like I am better than anyone else because I know I am not, but knowing myself, things that are usually are a require some skill I get pretty good at. I just feel I would get bored with it too quickly if I just get a higher nitro heli and made it a scale heli. I would rather slip into something different. Something that I have to learn a little bit more about. Because I know nothing about gas heli at this moment. I just about already know nitros and have had lots of sim experience. Almost too much. Well you can never have too much. I am just saying I would like to get something bigger and a bit more advanced, but atleast not as advanced as a turbine heli. I know the gas ones will be a bit cheaper.

Have you ever seen this sight? http://www.variocanada.com/product_i...oducts_id=2220

I think it is absolutely awsome!
Old 01-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Christopher J

I've looked at Vario Canada's site a few times. Mostly though I'm on the [link=http://www.eastcoastvario.com]East Coast Vario[/link] site.

Same stuff, just a different location.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 PM
vallon

Yeah I like both of those sites. They are the same. I should be on the East cost sight more myself. I have them both bookmarked so that I can order stuff from them when I have more money saved up. I will start the scale hobby very very slowly. I am thinking of starting with the scale fusalage and paint it down to the details and work on that for a while before getting the mechanics.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Christopher J

I don't want to discourage you in any way but when your are building a scaler you would want to fit your mechs before and other parts before painting and body detail.

Normally the order I go in is to fit the mechs and any add ons. After several trial fits of mechs and all radio gear to make sure it's where I want it then I take it all back apart and start permanantly mounting everything to the point of being ready to fly. I will fly my builds for about a month or two as much as I can. This gives me time to make sure eveything will hold up as well as look for potential problems or see if I want to change something, make new hatches, move weight around, ect....

If you were to paint it first you would damage your paint job when cutting on the body and fitting things.

Just my opinion
Old 01-06-2006, 08:39 AM
vallon

Wow that is a lot better than just an opinion. I don't know anything about these things so this kind of stuff helps me a lot. I was not sure at all how the body fits on the mechanics. So there is a lot of work to making things fit properly? That sounds like it would be a lot better idea to make sure everything fits and works before painting and doing any finishing touches. Does the body come with any mounting to the mechanics or would I just be on my own with that completely?
Old 01-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Christopher J

Most fuses on the market have wood kits that are built up internaly on the fuse for support and for attaching the mechs. Some are made to fit different mfg's mechs but will at times require some "modeling" on your part for good fit.

If you went with a body like the ones from Vario they come with thier formers dye cut and specific for one of their three lines of mechanics. They are pretty much straight forward. You just have to take your time as you build so as not to overlook anything.

When building a scaler just take your time, ask plenty of questions, measure twice...cut once. If you are using pod n boom mechs have your heli well flown and set up to the point that you trust it. While enjoying the helicopter work on the body. That is how I did my last three scalers. I enjoyed the Benzin mechs for UH so much I sat on the body for a while before doing anything with it because I didn't want to disassemble part of the mechs to begin the fitting process.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:00 PM
vallon

Thats the way I would have to do it. Very slow. I guess I should make sure everything works first before making sure everything looks good, huh? Are there any books about building scale helis. Actually I bet they have some at my hobby shop around here. But any help would be great. Maybe there is a website that I missed that explains good details.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Christopher J

This is a good forum on which to ask questions and get good info but you should also visit www.scalerchelis.com

It is a scale oriented forum with a number of knowledgable people.