Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Painting and Visual Mods

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Painting and Visual Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Raptorg007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting and Visual Mods

What is the best paint and method to use for painting the cheap platic canopies?

I am wanting to make my honeybee 2 look like Duke Life Flight which is who i work for

Also any recomendations on where to get small decals and such for the lettering

Id also like to see some other peoples visual mods on small electric helis i cant wait to put a ducted fan on my honeybe to make it look even more like life flight

here is a pic of Dukes bird
[img][/img]

and a link to the badest little micro ive seen so far
]http://www.mjpcarbon.com/inc/sdetail/361[/link]

Please post spme pics of your mods or any other cool customs

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39341.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	386843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87884.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	386844  
Old 01-14-2006, 05:13 AM
Helinut83

Default RE: Painting and Visual Mods

Hi. i assume you want to paint your HB2 body not a scale one. If you are after a scale one, Helihobby.com has a As365 Dauphin that fits the HB. Cost $45.00.
Now You would have to do some modding on the body but nothing you shouldn't be able to handle with some patience and skill. first if you haven't already is get the stickers off. After that you have to get that sticky residue off as well. Airbrush thinner works very well on this, take some on a cotton Q-tip and rub it on. 2 Minutes later you have a (Gel)
note test before you cover your Heli body this way, I have done many like this and never had a problem. Second Clean that surface really well, I have learned in the Auto restoration that clean surfaces make clean paint jobs. WARM water is good and mild dish detergent. Try not to use hot water as this will (warp) the thin bodies. Get some 1500 or 2000 grit WET DRY sanding paper. Use it wet and LIGHTLY sand your body down just take the shine off , This allows the paint to STICK. 3M is good for Sand paper.Then wash it again. I have used the Reynold's Cling wrap to mask where I don't want paint, IE the (WINDSHIELD) This is where you shouldn't sand, if you do the Cling wrap will not stick and paint will get under it......VERY BAD. Then get your self a (AIR BRUSH) you will be happier with the results this way. I have used the TESTORS Air brush system from walmart. it works despite what people might say. Thinning the paint is very important. Use the thinning chart that comes with most quality air brush systems. I only use air brush thinners, just my preference. I have always done dark over light when it comes to 2 tone colors. In your case the black over blue no brainier I know. I also recommend using a (backer) since the plastic is so thin light will come through. flat black or sprint white works. this can be the can type since your just using it inside your body. Remember test all these tequnices just because they work for me they might not work for you. The Air brush system is something you will probably want if you repaint alot of bodies. Paint goes farther and is relatively cheaper to. Use model masters paint if you can better mix. You should always stir your paint in the bottle first with a tooth pick or thin dowel, and mix paint in clean jars. Sorry if I told you anything you might already know, I am going on assumption that you never did this before. Please I stress this DO NOT PAINT HEAVY, I have seen paint jobs on rc bodies where people thought it was OK to paint alot on the body to keep light from coming through, this does nothing but make a sh*ty paint job. Use the backer.

Now for the decals I would again use a TESTORS decal system, Get that from walmart to. $12.00 If all you are doing is putting the call sign on the body (Not sure if that is correct. ) The size of the decal is roughly the same size on the screen before you print it. I used a cheap INK JET printer with nice results. The system comes with a can used for sealing the decal so it doesn't !QUOT!bleed!QUOT! onto the paint, use this stuff lightly and in a well ventilated area, this stuff stinks!!! First time I used it I couldnt stop coughing. Should have read that label I guess. I hope this helps you as much as possible. I wish I could post pics of mine for you but I don't have a digital cam at the moment. I spend all my money on my helis second, family first.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:39 AM
Raptorg007

Default RE: Painting and Visual Mods

Hey man i appreciate you taking time to reply with such an informative post
i am going to go to walmart tommorow and pick up that spray gun and label maker
i am also very tempted to buy a blade cx now after seeing how good this guys looks in makeing a ems replica:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3762993
and i hear very good things about the cx for an indoor easy to fly helo

well i am going to practice with my stock hb canopy and if i am any good ill buy that one from heli hobby
i also want to get a blackhawk canopy and do a rep of the dustoff i was on in iraq i cant find that canopy yet thought
let me know if anyone knows where to get one

asfor the duke label i guess ill have to cut that out my self that and the ems symbol or maybe i can print one off a lazer printer like you said and seal it ill have to mess around with it

thanks alot and ill send you some pics if it turns out good
or bad for that matter to show yall how bad i butcher it lol

let me know if yall come across anything else or if anyone has some cool pics of modded micro Helos