Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Raptor 30 Scale Model

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Raptor 30 Scale Model

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:47 AM
samstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 30 Scale Model

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Raptor 30 with an OS37 engine. I am seriously considering moving to scale but love the Raptor so much that I want to use those mechanics.
I realise that the R30 doesn't fit brilliantly into most scale fuses...So, I was thinking, because the OS37 is fairly powerful maybe I could put the mechanics in a 50 size fuselage keeping the same blades but using a Raptor 50 tail boom and belt. This way the Raptor mechanics would fit in easily, maybe even without the need for the century scale muffler. The 50 fuses are also nicer (more scale detail) than the 30s fuses.
Does this sound like a good idea?

I'm looking at getting either the bell 222, longranger or twinstar fuselage.

Thanks for your help guys
Old 01-26-2006, 12:32 AM
HELI-JOKER
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Raptor 30 Scale Model

try this place:
http://www.ewtech.com/Merchant2/merc...Code=Fuselages
barracudahockey put one of these on a Raptor but Im not sure if it was a 30 or a 50.
Good Luck
Joe
Old 01-26-2006, 12:55 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

I'm not sure I would use a 37 in a 50-sized fuse. You might be flying behind the power curve. The last thing you want to do is punch in your scale ship! [X(]
Old 01-26-2006, 07:51 AM
samstar

ORIGINAL: RoyLFlush

try this place:
http://www.ewtech.com/Merchant2/merc...Code=Fuselages
barracudahockey put one of these on a Raptor but Im not sure if it was a 30 or a 50.
Good Luck
Joe
Looks interesting, and quite cheap too. Wonder what quality is like...??
I've sent Andy a PM to find out if its for 30 or 50 mechs. Do you know if the raptor fits into this ok?

cheers
sam
Old 01-26-2006, 09:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Its excellent quality. Its thicker than the funkey, roomier for the larger 30s and the fit and finish is quite good.

I've replied to the PM but I'm fitting a Shuttle Plus (its a back burner project right now) with an OS37, home made skids and a custom paint job. I've also got a set of Curtek nav lights for it. Now I just need time and work shop space. Hockey season and school keep me very busy, I'm going to get hot on it in the late spring.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:38 AM
samstar

Definately keep us posted on that one...I'm very interested
Old 01-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Christopher J

Samstar,

One of my flying buddies here in MO put a 50 sized Funkey body on his Raptor with an OS 37 in it. I flew it a couple of times after it was complete. It handled very well. He had a couple of coats of paint plus clear coat, lights, retracts, and some add ons. He was running 15% fuel with the stock muffler.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:45 PM
samstar

thanks christopher that's some interesting info...so it can be done. Did he just use a Raptor 50 tail boom on this 30 then?
Do you know if there was a lot of modifying needed to get the mechanics to fit nicely in the fuselage?

I've heard so many negative things about Raptor 30's in scale fuselages I'm debating whether to just buy some shuttle or hawk mechanics and use them for my scale project. It may be a more sensible idea but still not sure...
Old 01-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Christopher J

He used the longer boom and belt on his Raptor for the fuse.

With using the newer 50 size bodies the Raptors seem to fit without having to do any major modification. Some bodies will require you cut the front of the pitch arm and use the second hole but that's about it. Things are much better then they used to be for fitting Raptors in bodies.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:38 AM
samstar

I've just looked at the century bell 222 50 size fuselage. It says it weighs about 950g (2.1 lbs). I presume that's painted???...then retracts including extra servos and a lighting kit probably weighs in at about 350g (0.77 lbs). The longer Raptor 50 tail boom and belt probably don't add much wieght at all, so that's ok.
So it seems that all that lot would weigh in at around 1300g (2.87lbs).

Minus the stock undercarriage, boom supports, boom fins and canopy probably leaves you with about 500g (1.1 lbs) of total added weight.

Mmmm...I think the OS 37 has plenty of power to cater for that extra weight (especially on Magnum 20% fuel).

Christopher, you say your mates' handled nicely; did it still have a good amount of power?

I'm in a dilema now cos not sure whether to sell my raptor 30 and get a second hand pre-built scale or whether to just convert the rappy...thing is converting the rappy could be pricey as will need the fuse (50 bell 222: £220), a scale muffler (£50) and retracts (£70)... []
Old 01-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Christopher J

My friends had plenty of power to spare. I could fly his in a "sprited" fashion if I chose.

After he reweighed the ship he said he had gained a little over a pound, as you already noted once some things were taken off and others added.

I say go for it.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:35 PM
HELI-JOKER
My Feedback: (21)

you really want to get into scale?Ill sell you my Rap 60 with MD500 fuse for 2k.Chcek out my gallery.
Joe
Old 01-31-2006, 04:48 AM
samstar

Christopher: Very helpful advice there. I'll see what parts crop up on ebay and sell some of my 3D components on my raptor to allow me to invest in the 'scale bits'.

RoyLFlush: Thanks for offer, but I live in the UK and was after something smaller than a 60...

sam
Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Check the classifieds, my Shuttle is for sale with a Jet Ranger body.