Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Average scale size of micro helicopters?

I've always wanted to convert one of my micros into a scale bird. However, i'm not all that impressed with the overall scale look or detail of alot of the bodies currently available. While snowballing ideas around in my head, something ocurred to me. I'm not entirely certain it would work all that well, but here it is:

Many companies, such as Testors, and a few others, make scale plastic models of all kinds of various helicopters. I understand that these would probably be heavier than most lexan bodies, aswell as a bit more fragile/brittle. However, when it comes to scale, these models are usually dead on. Im wondering how well it would work if you took one of those models and hacked it up/modified it to fit on a standard micro heli frame.

Basically, i'm wondering if anyone has tried this, and, if anyone knows what the scale size most most micro helis in the blade/#4 Dragonfly range is? Most static models are offered in 1/32, 1/48 and 1/64 scales sizes, and I have no idea what their actual dimensions are. Testors lists no dimenions on their websites for the models.

Obviously, heavy modification would be needed, as I don't expect tail booms and all the like to match perfectly, but the idea would be nice if it could work.

So, any ideas? I'd be interested in hearing them [8D]
    Daniel
    True Northern Hobbies, Inc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Average scale size of micro helicopters?

it`s been done before, i`ve seen a plastic model of a huey that used a piccolo or similar, like you said, the weight will be an issue unless you use lipoly/brushless equipment. The current batch of scale bodies is not that good but there are a few nice ones like the jmd longranger etc. If you want super scale really you should design your own as you can acheive perfection.

I can`t wait to see some super scale multiblade micros in the air!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Toys R Us used to sell a GI Joe helicopter that was a Hughes 500 and quite a few guys converted them to 30 size scaler's, imagine, all the panel and rivet and cockpit work already done for you. They required quite a bit of dremeling out formers and such and anything that wasn't structural to save weight but when painted they looked freakin awesome.

So I imagine its only a matter of time before someone tries what you are suggesting.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I stumbled upon a fellow's website last night who did just this with a hummingbird. He uses a 1/35 scale MI-28 model. Looks really freakin' nice. He had to make some modifcations (such as carving a small hole in one side so the aileron arm didn't bind), aswell as upgrade to brushless and lithium power to get the helicopter out of it's own GE. But the end result was worth it. Had the full nine yards, rivets, windows, detailed cockpit, rocket pods, etc.

Only thing that required scratch building, to an extent, was the landing gear, which I expected anyways, it's unlikely those flimsy plastic ones would hold up to landing too well .

I think i'll try this out. I wanted to do a Huey as it's one of my favorite helicopters. Was thinking either the UH-1B Huey, or the UH-60 Blackhawk. Both would make awesome scale models .
    Daniel
    True Northern Hobbies, Inc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a suggestion, don't want to let the air out of your raft or anything, but you might look for a subject that has the tail rotor mounted on the boom vice the top of the vertical like the Apache, Black Hawk and aforementioned Bell UH-1 (huey)
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually the scale would vary. A 1:18 UH-1 Huey would be larger that a 1:18 Jet Ranger which the 1:18 jet ranger may work on the Blade but the 1:18 Huey may work on the Zoom or T-rex 450. The best way to go about sizing up a model is to find out what the specs are of the model and go from there.
    Owner/OEO/Mastercraftsman of Darth\'s
    Helibodies Darthdrk@juno.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THERE IS A GUY SOMEWHERE IN ASIA THAT HAS CONVERTED A NUMBER OF PLASTIC MODEL KITS INTO NICE LOOKING SCALE FUSELAGES FOR THE BLADE CP/HUMMINGBIRD SIZE MICROS. I DONT RECALL THE SITE WHERE I FOUND THE LINK BUT TWO OF THE HELICOPTERS CONVERTED WHERE THE REVELL/MONOGRAM 1/24TH SCALE UH-1D HUEY AND THE 1/32ND SCALE AH-1S COBRA. MY EXPERIENCE WITH PLASTIC MODELS TELLS ME THAT YOU WOULD HAVE TO DREMEL OUT MOST OF THE INTERIOR OF THE FUSELAGES TO LIGHTEN THEM UP. IT WOULD ALSO BE HARD TO USE THE COCKPIT DETAIL ON SUCH A SMALL MODEL WHILE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND MAKE THE MECHANICS FIT. IM SORRY THAT I COULDNT GIVE A LINK BUT I HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HOVERING.