Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Are Scale Helis Worthi IT?

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Are Scale Helis Worthi IT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:54 PM
sownare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Scale Helis Worthi IT?

Hello,

Since I was eight (I'm 35 now), I've wanted to try a genuine RC scale helicoper. Loved that early version of the Cobra, whose company I'm not able to recall. Guys, I'd really appreciate your input. Are scale helicopters harder to fly? I know they're more expensive, but are they harder to maintain? Do they require tremendous patience and finesse just to keep going? I have no experience in helis and I would like to steer clear of any hobby that requires exhaustive maintenance and upkeep. Please advise . . . Thank you again.

Phinneas
Old 04-10-2006, 03:05 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Are Scale Helis Worthi IT?

Any heli needs maintence and upkeep. Scale helis just make it a bit harder to access everything. They are usually flown in a more sedate manner than the current crop of 3d birds out there though most of those same helis can be adapted to scale flying.

Other than access to the components though they aren't any more demanding than a standard pod and boom and are a heck of alot better looking.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:09 PM
sownare

That's great news!! Is there any truth to the rumor that the larger .60 birds are easier to fly than their smaller .30 counterparts. Could you let me in on how much tweaking and maintenance an average pod-and-boom requires provided that the owner stays away from all that intense 3D flying. I mean, do you have to tweak systems after every flight? I'm interested in normal, scale flying (boring to some). Thank you!!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:29 PM
jez33

larger does mean more stable but they still need to be flown properly..i would still recomend you learn the basics atleast on a 30 ...you can still put a scale fuz on that if you feel like it later..
Old 04-10-2006, 03:33 PM
sownare

I agree that a beginner should start out with a decent .30 ARF. In terms of scale helicopter, what is your opinion on companies such as Verio, Hirobo, Century, Funky and ThunderTiger? Are there any brands I should stay away from? Thanks guys for all your input!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Christopher J

My money would be on Vario (biased huh?)

Seriously though strart off with a good 50 size heli like the Raptor 50, Century Raven 50, Hirobo Sceadu 50 or something along those lines. Get your flying skill down pat and then consider putting that 50 ship in a fuse. After getting a scaler under your belt move on to something bigger, take your time.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:48 PM
sownare

I like the idea of starting off with a .50. The size gives me more options for fuses. I guess you can't go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned. Does a fuse change the flight characteristics of the boom-and-pod heli?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Helijack

The Raptor 50 is a great machine to learn on and you have several fuse choices from FunKey. Scale birds are heavier and thus 'sluggish' compared to 3D machines, kind of like a sports car to a luxury sedan.

Yes, the larger the heli, the more stable. Also the larger the heli, the larger the price tag for ALL parts. Also consider that you will crash in the beginning much more often than later, you don't want a scale ship in the beginning, learn on something like a Raptor where replacement parts are inexpensive and easy to get.

"Are scale helis worth it?" In my book I would rather fly a scale than a pod and boom, same goes for airplanes. I get great joy in making a model look like a minature real thing.

You might also want to check out scalerchelis.com, it is a scale helicopter devoted site. Lots of great people, pictures, and information, several come over here also.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:51 AM
BarracudaHockey

Check out my gallery I'm building a 60 sized scaler. A 1970's vintage Kavan Jet Ranger.

You want to over power a scaler but with that being said, 50's are over powered 30's to begin with so you're good there.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:43 AM
sownare

Yup . . . I'm going to go out and buy a scale Cobra. I know I should first get a ARF. But I'm just a mere mortal. I'll post pics later!
Old 04-11-2006, 11:57 AM
sownare

Hello Barracudahockey,

Where can I find pics of your scale heli on the club website? Thanks . . .
Old 04-11-2006, 12:26 PM
BarracudaHockey

Check my gallery here on RCU, under my post click the gallery button.

Its still in early stages.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:19 PM
sownare

The Raptor 50 looks a beautiful bird! I'm sure your Jet Ranger is going to turn a lot of heads when it'd done. I still remember a completed model of the Jet Ranger done exactly in "SantiniAir" fashion hanging from the ceiling of Robin's Hobby in Glendale, CA. Hopefully, it found a decent home it deserves. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Gobig911

Yes scale helis are worth it. You have obviously got to take much more care when flying it and its a bit more stressfull, but the sight of it is awsome. speaking of sight, with a scale heli, its much easier to tell the orientation of the heli in flight due to the fuselage. I just got a funkey hughes 500D fuselage for my raptor 50 and I'm very impressed. The quality is outstanding. There is a pic in my gallery, and I will be adding more. If you have any questions feel free to ask.