Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Are Fiberglass Fuses Repairable?

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Are Fiberglass Fuses Repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:32 PM
sownare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Fiberglass Fuses Repairable?

If there's a scratch or slight tear on a fiberglass fuse (the boom), is there hope? How do cope with hangar rash or flight accidents?
Old 04-12-2006, 02:52 AM
jez33

Default RE: Are Fiberglass Fuses Repairable?

yes fibre glass is a doddle to repare...ive repared a bell 222 when the boom compleatly sepperated from the main fuselage after one of the main blades disintigrated in flight...

you simple need to use 2 pack glue and use a couple of offcuts of fibre glass that you can buy from any car body repare/spray supplier's.cut the fibreglass to overlap the damages and then brush a bit of the mixed 2pack glue on the area you want the fibreglass to stick to then put the fibre glass over the damaged and glued area.i then put some more glue over the glass and put clingfilm over the top the keep the glue in and let it set.i then just sand away any unwanted glue or glass .btw this is done on the side that you dont see..to make a good reparte on the visible side now i just roughen the area a little to allow the glue or filler to stick and poor glue into the cracks ,l let it set then sand to a good profile and finish buy using filler if needed..
after that is sanded to a profile you want then you are ready to think about respraying the area.....
Old 04-12-2006, 11:25 AM
sownare

Thanks for taking the time to reply. When your refer to "two pack glue" are you talking about two parts epoxy? How is your Bell 222 holding out after the repairs? What happened with the blades. Sounds very dangerous and would like to know how to avoid such a situation. I a complete beginner. I'll post some photos of the damage I'm referring to later this day. Thank you again. Cheers!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:42 PM
sownare

Judging by the pics, should I throw it in the trash? It's a .60 Hirobo TOW Cobra.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58642.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	444378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50853.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	444379  
Old 04-14-2006, 09:04 AM
jez33

yes thats a very easy repare..my bell 222 tail came off completely from the fuselage ..i flew her many times after i repared it and you realy couldnt tell it had ever broken...
yes when i say 2pack glue i mean a glue where you have the resin and mix in a hardener or epoxy glue..i prefere the 2 pack epoxy glue that you would perhaps use to build model planes rather then the glue/resin that you would buy from an auto repare shop but either will do the job fine.i find the glue you buy from most good model shops is a bit thicker so makes it harder to drip/droop out the fibre glass before it goes hard..

the blades i had were old wood blades and i knew it was a little risky to keep the blades and payed the price for it..luckely only the fuselage was damaged as i was only a metre or so off the ground
Old 04-14-2006, 11:31 AM
sownare

Jez33,

Thanks for the info. A little care and planning and the ships as good as new! I like that!