Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

hirobos bell uh-18 or HUEY

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

hirobos bell uh-18 or HUEY

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:31 PM
classicxl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hirobos bell uh-18 or HUEY

every since my first vietnam movie i fell in love with the Huey' and next year i have decided to move up and go heicopters any way is hirobos lroquois bell uh-1b helicopter any good or is there abigger one like a 50-60 from some one else i plain on saving $3000-4000 so whats a good brand with this model.

And are there any videos of a r/c bell uh-1b
Old 01-02-2007, 03:19 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: hirobos bell uh-18 or HUEY

Have you flown heli's before?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:28 PM
classicxl

no but being a long haul truck driver its going to take more time to learn how to fly anyways and i want a scale helicopter not one like a raptor i plain on getting lots of lessons also so i don't end up going down down in flames
Old 01-02-2007, 04:46 PM
BarracudaHockey

I applaud your enthusiasim but I'm going to warn you anyways. A large scale Hirobo is not the helicopter you want to be starting out with. I've been flying helis since before we had gyros and I fly nearly every weekend, burn a case of fuel a month, and I still get the shakes every time I fire up by Bell 230 just knowing the cost and work involved.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:27 PM
darthdrk

boy, I still get the "willys" flying smaller scale like helibodies on my T-rex/MX-400 and my micros. If youre not yet an accomplished pilot, I would not advise scale at all. They look good yes but even the slightest mishap can be a real bummer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87590.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	589088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13273.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	589089  
Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 PM
classicxl

so even if i got lessons from a trainer and a tainning stand still don't buy right.are helicopters like the raptor that much easier to fly .if i got a helicopter like a raptor i would still buy a huey anyway i just thought instead of wasting my money i would buy the huey first and take as much time as i need to fly it. i think it would take me at least a year to get it of the ground to me if it takes longer i don't realy care no rush to me i have my whole life to learn how fly it the right way. Is their a big price differance between a raptor .50 or 60 from the hirobo what ive seen there about the same.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Christopher J

Scale helis can be a hadfull at times. Your money is best spent learning on a pod n boom heli like a Raptor 50 or better yet a Hiribo Sceadu 50. It should be easy to put it into a Hiribo fuse. When you're learning to fly you ARE GOING TO CRASH a few times. I only know of one guy that didn't crash while learning to "fly", or basically hover. Once he started foward flight though......he did crash. Repairing a pod n boom is much easier and cheaper then doing glass work, having to repaint, ect...... If you have the money, get yourself a good pod n boom heli and the needed equipment to learn on. While your learning to do set up and fly buy your fuse and work on it to the point fitting the mechs, like scuffing the body, working down/filling the seam, installing lights, fuel proofing and installing your wood work.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:36 PM
classicxl

so the sceadu evo 50 would be better then a raptor 50 and i could down the road put a scale body on still down the road if that right sounds good .
Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Christopher J

Yes, that should get you going it the right direction.

Regarding your question in your first post about other 50-60 size Hueys.......yes there are. I have a Vario UH-1D Huey. With the blades out it measures about 6ft from blade tip to tail. If you decide to go bigger it's a nice model to fly. Very stable.

Looking at your screen name, you don't by chance drive a Frieghtliner Classic do you? I used to drive myself, I miss my truck sometimes.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:52 PM
BarracudaHockey

I saw some of Daryll Spayberry's Varios at Mulberry back in November, all electrified. VERY NICE and I like the sound and lack of belching smoke better. The batteries probably cost as much as a 50 size heli though.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:35 PM
slider46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see your a long haul trucker, maybe you would be better off with a small electric powered heli like the blade cp pro. The are small and you could keep it in your rig and during the down time get some time to practice hovering and work up to flying eventually. parts are cheap and they are easy to repair. At 19.5" long it would be easy to store on your rig. A scale heli is NOT the place to start but a goal to shoot for when learning how to fly a heli... Even ta bigger Trex size heli would be easy to travel with, plus you can charge your battery packs while on the road... Just an option to get you flying sooner...
Old 02-01-2007, 03:26 PM
111NELLY

you would be better with a indoor heli first to get you started.but i warn you patience is a virtue. i have been flying heli,s for a long time .and every time i fly i am still learning.slow process but very rewarding.go get your uh1.very nice heli. regards helinelly....
Old 03-11-2007, 01:40 PM
HELICOPTERFLYER
Banned

i guess you gotta love that huey. wheew.