Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

homebuilt LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:08 AM
RHYNO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: homebuilt LAMA

Its the gearbox on the second stage that I have no info on, so don't know where to start....so was going to just buy it...
Old 06-13-2008, 03:43 AM
tjmackey

wiz310, great info. I have used the dogbone joints from rc cars for tail drive shafts before, could you show pics of the tail gearbox, iv'e used the old hirobo tail gearbox on my projects, but id like to see your ideas on building one, this may make things easier in the future as the hirobo box is getting hard to find[]
Old 06-13-2008, 03:56 AM
tjmackey

RHYNO, the gearbox on the mw54 is just a 2 stage box, on the mw44 they use a planetary box, the mw44 puts out about 7.5 hp at 6300rpm, and has a 9 to 1 ratio. The bearings/Gearbox are lubricated by the oil/fuel mix and air bleed from the gas producer keeps them cool, Hope this info helps
Old 06-15-2008, 10:02 PM
underthefloor

Does the feathering and flapping change the gyroscopic preccesion angle? Are the controles offset by 90deg or do you have to adjust them bassed on the amount of feathering?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:50 AM
tjmackey

Underthefloor, Nothing can change the phase of gyroscopic preccesion, it will always act at 90degrees from an input. The leadlag and flapping in the multiblade system is there to allow the blades to take there natural course, to reduce stress and torque couples wich would otherwise happen in the blades. The blades have freedom to lead/lag because as a blade rises or lowers due to an input, the blade requires to speed up or slow down due to conservation of angular momentum. When a blade rises (freedom to flap) The tip of the blade becomes closer to the rotating axis, as energy is always conserved, the blade is forced to increase its speed to retain energy, if a blade lowers (remembering coning angle) The distance from the tip to the axis is increased, so the blade must slow down, The concept of conservation of angular momentum can be demonstrated by an ice skater, if they spin in a circle and then extend the arms the rpm will decrease, if they pull the arms closer to the body the rpm will increase to retain the energy disregarding friction.
On a two blade system the blades are free to teeter as a unit (as they are 180deg apart) and the high and low blade cancel each other out, however on a multiblade system such as a 3blade head, the blades are all at different stages of there cycles at any one time, so the freedom to flap indipendently and lead lag indipendantly allows them to do there job without affecting each other.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 PM
underthefloor

The ability of the blades to feather as they flap means that the pitch of the blades is not directly linked to the swash.

This is how I understand it: If you move the cyclic forward, the blades will have maximum pitch at 3 oclock and a minimum pitch at 9 Oclock(assuming counter clockwise spinning). A coupled moment is applied at 12 and 6 causing the blades to flap up at 6 and down at 12. With the feathering, the pitch of the blades decreases relative to the swash at 6 and increases at 12 which should cause the heli to role slightly to the left as it pitches forward.

Im planning to convert a honey bee king 2 to flybarless without electronic stabilizing and am trying to get a better understanding of how the flapping and feathering will affect it.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:40 AM
tjmackey

Well, if the swash tilts forward, the blade at 3 will have max pitch on a clockwise system and 90 deg later when the blade is at 6, is when full deflection will occure, as in the rear of the disk will tilt up, My pitch arms on the blade grips are directly linked to the swash and the pitch arm is on the leading edge side of the blade, so when a given blade is a the 3 position the pitch arm actually receives full input from the rear of the swash which if the swash is tilted forward the back of the swash will be tilted up, giving max pitch to the 3 oclock blade, then as I said full deflection of the blade will happen 90 degrees around at the 6 oclock position tilting the disk forward. I have my swash actually around 45 degrees to allow the rods to go straight up to the blades however my phase angle is still set a 90, as in when I put forward input the 3 oclock blade receives the input.

What I mean when I say the head feathers as it flaps is, as the blade flaps up, due to the position of the flapping hinge, pitch angle is automatically reduced and vice versa, this is a function of the rotor head that helps to dampen the flapping. It does not require any extra mechanics to do this.
If you have a look at the pics of my head youll notice there are only 3 rods off the swash to the blades, and a swash driver.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 PM
flycc
Banned

ORIGINAL: mrblonde

Damn thats impressive, how much of that is built from scratch?

[link=http://www.rcroll.com]all kinds of rc helicopter[/link]

[link=http://www.flashlightcool.com]flashlight[/link]

[link=http://www.game4box.com]Cheap Video Games[/link]
Old 06-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Eyal M.

Hello guys,
I see you are interested in building Alouette/Lama. I'm scratch building a 1/4 scale Alouette II and published a build thread at - http://www.scalerchelis.com/phpBB2/v...hp?f=17&t=9321

I designed and created 100% of the parts except engine, blades and standard bolts. All is made with small lathe and simple mill (even no DRO) and I do all hundreds of aluminum welding points with a simple torch.

Regards,
Eyal.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:37 AM
tjmackey

Eyal M. Looks like an ok project
Old 03-02-2009, 04:44 AM
tjmackey

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

preflight inspection
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52230.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1148404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55325.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1148405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44811.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1148406  
Old 03-02-2009, 04:59 AM
tjmackey

[img][/img][img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11939.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1148411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54094.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1148412  
Old 03-16-2009, 02:54 AM
alexdrift

hey
nice heli, try doing some 3d wiith one of those
lol!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
tjmackey

I think maybe ill try 4D someday
Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 AM
alexdrift

lol
Old 03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Peter Wales
My Feedback: (1)

If any of you guys want full size 1/5 scale lama dwgs I have them. A pm with your e-mail will get them sent to you