Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Chinook scale build

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Chinook scale build

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chinook scale build

TJ Mackey, you are one crazy azz genius. God luv ya bro. That is the coolest project I have ever seen. Just found the thread and dying to see more. As they say in my business. You got the balls like the bull. What a fantastic accomplishment. Got to love the guys who take it upon them selves to do something like this. Just amazing.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:41 AM
tjmackey

Thankyou, Condor060

Iv'e been having a little difficulty finding the best settings for c/p range -? to+?, and if I should use the yaw gyro in heading hold or not. At the moment the c/p is 0 to +10, and im planning on changing that to -3 to +10. I haven't yet flown with heading hold as im not sure how it will behave?[] maybe a tandem expert could give me a hint so then I can really start flying around properly.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

I have never been involved with a tandem rotor system before so anything I say is pure guess work but I would think your C/P range (-3 to +10) is a really good start. That’s about what I fly all my scale helis on. I wouldn’t think it would much different no matter how many rotors you have.
Heading hold for yaw would be a hard call for me. I am an old guy and started flying helis in the late 80s so heading hold feels weird for me. With that being said, If I was ever going to use it this would certainly be the place. You have a lot going on in that ship and taking advantage on current technology would be a wise move in my opinion.
Have you ever been to www.ScaleRCHelis.com I just found their site about a week ago. I have to tell you that they are the most advanced scale builders and pilots I have ever seen. These guys have 7 ft AH-64s that are unbelievable.
I spent about 6 hours cruising their site and my wife had to come in my office and wipe the drool from my desk.
The have some of the worlds most advanced builders and technology and they would really love to participate in your amazing build. If this was my build I would most certainly start a thread over there.
I will be following your build no matter where you place it and again, just an amazing task.
Fred
Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 AM
tjmackey

Have just ordered new joints for the transmission shaft, I noticed quite a bit of wear and backlash in the original joints. The new joints are the universal type and have needle roller bearings so Im hoping these will provide a longer lasting solution. The joints I had originally used were rated for over 3times the nm of torque however did not seem to live up to their claims. I should get the new couplings tomorrow

I have also upgraded the radio and played with a few settings eg Pitch and DPitch to adjust the hovering attitude.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:26 AM
tjmackey

Today decided to remove the Differential pitch trim servo today as it has become unneccesary. The DP can be easily trimmed using the radio without the added mechanical complication of the slide mech and the bell cranks, Now both towers are clean ccpm, no mechanical mixing here anymore, I'll just have to put my trust in helitronics. I have noticed however, that the helitronics does not allow any trimming of the elevator servos on r1 or r2 when the elevator function is not used, this means mecanical trimming by adjusting rod ends, I noticed this out at the field when the body was fitted, and could not make any quick adjustments there.[:@]
Old 11-04-2010, 03:02 AM
alexdrift

yeah less mechanical is always better, oh hope your helitronics unit doesnt stuff up. i have heard these things seem to always incur problems maybe you got a good one
Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 AM
tjmackey

LOL, Ill have to trust the helitronix, I seem to me making progress taming this thing, I am able to hover it inside the workshop without too much trouble, I will contine testing on the pitch axis tomorrow
Old 11-16-2010, 03:38 AM
alexdrift

thats grouse, so it wont be long till your pounding holes into the sky with that thing
Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 AM
tjmackey

Hope so, I discovered why the pitch axis has been so active, Turns out there is about 7 degrees of differential pitch there, I will take this back to about 3 deg total were I thought it was[X(], then I'll play with the gyros a little more and hopfully it will become quite tame. At the moment the aileron, rudder, collective all seem nice, just have to sort out the pitch axis[:@]
Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 AM
tjmackey

Pitch axis is still a little odd, It definately reacts differently to the aileron, this makes sense as the aileron is cyclic and the differential pitch is a collective thing. I'm starting to believe that this is something ill have to get used to, I have experimented with mixing a little elevator to smooth things out however I'm not convinced this is neccessary. Any Input from other tandem enthusiest would be great
Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 PM
alexdrift

The input from another tandem rotor enthusiest would be grouse, because whene this problem is ironed out the bird will be up and flying circuits in no time
much appreciated

and tjmackey
its a great scaley
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 AM
tjmackey

Still sorting out the differential pitch sensitivity issue, I think it may be a servo resolution issue as the DP moves very little on each rotor only about 3degrees total pitch change and this equates to about 1.5mm of movement on the swash on each rotor. I cannot move in on the servo arms to increase the servo travel as I already need all the movement I can get. I have tried this afternoon using the DP only on 1 rotor as this doubles the movement and still equals the 3 degrees of total differential between both rotors. Will test this tomorrow.[]