Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

trex 450 with 4 or 5 blade head

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

trex 450 with 4 or 5 blade head

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:59 AM
whirlybird77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trex 450 with 4 or 5 blade head

Hey guys, I am trying to make my T-rex 450 a Scale MD500E. I built the fuse and flys great with stock flybar head. Can I put a multi blade head on with out buying heli command or other stabilization system? I have been flying for 4 years now, and i keep hearing that I will need a alot of extra electronics for a multi blade head. thank for your help.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 AM
gpclassic

Default RE: trex 450 with 4 or 5 blade head

Some will tell you that you Don't need any extra stuff

I personally Pulled the Head right back off my Mini Titan because the Extra two blades made the heli respond like it was in slow motion

it's all prefrence I guess

I have one for you if you want it, as I won't be putting it back on the Heli it's brand New and installs in 10 Minutes

[email protected]

Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine that flies scale has been flying a 4 blade head on his trex 450 for over a year now with no extra electronics. He added some wieght to the nose to help with it ballooning in forward flight thats all.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Bxcar32

That ballooning up on forward flight that you refered to is an aerodymanic indicator that you're outflying your rotor system. When you fly to fast you will reach retreating blade stall (look it up if you need to) and your helicopter will loose lift on the retreating blade side of the rotor system. This section stalls. (hence retreating blade stall) At this point your rotor section does not produce lift. Due to gyroscopic procession, this will take effect 90 degrees later in the direction the rotor system travels, and your helicopter will pitch up. So, you fly to fast, the retreating blade looses lift approximately perpendicular to the centerline of the aircraft, the stall effect is felt in the aft section of the rotor system due to gyroscopic procession, the helicopter pitches up and you loose speed. If you keep flying this fast your aircraft will continue exhibiting this trait.

Confusing? Absolutely. Helicopters are not airplanes. If they were, the pitch, roll, and yawinputs would be called pitch, aileron, and rudder inputs. A common misconception here when airplane guys talk about helicopters.

ORIGINAL: ea01bg

A friend of mine that flies scale has been flying a 4 blade head on his trex 450 for over a year now with no extra electronics. He added some wieght to the nose to help with it ballooning in forward flight thats all.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Tr1n1ty

Excellent explanation of a confusing phenomenon, Bxcar. Think you throughly frightened the guy now, but I liked yor little piece.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:36 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I am curiouse why he added the weight now he flies scale, I've rearly seen him going very fast with it.