Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Problem with Red Tailed Hawks in my back garden

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Problem with Red Tailed Hawks in my back garden

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problem with Red Tailed Hawks in my back garden

Actually the Funkey is about a 1 1/2" longer than the RCAerodyne Hawk.

Tried to come up with an apples to apples comparison twixt the two JayHawks in attached Word file. Did not include differences such as the supplied air crew, CNC aluminum functional oleo LG struts for all four wheels, etc. where the RCAerodyne JayHawk has the edge.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post14019527

Old 01-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Sentinel
My Feedback: (221)

Hoverup:

You couldn't ask for a better friend than a Red Tail, if you have a Bird Feeder, soon or later you will have Mice coming by for left-overs.

This guy will clean them up for you, until then he gets hungry and grabs a Dove every now and then, birds get hungry just like people do.

Doves multiply alot faster than Red-Tails, I would sacrifice a few Doves anytime for a Red-Tail, I think you will too when you see mice running all over your yard.

Just my opinion!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was hoping to see a BB gun show up, or better yet a 12 gauge. Oh, I guess in this day and age that would not be a viable solution! Too bad.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Hoverup

ORIGINAL: Sentinel

Hoverup:

You couldn't ask for a better friend than a Red Tail, if you have a Bird Feeder, soon or later you will have Mice coming by for left-overs.

This guy will clean them up for you, until then he gets hungry and grabs a Dove every now and then, birds get hungry just like people do.

Doves multiply alot faster than Red-Tails, I would sacrifice a few Doves anytime for a Red-Tail, I think you will too when you see mice running all over your yard.

Just my opinion!
We think the same as you. Our Red Tail even has a name. We call him "Harry" after Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry. We have no mice or rats thanks to Harry and the pigeon population gets thinned by two or three a week (not a great loss IMHO). When we set up a feeding station we knew Harry would be coming and were glad to see that he found our feeding grounds. We host several migratory species since we are smack in the middle of the major north/south flyway on the central northern shore of the Gulf of Mexico.

The Red Tailed Hawk thread title was only meant as a way of introducing a new USCG JayHawk model to market.

Cheers - Boyd
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Navy_1

1st why would you want to get fid of such great bird

2 and i "" Although once a highly persecuted species by virtue of the fact that it was usually and falsely blamed for depredation on poultry, (due more to it’s conspicuous presence around farms than to it’s actual feeding habits). This false belief is how this species earned the now little used nickname of ‘chicken hawk’. Today this is a very common species across its wide range. Due in no small part to it’s very adaptable nature. The Red- tailed Hawk has certainly made a most spectacular comeback since the dark days of the hawk bounties. This species is one of the most visible and well known soaring hawks in North America today. The Red-tailed Hawk is, in fact the ‘beginners bird’ of choice for novice falconers throughout most of North America, and it is an equally popular bird among various nature centers for use in educational demonstrations. However dispite these facts it still remains listed by CITES (the convention on the international trade in endangered species of wild fauna and flora) as Appendix II or threatened."

3 its a threatened species so i guess that troughs you idea out the window vertical

and this leads me to my qustion. is teh Bird attacking you heli? that i would love to see vid of thoes main rotor blades would really scare the crap out of it. it would be worth the rebuld to see
Old 01-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Hoverup

ORIGINAL: Navy_1

1st why would you want to get fid of such great bird............................
"middle content deleted to save bandwidth"

ORIGINAL: Navy_1and this leads me to my qustion. is teh Bird attacking you heli? that i would love to see vid of thoes main rotor blades would really scare the crap out of it. it would be worth the rebuld to see

Holy Cr*p - read my post just before yours and take a Chill Pill. Guess my thread title was too cerebral ( Defined: "Appealing to or requiring the use of the intellect") for some. BTW, I am a dues paying member of the National Audubon Society. Nuf' said.

Laying on the floor, laughing and typing - Boyd
Old 01-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Hoverup

Sorry for getting off topic in my own thread. Please help me keep this focused to a discussion of RC Helis.

TIA - Boyd
AMA 80393
IRCHA 3355
Major USAF
Retired
Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 AM
RedNexBilly

we had sparrow hawks out back in the farm town i grew up in,so fast and aerodynamic....not a gopher,mole or mouse was safe,i enjoyed watching them as a kid just after sun up,doing their stuff...good times    rnb
Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Hoverup

Welcome to RCUniverse rnb. Now, please, let's get back on topic

TIA - Boyd
AMA 80393
IRCHA 3355
Major USAF
Retired
Old 01-10-2010, 11:17 AM
sonsight
My Feedback: (1)

We have them here in Colorado too. They really give my sailplane a good lookover once I'm up. They never attack it, they just cruise right along side with it, and give it a once over. I find (most of the time) that once they determine it is not a threat they fly off. Fun to watch though.
Jake
Old 01-10-2010, 11:17 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

I'm not sure anymore, what IS the topic, birds or helicopters??
Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 AM
afruner

ORIGINAL: Hoverup

Scanning the buffet below...................[:-]
I'm an rc car guy, (also retired air guard , was surfin rcu, and came across this cool thread about one of my favorite birds. That inflight photo is one of the best I've seen of a red tail, and is now my screensaver. I'm curious about the blue line drawn fwd of the tail. You are lucky to be able to watch one of these do their thing!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Hoverup

If you look closely at all three pics there are clues that this thread is going to be about the USCG HH-60J JayHawk. Blue band aft just like the heli and if you look closely at the third pic you will see "USCG" amoungst the breast feathers.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 AM
afruner

Cool, thanks. Sorry for mucking up your thread, I'll go back to my car stuff now . BTW my brother in law is an academy grad, spent his entire career flying rescue h-60s, and is now teaching Afghans how to fly russian helis! Thanks for the pics!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

I have a 4 blade head laying around, this might just be perfect for it.....
Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Hoverup

ORIGINAL: afruner

Cool, thanks. Sorry for mucking up your thread, I'll go back to my car stuff now . BTW my brother in law is an academy grad, spent his entire career flying rescue h-60s, and is now teaching Afghans how to fly russian helis! Thanks for the pics!
No apology required. Send my best to your brother in law. My grandson is a USAF A-10 Warthog driver and just about to redeploy back to Arizona. It runs in the family.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 PM
RC Aerodyne

Hey Boyd anything new?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Hoverup

Jesse - I am in the hold mode waiting for two events.

First will be the initial set of Callie-Graphics for the USCG JayHawk. I wll share pics of these showing where they go on the fuselage. This will be a draft of the graphics portion of the owners manual that I am writing.

Second will be the arrival of the production kit which will be used for the mini-build thread. It will serve as a guide for all three Hawks (USCXG, USN and USA)

Cheers - Boyd
Old 01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any Idea on when the production kit will be out?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Hoverup

I'm told not more than two-three weeks. They are coming via container ship. All the volume orders from overseas (in this case mainland China) are shipped by this means to RCAerodyne in Washington state. I'll be certain to post a notice when the container arrives at the stateside warehouse.

Cheers - Boyd[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 PM
RC Aerodyne

Cool thanks alot Boyd.I to am wrighting a manual for the md 500 e 500 size so i know how hard this can be>Thanks though for trying to make these helis as close to real as possible.I was in HS-6 for 4 yrs as an aviation ordnanceman so i have alot of experience with the seahawk.I also was T.A.D. to corrosion so i have seen the different paint schemes we use on the tails.Keep up the good work boyd.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Hoverup

Thanks for the props Jesse.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 PM
RC Aerodyne

Anytime
Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 PM
katarinaconnors

Got a EC 145 and all I got for the tail is a shot piece of tail tube, a belt and idler. Can't figure it out and I can't get anyone at RC Aerodyne to help, can't seem to find anyone who knows RC. Don't know what their real business is.... Does anyone have a drawing or description of what I need and how it works. Hate to have a $535.00 kit I can figure out or get help with... Apparently they just ship stuff out the door not caring... Can anyone help? Or tell me an alternate place to get help as I know they don't manufacture these.. I don't have these problems with A main or Heliproz. If it's business hours somebody will answer your question!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:15 AM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done a couple of the belt 45 tail setups. I'll send my number and see if I can talk you through it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.