Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

balancing Thunder Tiger Ecureuil scale fuse

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

balancing Thunder Tiger Ecureuil scale fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 PM
lmeddock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balancing Thunder Tiger Ecureuil scale fuse

I have a Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 Titan. I love this bird. I bought a Thunder Tiger Ecureuil scale fuse. I put in a 3600 sub c receiver pack as the instructions suggested. I still had to add another 16 oz of lead. The Heli does static balance OK, but in forwardflight the heli does a very tight inside tuck if you turn too sharp. It will scare the pants off you. Does anybody have any experience with this bird and am I carring too much weight? The scalehelialso has a horizontal stab. It has a reverse airfoil wich causes the bird to climb in forward flight. Does this stab allow you to go with less weight as it will raise the nose in forward flight? What about when you transition to hover? Don't I need the nose weight. Sure could use some help.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Bxcar32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: balancing Thunder Tiger Ecureuil scale fuse

Don't know as much about the aerodynamics of RC helicopters as I do about the real ones. As far as the inside tuck in a sharp turn, which direction are you turning in relation to the rotation of the main blade? You could find yourself in trouble if you are going to fast, over or close to gross weight and you do a sharp turn to the retreating blade side of the rotor system while in rotation. Try turning towards the leading blade side of the rotor system next time and see if that corrects the problem. It does sound like you might be carrying to much weight for your bird.

The horizontal stabilator on the tail of your bird is designed to have a reverse airflow around it. This design is so that the horizontal stab acts like a reverse wing for the tail, thus drawing the tail downward for a more level attitude for the pilots while in forward flight. This effect shouldn't be noticed much as you decrease airspeed to come to a hover. On a similar note, this is the same reason that the vertical tail on helicopters is actually a canted wing designed to counter act the helicopters natural tendency to spin counter to the direction of the main rotor system and provide directional stability in forward flight. This is so the pilot flys with both feet even on the pedals as it is a more natural feel in flight.

As for climbing in forward flight. Sounds like you're flying to fast and the retreating blade is stalling. This will cause the aircraft to nose upward as the stall takes effect 90 degrees later in the direction of travel of the main rotor system. This is called gyroscopic procession (aka. phase lag)

Good luck and happy flying.