Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Question...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Question...

Ihave some specific questions about a large scale build. The fuselage will be a Vario Agusta A 109 #9020 http://us.vario-helicopter.biz/shop/...ducts_id=36435

This ship will employ a 4-blade flybarless head with Skookum Robotics SK720 stabilization. Also incorporated will be Eagle Tree Telemetry, full navigational lighting, retract gear, Jewel generator, and fuel capacity for 1+hour flight. Iknow that while the flybarless and SK 720 will reduce weight and provide more main rotor power, the other options will add weight, probably more than removed.

The 87:21 Petrol mechanics and G240 motor #1002/20 http://us.vario-helicopter.biz/shop/...ducts_id=33083 are recommended for the fuse by Vario. Will this setup be sufficient enough to power this bird? Should Iincrease the engine or even put in the 90:18 mechanics #1002/21 http://us.vario-helicopter.biz/shop/...ducts_id=32819 How will this effect the performance of the heli? The Silencer system 116/99 http://us.vario-helicopter.biz/shop/...ducts_id=36240 will be installed on the unit as well, and Iam not sure if that will rob the engine of performance.

This will be no 3D wild machine. The key is for realistic scale flight. smooth response and no snapping will be priority. Iam thinking of using the 1680mm 4-blade set #404/41 http://us.vario-helicopter.biz/shop/...ducts_id=36563 rather than the 1600mm set #404/31 http://us.vario-helicopter.biz/shop/...ducts_id=36444 They both have the same chord and profile thickness, but Ithink the slightly longer length will provide better lift and a lowering of the rpms would provide more stability.

Finally, does anyone have direct experience with the JR9503, 11x, and Hitec Aurora 9? These are the three radios Iam contemplating and would appreciate any input on them or an alternative as well. Iheard the JRonly jumps between two frequencies instead of the entire band but Icannot verify this as truth nor can Ifind whether that is a detrimental factor of the system.

Iam an experienced builder of electric helis, I've flown close to this size, and if it is pod and boom, it'd never leave the garage. Iwant to get into gasser and am looking forward to this. So please, feedback, ideas, suggestions, and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Question...

sounds like quite the project.
    that is a nice machine and if vario recomends a mechs and power system, i am sure it will work fine. i would contact Joe Howard at East Coast Scale helicopters. He is the us distributor for vario helis and can answer any questions you have. he is a goldmine of info on the varios.
    also i wanted to point out that you mentioned retracts for this agusta and wanted to make sure you knew that this particular version (109 K2) is fixed gear and makingit retractable will ibvolve your own mods.
    as far as radios go, they are all very good brands and only personal preference and need for features determine which one i get.i have always been a JR guy for the last 20 yrs and never found a need to switch. i still fly with my 19yr old JR pcm 10.
    Give Joe a call.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dont worry about the JR dsm technology, it works just fine. For the cost of an 11X it will do damn near everything you need except the dishes. Its more flexable than the 93 or 9503 and you wont be sorry you bought it. Its SDCard lets you update the firmware as its modified too unlike the much more expensive 12x.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: emile Sheriff
    i would contact Joe Howard at East Coast Scale helicopters. He is the us distributor for vario helis and can answer any questions you have. he is a goldmine of info on the varios.
    I talked to Joe and have discovered that the A-109 is too narrow and small to hold the features Iwant to install

also i wanted to point out that you mentioned retracts for this agusta and wanted to make sure you knew that this particular version (109 K2) is fixed gear and makingit retractable will ibvolve your own mods.
    He mentioned that, and the only A-109 power Icould find to model after the INGENone in Jurassic Park was Thunder Tiger / Marvel Craft. It looks like Iam going to just be doing another 4-500 size electric one for that.

as far as radios go, they are all very good brands and only personal preference and need for features determine which one i get.i have always been a JR guy for the last 20 yrs and never found a need to switch. i still fly with my 19yr old JR pcm 10.
    Give Joe a call.
    ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey
    Dont worry about the JR dsm technology, it works just fine. For the cost of an 11X it will do damn near everything you need except the dishes. Its more flexable than the 93 or 9503 and you wont be sorry you bought it. Its SDCard lets you update the firmware as its modified too unlike the much more expensive 12x.
    Thanks guys. I've been looking hard at the JR11x. Ijust didn't know about the only picking two channels instead of full spread. Iguess this would only matter in crowded flying fields? The only reason Iwould pick the Aurora 9 is if Ihad the Hitec telemetric system, which is not out yet. So if I have the Eagle Tree, it comes with it's own screen you just mount on the top of any radio.

Wolf

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not sure what you consider crowded. I've used DSM2 at IRCHA and thats 18 flight stations and 900+ pilots.

Don't get hung up on "picks two channels" spread spectrum systems operate vastly differently than 72mhz single frequency systems.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah dont worry about the jr way of sending the signals,its proven.
    as far as another project, you can always do another macnine thats smaller like a 60 size nitro. the jurassic park agusta (the original movie) was an "A" model your choice on retracts for the A thru C model is limited though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey
    I'm not sure what you consider crowded. I've used DSM2 at IRCHA and thats 18 flight stations and 900+ pilots.

Don't get hung up on "picks two channels" spread spectrum systems operate vastly differently than 72mhz single frequency systems.

yeah dont worry about the jr way of sending the signals,its proven.
    Thanks guys. That alleiviates any fears of the JRglitching.

as far as another project, you can always do another macnine thats smaller like a 60 size nitro. the jurassic park agusta (the original movie) was an "A" model your choice on retracts for the A thru C model is limited though.
    Thanks Emile. Ithought it was the power because of the four blade head and retracts. Imay just have to build the fuse myself.... If Icould figure out what to do after making a plug in wood, paper, and plaster, lol. I've never really liked nitro, Iguess it's why Ijumped from electric to petrol. But a nice 600 size electric would be nice, and Icould still make it really scale.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

heh heh,i am here to tell you, you can build it big like you want to and still make it electric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

heh heh,i am here to tell you, you can build it big like you want to and still make it electric.
    I've never figured out how to make a 2 meter electric run more than 10 minutes. With the petrol and a jewel generator, Iam only limited by how much fuel Iput in it. 48 oz give a loooong run time!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you then need to get in touch with my god friend and mentor Darrell Sprayberry. He seems to have mastered the electrics and what makes them tick. he has a 1/4 scale jetranger that is electric powered.at about 36 lbs, it flies for well over 15 maybe 20 mins or so. he runs it on 12S lipos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can anyone tell me how to setup the Aurora 9 to work with an ESC. I have one of the ParkZone Edge electric. In thought I had it hooked up correctly, but I can't get it to bind. Any help would be appreciate. scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you then need to get in touch with my god friend and mentor Darrell Sprayberry. He seems to have mastered the electrics and what makes them tick. he has a 1/4 scale jetranger that is electric powered.at about 36 lbs, it flies for well over 15 maybe 20 mins or so. he runs it on 12S lipos.
    Thanks Emile. that is better than 8-12 minutes. Tell him to get in touch with me if he has a secret to powering one for 90 minutes! As near as Ican tell, I would need a loooot of batteries in parallel.