RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scale RC Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-rc-helicopters-398/)
-   -   Century scale muffler.... can't get it to fit! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-rc-helicopters-398/3777519-century-scale-muffler-cant-get-fit.html)

Michael211 01-15-2006 01:02 PM

Century scale muffler.... can't get it to fit!

Ok I need a bit of guidence here.... I have an X-Cell 60 S.T. with an OS .61 WS engine and I'm trying to install the Century scale muffler onto the engine but can't figure out how to get it to fit! [:o]

The darn thing won't bolt up flush to the engine exhaust port because it comes up against the throttle arm. It the arm was 1/4 inch shorter there'd be enough space... but it isn't and I don't see a solution here.

Can anybody enlighten me as to how to get this thing to fit and still have throttle control?

Thousand thanks ya'll! [8D]

dessoman 01-15-2006 03:12 PM

RE: Century scale muffler.... can't get it to fit!

Hi you need to move the throttle lever back so when throttle is closed,the lever is just about touching the muffler outlet.unscrew the nut to the throttle lever and repostion it then tighten back up.

Michael211 01-15-2006 11:37 PM

Hi! Ok either I'm not following you or you're not following me... movement of the throttle arm doesn't bring it into contact with the scale muffler.... the entire throttle arm is against the muffler. The Century scale muffler is a large flat rectangular affair designed to fit inside a scale fuse... as such it pretty much covers the entire right side of the engine. When bolted up though mine is in a bind against the throttle arm... position of the throttle has no bearing on it.

Am I making sense here or do I need to post a pic? This is hard to describe I guess.

Thanks!

- Michael

dessoman 01-16-2006 11:51 AM

Hi michael I would get an old muffler with the same size outlet and cut off whatever I needed with a hacksaw and use threadlock to seal it together as its bolted to muffler and engine.
doug

Christopher J 01-16-2006 11:08 PM

A guy at our field is building a heli and using a Century scale muffler. He had to use a header extention that was about 1/2 inch to keep the muffler away from the engine. You can order them at your local hobby shop or through ronlund.com or heliproz.com I'm sure.

Michael211 01-17-2006 10:14 AM

Ahhh-hahhh! I'll look into that idea further Chris.

I thought I must be doing something wrong... though I don't have the instructions for the muffler as it came off of Ebay.

Thanks!

- Michael

heli143 01-23-2006 09:20 PM

Michael,
I feel your pain.
I have the century scale muffler (30 size on an Agusta 109. What a PIA!!! If I put a header extension, then the muffler is too far out due to the side of the fuselage. My buddy Emile found a different throttle arm to put on it and made some smart bends on the rod so that it would not hit the muffler.
Check that out as an option, but it is still a big PIA!!!
You can go on the Century website and pull up manuals and instructions sheets. I downloaded the Augsta 109 manual since the fuselage was given to me (Thanks Emile;))

Best of luck to you.

Michael211 02-06-2006 10:00 PM

Roy,

Can you give me the link to that webpage on the Century Website for your muffler or fuse? I'm having problems finding a way into product documentation on the Century website.... if you have a link that works maybe I can backtrack from it to the stuff for my 60 size Airwolf fuse!

While most of this heli/fuse I purchased off of Ebay included docs, the muffler sadly did not. Actually the muffler and the 502 gyro are the only components for which I lack documentation for at this point.... for the rest of this bird I'm still seeking out miscellaneous parts like the correct Excel 60 fuel tank and I ordered a tail boom for it this weekend. Luckily all of the really expensive stuff was included in the auction... the guy had simply lost interest in completing it and was moving onto something else so he put it all on Ebay. :D

Thanks!

- Michael

Michael211 02-17-2006 09:03 PM

Chris I just received an O.S. Muffler Extension #744B that moves the muffler out 15mm and THAT seems to have solved my problem! This put it just far enough out that there's maybe 8mm of throttle arm clearance now.... perfect fit!

While the mechanics aren't currently mounted inside my scale fuse (and won't be until later this summer at the earliest), with them sitting side by side I can't see how it'd have any space issues with the side of the fuse when I'm ready for it. :D

Thanks for your help! Now I can move forward with the setting up of this monster birdie. [>:]

- Michael

heli143 02-28-2006 12:30 PM

Hey Micheal,
glad to see you solved your problem.
Sorry for the late response but I have been travelling a lot and have not checked this site often enough I guess.

for pssible future use, here is the link to the Century support page:

http://www.centuryheli.com/support/m...ml?currentid=2

take care.

Christopher J 02-28-2006 08:14 PM

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. Now on to building.