Community
Search
Notices
Schumacher Racing Discuss all Schumacher Racing products here!

rascal not running good.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:47 PM
steve1time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rascal not running good.

anyone got a rascal running propper i cant seem to get mine right if so how many turns on the hsn from closed.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
elven wizard

Default RE: rascal not running good.

Have you adjusted far from factory settings? If not what altidude to you plan to run your Rascal at. High or low ? Has your Rascal ever been running right ? or is it new from the box ? Did you do a proper break in ? Does it have the same glow plug in it when you did the break-in. If not what's the condition of the one that's in there now. Without seeing it myself, I need to know more information about your engine, then we can figure out what is going on with it. [sm=50_50.gif]

Elven Wizard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59119.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1232657  
Old 07-15-2009, 08:26 PM
steve1time

ORIGINAL: elven wizard

Have you adjusted far from factory settings? If not what altidude to you plan to run your Rascal at. High or low ? Has your Rascal ever been running right ? or is it new from the box ? Did you do a proper break in ? Does it have the same glow plug in it when you did the break-in. If not what's the condition of the one that's in there now. Without seeing it myself, I need to know more information about your engine, then we can figure out what is going on with it. [sm=50_50.gif]

Elven Wizard
hi elven yes i have adjusted from factory settings i live in the uk so we are in mid summer here(not very summery actually)i have run it in properly as it was new from the box i did change the glow plug to a medium to hot using a 16% fuel.the main problem is i am a bit scared of cooking the engine by over leaning.back to where i am at at the moment is the car as trouble starting then when i get it started it runs ok now but what i wanted was somone to say i have a rascal running perfect and my hsn is $%$ amount of turns from closed ect.ect.i know every engine is differant but i would have a good starting point. thanks.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
elven wizard

It is so important that you not over lean the engine. Having it run slightly rich is a safer bet. Did you do engine break in by the book? Can you tell me what your glow plug looks like at the end of it, the outer coloring of the glow plug. Is the coil wire broken ?

Elven Wizard
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2009, 04:06 PM
steve1time

ORIGINAL: elven wizard

It is so important that you not over lean the engine. Having it run slightly rich is a safer bet. Did you do engine break in by the book? Can you tell me what your glow plug looks like at the end of it, the outer coloring of the glow plug. Is the coil wire broken ?

Elven Wizard
yes absolutey by the book,the glow plugs been in for about 2 weeks now and ive been running the car rich but now its time to get it tuned properly ive got the car rich cus there's fuel coming out the back.ive tried to lean the lsn but im not sure how far to go.i turned it clockwise until the revs increased and the engine started to stutter "like a machine gun" then i turned the idle down to compensate,fuel was still coming out the back so i kept turning till i stopped seeing a improvement then i turned the needle anticlockwise 1/8th of a turn to richen a touch and im still seeing fuel and smoke out the back.so now i plan to lean the hsn a touch,is it safe to do so?cuss this is my first car im being a bit careful maybe at bit to much.but we will get it there i think.thanks
update: passes pinch test 3 secs with quite a bit of rise in rpm's"does this mean lsn is still to rich,but it might balance out as i lean the hsn right?"
idle rises and falls a touch "could it be i need hotter glow plug"
Old 07-16-2009, 04:27 PM
steve1time

its still hard to start how come? sometimes it takes about 20 or so pulls.ive watched a few vids showing how to correctly prime and im doing it right whats wrong?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:18 PM
elven wizard

Start all over. put a new glow plug in. Turn the settings back to factory. Re-start. Do a few runs making sure the engine is warmed up. While the engine is running turn the high speed mixture in slight increments to lean. and test. If there is still a problem your carb could have a air leak.

Elven Wizard
Old 07-17-2009, 10:17 AM
steve1time

you know what mate i thought it might be a leak when it stops raining here in westmidlands i will go back to stock settings then we can go from there ok.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM
steve1time

update: i've got my new glow plug in it is a  medium running on 16% fuel.I have turned my hsn and lsn to stock "hsn between 2 and 4 1/2 turns and lsn 4 1/4 to 3 turns. to get the car to start i had to adjust the hsn to 2 1/4 turns and lsn 4 turns.The car is still a pain to start though.where we go from here elv?and cheers for the help.btw the wire on the plug is pretty dark and theres quite a bit of fuel on there.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:05 AM
elven wizard

It sounds like it might be adjusted overly too rich. Lean up a bit more in small increments.

Elven Wizard