Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Skystreak 32 - wing???

Old 11-10-2008, 07:59 AM
yojoelay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skystreak 32 - wing???

Hi,

A mate gave me some plans for a very sleek little plane called a Skystreak 32. The plans were pull-outs, published in the August 1986 Radio Modeller (appears to be an English publication), designed by Graham Winch. Unfortunately the build article did not come with the plans. The plane is a 32 inch wingspan hand lauch job, desgined for a .09cu. in. engine and 3-channel (no rudder) RC.

I've started banging it together - fuselage is in front of me now in several clamps, the tail plane has come together nicely, but the wing is giving me fits. The wing is fully semitrical, with a straight trailing edge and a one piece 'I-beam' spar which is cracked at the wing roots so it sweeps back slightly. The center spar is 1/8th balsa laminated top and bottom with 1/4 8 1/16th spruce, it is flat across the upper surface.

My question is - how do I build the wing? Do I prop up the leading and trailing edges and build everything in between? There weren't any tabs on the ribs so it kind of looks that way. If anyone has the article or experience with this plane (like I said - it's a very pretty design, looks like it will go like a shot), I'd appreciate your input.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51210.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1069372   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44195.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1069373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47484.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1069374  
Old 11-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Oberfeldwebel

Default RE: Skystreak 32 - wing???

Since you have the plans, why not if available in your area,have someone who's familiar with the operation cut you a foam core
wing? You have both the root and tip ribs so it would be very easy to make templates and cut your wing.
If you prefer built up wing, it appears from the picture of the plan, that the spar is notched. I would think that you'd have to notch the ribs accordingly. Mark each rib LE and TE center point, put the ribs on the spar, don't glue anything yet, put assembly on you board and measure CP's to be parallel to board, do for each rib. With the spar in place, it'll look like an egg crate sorta. Then you can pin on the LE and TE.
Hope it works out for you.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:31 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you do some checking on the drawing and figure out a good spot to place something like a 1/4 inch sq strip as an alignment packing then you can use that pinned to the plans to form a temporary building jig. The key is to carefully figure out where it needs to be at the root and tip to avoid any unwanted washin or washout. But if you've got the plans and it shows the ribs with a center line then it should be pretty easy to measure down and draw in your "table" and then just figure out how far from the spar the strip needs to sit and draw a line from the root to the tip and that's where you align and pin down your packing strip. You may need some small right angle blocks or triangles to act as rib placing jigs to extend the rib lines up vertically from the plans but with a couple of tricks like this there's no real difficulty with building the wing supported up off the paper.

The Skystreak is a pretty slick looking design. I've got that issue and the small scale plans. You should have a sweet flying model when it's done. Are you going to cheat and add landing gear or stick with the gearless hand launch setup?
Old 11-15-2008, 02:45 AM
yojoelay

Thanks guys,

I decided to pin 1"x3/8" balsa bits over the leading and trailing edges on the plan then set everything up over top of those - I didn't take a picture of it but I think it basically gave me the jig like you're describing above. It was the first time I'd done this, the result was reasonable but some adjustments are still required. I set it up roughly in the jig then pulled it all apart, applied aliphatic resin to the joints and re-assembled it quickly before the glue set. Next time I'll just set it all up then wick in CA - that should give me more control.

Didn't think about the foam method but that would also be a very good alternative. Those small, light ribs keep cracking at the spar until they're glued up. I've never tried foam cutting before but there is a warbirds show on tomorrow and I'll ask around.

I'm going to be brave and stick with the hand launch set up - for now. We'll see how it goes.

BMathews, if you had the article close by and could scan it I'd love to have a look at it. No worries if going to be a pain.

Many thanks,

Joel
Old 11-15-2008, 10:22 PM
BMatthews

I was thinking the same thing. If I can turn it up quickly I will. Otherwise I'll keep it in mind in case I trip over it in the next few weeks.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:42 PM
geoff wise

Default Skystreak RC

hi i need the plan help
Geoff
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
scan Skystreak article.pdf (1.27 MB, 46 views)
Old 10-20-2019, 02:14 PM
BMatthews

Here ya go....
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1376
Old 10-20-2019, 04:36 PM
geoff wise

[QUOTE=BMatthews;12557921]Here ya go....
Thanks for that but I do have the 26-inch plan which is not the same build as the 32-inch. For my need the 26- inch is a standard build (if you look at the pik in this post servos in wing big mane spar
Hi I think I have it sorted.the 40" wing is nothing like the 26".
But at 26 " it is good for a 020td I make it 81sq inch. Which is just a bit bigger than a tiny bit But it is good for a 020 td

Tiny Bit see outerzone

geoff