Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

SPRAY ADHESIVE

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 PM
iaclmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPRAY ADHESIVE

Has anyone used "3M Spray Adhesive for Styrofoam 6070" to glue balsa wing skins to foam. According to the manufacturer's sheet, this glue is safe for expanded and well as extruded foam. It is supose to be permanent. I would like to hear what actual users of this product think about its performance. Thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 12:49 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SPRAY ADHESIVE

What size plane are you building? Epoxy is much better than the contact adhesives. Dan.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:06 AM
iaclmac

Thanks for your concern. However I am really interested in responses concerning the performance of this spray adhesive. Weight is always a key factor. So if I can eliminate any weight build up, I consider that to be a good thing. The size of the wing will not be more than 48". It is my opinion that the size of the wing isn't as important as the adhesive's ability to form a permanent bond bewteen the foam and the balsa.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 AM
flyngfrog

Hi, I´d use it in a King Kobra, from Sig, many years ago: could be around 1991. The instructions call for it and tell the process. I found it easy to apply and as long as I remember never had a loose spot in the wing. This wing was 60". I remember that have to be generous in the application: at least assure you get all the surface covered. Apply to the sheeting. Other foam wings I'd built with titebond (aliphatic glue) and with epoxy. All with good results: if you follow the procedure it will last and the weight is no problem.
Good luck with your project.

jose