Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

RCM 84" Flybaby

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:28 AM
JIMARRINGTON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCM 84" Flybaby

I just bought the RCM plans by Chuck Cunningham for the 84" Bowers Fly Baby and have been searching in vain for a build thread. The plans came with a copy of the article in RCM but no pictures. I am a seasoned plans builder but would still like to see a build thread for reference. Does anyone know where I might find one?

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RCM 84

Jim,
I can't help you with a build thread, but I might be able to offer a little first hand experience. I've built two of these planes in the past six months or so. One for myself, and one for a friend. The red and white one is mine and is powered by a YS 110. The red and yellow one is my friends and is powered by a DLE 30. They both fly really well. RS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cz79765.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1525388   Click image for larger version

Name:	wu60429.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	1525389  
Old 10-30-2010, 04:52 PM
SleepyPete

Just a quick question on how long it took for the plans to arrive from RCM. I ordered the Boeing F4B three weeks ago and have heard nothing. Perhaps I'm being too impatient.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 AM
JIMARRINGTON

Pete,

It took about 3 weeks and then they notified me by email that the plans had shipped. After that it took about 4-5 days. Give them a little more time I would say.

Jim
Old 10-31-2010, 08:30 AM
JIMARRINGTON

Russmall,

It was the pix of your airplane that inspired me to order the plans. Right now I am in the middle of building an enlarged Ugly Stick. I downloaded the plans for it off the internet years ago and enlarged them to 80ish wingspan. Plan on using a Ryobi 31cc on it. Was also thinking of using the same engine on the Flybaby but looks like it may be too long. Do you think a converted 25cc homeliet weedie would fly the flybaby with enough power for aerobatics? Also, the article says the plane will weigh 10 lb. This seems a little light to me. How much did yours weigh with the DLE 30 on it?

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,
I wouldn't worry about the 31cc being too long, because you can always move the firewall back if needed. I had to do that by about 1/2 inch with the DLE. I'm not familiar with the Homelite 26cc as far as weight and power, so I can't help you there. My friends plane with the DLE came out at 12 Lbs. and flys great at that weight. Plenty of power and lands very easy. RS
Old 11-02-2010, 09:57 PM
SleepyPete

Thanks Jim -

Since I'm working on a Harmony design I picked out of a UK mag last summer, its best the plans for my next project not arrive too soon. Guess I'm just used to a more rapid response via the web - even an acknolwedgement of the order would suffice. I've had my credit card number stolen on the internet in the past - makes one cautious.