Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

First semi-scratch, source of wood

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

First semi-scratch, source of wood

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First semi-scratch, source of wood

Hello all,
I picked up a Tiger 60 at an estate sale, and it turns out its not complete. It's missing the entire fuse and tail group. When I priced the replacment parts it turned out to not be worth it.

So, since I have all the plans and the full wing, landing gear, hardware, etc, I though I would give scratching the fuse a try.

Would a hollow core door-skin work for the fuse sides and formers? It should be 1/8".

Thought they would be an inexpensive way to get started vs buying 1/8" light ply.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 11-20-2010, 10:14 PM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: First semi-scratch, source of wood

The door skin would probably work but it would be a lot heavier than the 1/8" lite ply. Here's a source for lite ply: [link=http://www.nationalbalsa.com/category_s/141.htm]http://www.nationalbalsa.com/category_s/141.htm[/link], if you decide to go that route. Their prices seem reasonable.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for that link!

Thats a lot less the some of the other suppliers I have found.

Bill .
Old 11-20-2010, 10:40 PM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

No problem Bill, glad to help.

I recently placed a couple of balsa orders with National and they seem like a decent company to do business with. Shipping prices where also reasonable.

RG
Old 11-21-2010, 07:38 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also look for a local supplier of lumber, hardwood and plywood. You'd be looking for Italian 1/8th bender board. It's made of poplar and seems identical to lite ply. Around here, it can be had for about $16 for a 4x8 sheet. Failing that, you might find a scrap or 2 from a high end cabinet shop that does some curved work and uses the Italian bender board. Hope that helps.