Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Building a Boeing 737-600

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:54 PM
comjets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Boeing 737-600

Hello

I am planning to build a Boeing 737-600 (of 1 – 1.5 meter wingspan). I have been looking everywhere for a detailed plan to buy but all I get is some 3 view outlines like on Boeing website. I liked the airline 301 from www.edfmodel.com but the cost has encouraged me to try building one myself from scratch. I am an expert computer user with no experience in CAD programs. Will this drawing: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPrevie....cfm/ID/184794 help in printing the rib structure to be later transferred on to balsa wood? If yes, which of the available program options I should try? (the one with a better learning curve). Where can I get a detailed plan for this Boeing?

Thanks
Paul
Old 08-24-2006, 11:02 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Building a Boeing 737-600

You're willing to pay $121.00 for the drawing? I bow low to your enthusiasm! ! ! ! !

First off I would want to know just what references the author used to do his drawing. If I was to pay that sort of price I'd want to know that it was accurate to a high degree and not just a fancy 3D render that may have used one of those little 3 views as the original basis. Just because it LOOKS good does not mean that it's an accurate version of the originals.

I'm afraid that I can't help with a better source option but I suspect that they are out there if you're willing to dig a bit deeper.

Have you tried to email Boeing and see if they have anything suitable?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 PM
dolanosa

ORIGINAL: comjets

Hello

I am planning to build a Boeing 737-600 (of 1 – 1.5 meter wingspan). I have been looking everywhere for a detailed plan to buy but all I get is some 3 view outlines like on Boeing website. I liked the airline 301 from www.edfmodel.com but the cost has encouraged me to try building one myself from scratch. I am an expert computer user with no experience in CAD programs. Will this drawing: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPrevie....cfm/ID/184794 help in printing the rib structure to be later transferred on to balsa wood? If yes, which of the available program options I should try? (the one with a better learning curve). Where can I get a detailed plan for this Boeing?

Thanks
Paul
First off, the model is a 3D model. You WILL have to learn CAD very quickly if you need to get something out of it. CAD takes a while to learn. Plan on about at least a few months to really get the hang of an applicaiton to use intelligently.
Second, you're making a smallish model so I don't even think the airfoil would be correct or the wing area might not be enough. You will have to modify the wing at least to carry the plane.
Third, the drawing of the model costs far too much.

My suggestion is to get the 3 view at least from Boeing. They provide a DXF version of it which is perfect for CAD work. Most of the scale work has been done for you. ...and it's FREE! In fact, they have their entire fleet as DXF so you can pick and choose which ones you want. Now, all you have to do is to learn CAD a little bit. Or, if you're better with pen and paper, you can open the CAD file and make the plane as large as you want then so to your local printer and have them print it out.

Good luck and let us know if you need more help.

b
Old 08-25-2006, 04:34 AM
comjets

Thanks for the warm reply
I guess I will try to get the DXF file and try to get it printed on a paper.
Which is the best and easiest CAD program for airplane model building?

Paul
Old 08-25-2006, 04:39 AM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Dito on Dolanosa,

use the boeing DXFs. Fuselage cross section is round, wing profiles have been published. Since these are semisymmetrical NACAs i guess you can use them without worrying all too much....airliners are designed to fly well and carry a big load also :-)

Regards
Hank

*edit* i draw my stuff in CorelDraw. It's not CAD, but you get great results without figuriing out all too much....
Old 08-25-2006, 11:32 AM
comjets

I just downloaded "TurboCAD Deluxe v12" and got the DXF drawings from Boeing website.... now i will try searching for some good flash/video tutorials for quick start

Miniflyer: sorry I am not able to understand

1) wing profiles have been published.
2) Since these are semisymmetrical NACAs i guess you can use them without worrying all too much....
U mean the aerofoil design needed for this model is available somewhere?

Paul
Old 08-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Miniflyer

Yes, the full scale profiles are published by boeing. I'm not sure if vector dxfs are available though...
If you need the coordinates just give me a PM, i'll get them to you in text format. It's about 2 hours of work per profile to draw a file from the coordinates by hand (on the PC)...

From the way they look they should be well suitable for RC as well

Regards
Hank
Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 PM
lawsonaero

ORIGINAL: Miniflyer

It's about 2 hours of work per profile to draw a file from the coordinates by hand (on the PC)...
Takes me less than 5 minutes. you *must* be missing something.

comjets: miniflyer is saying that the wing cross-sections are known naca profiles, which can be freely found online as coordinate sets. you'll have to take these numbers and get them into your cad program and create the airfoil from them. Then he noted that since they are fairly normal airfoils, they should work well at the very different aerodynamic conditions a scale model experiences. that help clear things up?

-barrett
Old 08-26-2006, 01:03 AM
Miniflyer

ORIGINAL: lawsonaero

ORIGINAL: Miniflyer

It's about 2 hours of work per profile to draw a file from the coordinates by hand (on the PC)...
Takes me less than 5 minutes. you *must* be missing something.

-barrett

Hi Barrett

i guess so......too bad you didn't look in the "Need NACAs in vector format" thread.....i had just that problem, and noone was able to get me my profiles in vector in a format i could use. I ended up setting al the points by hand in corel, connecting and smoothing them....*****load of work!

Best regards
Hank
Old 09-04-2006, 09:27 PM
gosk8ing

Hey,

If you are wanting to build a 737-300/400, i can give you all the scale dimension of the whole aircraft for the manuals. Im not sure if boeing show you all the measurements on the online site.

Post photos if you end up building it.

Cheers
Old 09-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Miniflyer, I feel I need to correct you on one point. The fuselage cross section on the 707, 727, and 737 series of jets are not round. They acually have two different radiuses, intersecting at the passenger deck level. The bottom half has one radius, with the passenger deck at mid-circle, while the top half has a slightly larger redius with the center point about 25%R above the passenger deck. If you remember several years back, an Aloha Airlines 737 lost part of the cabin. The break occured right at the intersection of the two radiuses resulting in the loss of one flight attendant and approximately 20 feet of cabin.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 AM
dolanosa

Comjets,

Here is the place where you can get the DXF drawings. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/3_view.html As you can see, it would be easy to make cross sections of the plane for your needs. Also, may I suggest making the airfoil a flat-bottom one. It may not be true scale but you'll have an easier time flying it.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

If you contact Mike Emilio he has all the drawings for Boeing aircrafts on his CAD files, i am sure he can also help you out with drawing plans on Autocad also.....

Sammy
Old 11-23-2006, 08:18 AM
deadstick4me

hi there
i am also building a model b737 and have also experienced the problems of finding a suitable plan to work from
in the end i bought a revel plastic airfix,ive forgotten what scale it is! but have pieced together a basic plan of the wings!
again as a member has already pointed out the scale your building to is quite small so the wings might have some problems with providing enough lift!!
im looking for a suitable mechanism to use for the scale flaps (fowler)as you may notice the flaps actaully deflect down and rewards!!! sorry if ive changed the subject slightly but thought yo might like to know im in a similar situation!!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:23 PM
wendell5555

I received many drawings from Boeing a few years ago when I was about to create 3D models of all their aircracft. The drawings have loft lines too. Not sure if the 600 was in the package - but if your still interested, email me and i will check.

However, now i laser scan actual aircraft rather than go by 3-views.

Wendell
Old 01-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: wendell5555

I received many drawings from Boeing a few years ago when I was about to create 3D models of all their aircracft. The drawings have loft lines too. Not sure if the 600 was in the package - but if your still interested, email me and i will check.

However, now i laser scan actual aircraft rather than go by 3-views.

Wendell

Email sent with request. Pls check your inbox.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Props4ever

Hi Wendell,

I would like to know if you have scans for B747SP, if you do then pls contact ma as i am looking for future project ont he lines of widebody boeing aircraft, Plus check you Pms also.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:50 PM
reaaz

http://www. boeing .com/commercial/airports/3_view.html I think Boeing has revamped their site & i no longer see that link...

Does anyone have an updated link to find it on the boeing site? Or does anyone have it else where???

I like making Detailed scale cad models & hence 2d plans out of these 3 views in my free time
Old 04-10-2011, 10:58 PM
crvarvaro

Couldn't find any Boeing 737 plans, however this page has lots of rc Boeing 737 info
[link]http://www.aviationtrivia.info/Boeing-737.php[/link]
Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 AM
zipman
My Feedback: (22)

If anyone is interested this site is working again.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/3_view.html