Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Laser cutting/CAD question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 PM
weskel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser cutting/CAD question

Howdy,

I have been playing around with an Epilog laser we have at work. I took a couple ribs I had drawn in Autocad 2008 to use for testing.

First the laser does a awsome job on balsa and light ply, cutting very nicely. The first question I have is there a way in Autocad or Corel draw X4 (we use the corel draw program for the actual engraving/cutting) to make the order in which it cuts the lines to flow smoothly. To explain a little better the laser will cut the lines in the order they were drawn, this can be very inefficiant, for example it may cut a line on the leading edge of one rib then jump to another rib cut a little and then return to the first rib and cut some more, etc.

There has to be a command or function in auto cad or corel to make it flow nicely.

Also, to you Epilog laser guys, I have at my disposal a 75 Watt epilaser, what power and speed settings have you found to be the best for overall quality?

One more question, when setting up files for cutting how big of a "notch" do you put on your parts to hold them in the wood frame so all the pieces dont fall out?

I have just about got a file ready to go for the laser, just need to notch them so they stay put.

Someone on here awhile back emailed me a "low wing trainer" plan that looks great I made quite a few changes and I have enlarged it to 73" wingspan for a 91 fourstroke I have, if it works good on the laser I will share the plans.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 PM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Laser cutting/CAD question

ORIGINAL: weskel

Howdy,

I have been playing around with an Epilog laser we have at work. I took a couple ribs I had drawn in Autocad 2008 to use for testing.

First the laser does a awsome job on balsa and light ply, cutting very nicely. The first question I have is there a way in Autocad or Corel draw X4 (we use the corel draw program for the actual engraving/cutting) to make the order in which it cuts the lines to flow smoothly. To explain a little better the laser will cut the lines in the order they were drawn, this can be very inefficiant, for example it may cut a line on the leading edge of one rib then jump to another rib cut a little and then return to the first rib and cut some more, etc.

There has to be a command or function in auto cad or corel to make it flow nicely.

Also, to you Epilog laser guys, I have at my disposal a 75 Watt epilaser, what power and speed settings have you found to be the best for overall quality?

One more question, when setting up files for cutting how big of a ''notch'' do you put on your parts to hold them in the wood frame so all the pieces dont fall out?

I have just about got a file ready to go for the laser, just need to notch them so they stay put.

Someone on here awhile back emailed me a ''low wing trainer'' plan that looks great I made quite a few changes and I have enlarged it to 73'' wingspan for a 91 fourstroke I have, if it works good on the laser I will share the plans.

Thanks
Have't found a way to do that yet. Except you can divide up the work piece into sections and cut each section with a different color. Also marking the parts can take significant amount of time.
The best cut is with the fastest speed you can cut with, with appropriate power.
Notch size depends on the material, 0.1 for balsa ,.05 for ply, also depends on the speed of cutting for small notch's at high power . just have to experiment

Remember that wood purchased in volume will have a lot of variability so again be ready to experiment
Bob
Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Try using the P Edit function in AutoCAD to join the line segments together before you open up the file in Corel.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:07 PM
longdan

You could try turning the DWG files into DXF files, then cut and paste the parts back into a DWG file, then purge the drawing as this gets rid of a lot of unnecessary background detail. Not sure if it affects the order they were drawn. I would think that the laser cutter software (as opposed to the CAD software) is where you would set what order the parts are cut.
As for the tab length, I reckon the smaller the better. Around 1 mm should suffice, but I guess it depends on how many you put on each part. Locate the tabs on straight(ish) sections of the part to make it easier to cut through them with a knife.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 AM
weskel

Thanks for all the great info guys, I have ordered all my wood last night for the build, hopefully I will be attempting the cutting this week.

I will keep you posted.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Corel, you can open up the object manager and re-order the drawings by draging the individual curves up and down in the list. I would guess that the lowest curves are cut first. I don't know the effects are of grouping, but it may be possible to group some items together and move the order of the group. For example, you can group all lightening holes together and move the group to the bottom of the list, so they will be cut first. This is like using the arrange to back function. Sounds like the laser is cutting in the order of back to front.

Scott
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM
weskel

Any suggestions on power and speed settings for cutting balsa and plywood?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
limeybob

depends on the wood.
for my Epilog 75watt.

1/8 balsa 60- 100 % power, 100 % speed
1/8 lite ply 100 % power, 40 % speed
1/8 3ply birch 100 % power 25% speed

Bob
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 AM
weskel

Thanks Limeybob, that is exactly what I was looking for, the thickest I will cutting in ply is 1/8" and the thickest balsa will be 3/8" I guess for the 3/8 balsa I should probably run 100% power and 50% speed.

Thanks again
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
limeybob

Thanks Limeybob, that is exactly what I was looking for, the thickest I will cutting in ply is 1/8'' and the thickest balsa will be 3/8'' I guess for the 3/8 balsa I should probably run 100% power and 50% speed.

Thanks again
3/8 balsa will burn to much at those settings, use 50 % power and 100% speed and run twice.
Bob
Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 AM
weskel

Cool thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
weskel

Have you ever tried stackign two sheets of 1/8" balsa on top of each other so you could them twice as fast?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM
limeybob

Have you ever tried stackign two sheets of 1/8'' balsa on top of each other so you could them twice as fast?
No, very few of my jobs have sheets that are exactly identical.
FYI, don't cut over the laser's metal base, the laser will smoke the bottom of the sheet and discolor the metal.
I use a multi point support system I made myself.
bob
Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 PM
weskel

Our laser has a grid that came with it for cutting.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:48 PM
limeybob

Our laser has a grid that came with it for cutting.
If you do a lot of cutting, the grid will get coated with resin etc from the cutting, and will result in smoke marks on the back of the cut sheet.
Bob
Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 PM
weskel

Well I played around with the laser a little tonight, and ran into a couple problems.

I opened my dwg file in corel draw X4 and when i tried to test cut some pieces some of them would cut and others wouldnt.

The only thing I noticed is when I had one of the ones that did cut on the screen (in cutting position) it showed a box with i think line thickness and they showed "fine line".

Any of the parts that showed "fine line" would cut, and any of the others would not, I would send it to the laser and when I tell it to run it would just beep and nothing showed up on print preview.

I looked all over for some setting to bring up the option of "fine line" but couldnt find anything.

I even loaded a dxf of the plan, still no-joy.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
limeybob

Well I played around with the laser a little tonight, and ran into a couple problems.

I opened my dwg file in corel draw X4 and when i tried to test cut some pieces some of them would cut and others wouldnt.

The only thing I noticed is when I had one of the ones that did cut on the screen (in cutting position) it showed a box with i think line thickness and they showed ''fine line''.

Any of the parts that showed ''fine line'' would cut, and any of the others would not, I would send it to the laser and when I tell it to run it would just beep and nothing showed up on print preview.

I looked all over for some setting to bring up the option of ''fine line'' but couldnt find anything.

I even loaded a dxf of the plan, still no-joy.

Any help would be appreciated.
line widths have to be set to zero.
bob
Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Try using the P Edit function in AutoCAD to join the line segments together before you open up the file in Corel.
X-Actly!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 AM
weskel

I found the setting last night to change the entire drawing to "hairline", I will test it out tonight.

And the P edit did work perfect, thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Rocketeer10

Hi Weskel, I just finished putting the Zing 24 laser cutter by Epilog through its paces and it will be reviewed shortly in Model Airplane News. I have an online review article on the MAN site you can see here: http://tinyurl.com/4lmqyf7
I think there is a setting in one of the dashboard driver screens that allows you to set the cut order. You check the "Vector Sorting" and then select "Optimize" I bet that will make the cut process much smoother. I think it overides ther CAD's line drawing order. Also, this is a 40Watt unit and I have a complete cut power/speed chart in the online article so you can see what materials take what setting to cut cleanly with a minimum of charring. Since you have an 80watt unit, i would say your setting would be half the power or twice the speed settings of the 40watt unit! You are a luck y guy to have an Epilog to play with at work!
GY
Old 01-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Rocketeer10

As for the Epilog not cutting some lines, I do believe that you have to set the line thickness to .001 . anything over that thickness will engrave as a raster but not a vector line. In the Color Mapping dashboard, you can adjust and assign the colors and the power setting and speed. Be sure to check the vector, rastor (or Both) for combination jobs. I use a CAD program called Graphite from Ashlar. it works great. In the first dashboard "General" you set the page size "Cut window" and I entered the size of the table 12x24 inches for the Zing 24. Placing the parts anywhere in the windows does the trick. The Zing is also equipped with the Vector cutting grid which helps "suck" think materials down flap if you cover up the rest of the grid with ordinary sheets of paper. I have even cut out MonoKote stick on trim material (100% speed, 5% power) without cutting through the backing paper. very cool for making decals!
GY
[image http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery.../lg-216251.jpg image]
Old 03-10-2011, 09:00 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Nice review! I have a 40 watt that I use in my cutting/engraving business - absolutely love it!
I was wondering about the trim sheets, but hadn't gotten around to trying it yet - thanks for the tip!

By the way, once the cutting grid gets really yucky with burnt wood residue, you can clean it with spray oven cleaner. Works great, and is easier to get (and cheaper)than the Zep stuff the manual reccomends. I usually take the metal grid out of the box to do this, so as not to mess up the foam gaskets for the air vent.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Howdy,

One more question, when setting up files for cutting how big of a ''notch'' do you put on your parts to hold them in the wood frame so all the pieces dont fall out?

Thanks
I have done such numerous times in the past dozen years. Save your drawing as some very early design (but otherwise do not change one thing). Then go to DOS and use the program PlotFile. This will arrange everything in to one short immediate vicinity drawing file. Pen plotters used such, years ago. The laser cutters often use H-P plotter language to run things, same as a pen plotter. It just may very well plot out or cut everything, but as you found out it takes forever to move from here to there. The P-F will stop most of this. I think you can download for free tonight, and use P-F at CADALOG. Takes but a few seconds to organize one cutting file so it must work.

As to cutting the balsa versus plywood situation. I use .035" for all plywood and .060" for balsa, no matter what thickness. Over 3/8" thick and different story, as the wood may catch fire.

Am runing off of a 100 watter Kern laser with double optics to cut two sheets at same time.

Wm.