Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Bell Hop Scratch Build

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

Good input.

I have a few other challenges that are unique. None of the internal structure will be the same.

My plan is to keep the basic outline and moment arms the same.

The main fuselage structure, the tail surfaces,Β*and some of the wingΒ*will be built from expanded PVC foam, AKA Β*''Klegecell.'' It requires a lot of thought and planning to get it to work on aircraft. It has no grain and is not very rigid. It is also heavier than balsa or lite ply. This is my second ''big'' aircraft that will use it. The wing loading will be about one-third heavier than theΒ*kits of this size.

I completed the lofting of the fuselage side and topΒ*and haveΒ*marked theΒ*firewall andΒ*bulkhead locations using the TLAR method.Β*

The KlegecellΒ*fuselage sides will be skinned with 1/16'' balsa. Now I need to determine if I need to bother with lightning holes at this point to meet my design weight goal of 15 lbs.

For those of you who never saw this plane, here is the picture from the magazine:
    I am just curious, what is the deciding factor to use the Klegecell over a lighter building material?

Bob
    Fly It Like You Stole It!!!

ORIGINAL: sensei

I am just curious, what is the deciding factor to use the Klegecell over a lighter building material?

Bob
    It is cheap and easy to work with, it is also fuel resistant. I started using it many years ago when the price of balsa went out of sight and was hard to get. I could get a 4' x 8' x 1/4" sheet of Klegecell for $20.

The weight does not seem to be a big issue, so far, my wing weighs 1lb-12oz, without the aluminim wing tube.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You really need to tighten the chain on your saw, lol.

Bill

Got the wing saddle rough cut made in the fuselage.

Progress is slow, but steady.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75862.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	1837928  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Received the servos today. Got the HD 1501MG type from Troy Built.

Decided to add a little more dihedral in the wing. Big job filling in the old wing tube holes and drilling new ones.

Still working on getting the wing saddle mated to the wing.

Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: sensei

Bob
    It is cheap and easy to work with, it is also fuel resistant. I started using it many years ago when the price of balsa went out of sight and was hard to get. I could get a 4' x 8' x 1/4'' sheet of Klegecell for $20.

The weight does not seem to be a big issue, so far, my wing weighs 1lb-12oz, without the aluminim wing tube.
    You certainly can't get it that cheap anymore so you might want to google a material called Gator board, it can be purchased in 4' x 8' sheets, it's lighter and way more rigid then Klegecell, it has a very thin wood veneer on each side that is very smooth, glueing friendly, and can be covered in Monokote, Ultracote, glass and poly, or Stits covering an paint.

Bob
    Fly It Like You Stole It!!!

Thanks, but one of the reasons I like Klegecell is because it is not rigid, it bends easily and cuts like butter. If I need it to be rigid, I can laminate it with fiberglass or wood. Gator board does not meet my requirements.

This is my last scratch-build. I don't like building like I used to. Seems like nowI like flying way more than building.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Now at the point where I need to draw out the rudder and elevator outlines full-size. Will use 1/4" x 3/4" balsa to build the parts. Have not decided if I need to "skin" the fixed parts with 1/16" balsayet to add more strength. Leaning toward yes right now.

Name:	Nl30808.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	1839211  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

After watching the Red Green marathon for the last two weeks. I think I discovered THE SECRETs to build or repair an airplane so fast.

I've been using the wrong tools. That's why it takes me years to build a plane.

Here is a picture of me using one that I thinkRed would use to get a nice rounded leading edge.

No, no, no, this is NOT to get the leading edge to a rough shape, this is the "final finishing". I used an Axe to get the rough shape.

Okay, not really. But if you must try this at home, check with your doctor first, make sure your life insurance policy is up to date and please wear proper protection, especially a cup. Don't ask me how I know that last part, it hurts just to think of it.
    [/quot

I see a donor engine for power

I tested the HD 1501MG servos today. I like to check the centering or  "zero" by adding a 12" pointer to the servo output. The way they center is a little odd. If the sticks are moved quickly they seem to work normally. They center within about 1/4 degree. If the sticks are moved slowly, they center to around 2 degrees, then after a second or two, they jump and center to within 1 degree. I'm not sure what that will translate to during flight, it may not be noticeable to me as a sport flyer, but I would not use them for serious pattern flying.
    Steve
    Check Six!

Bare bones of the vertical stab and rudder. The stab will be skinned with 1/16" balsa. This part goes pretty quickly. Next will be the horizontal stab and elevator. Not too exciting.

I also added a 1/8" plywood reinforcement to the last rib on the wing joinertube just to give it some additional support that will not "crush" under the verticalforces on the wing.

Name:	Sq47751.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	1839867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ax73069.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	1839868  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Got the tail feathers built up. Need to sand the edges next.

Did some checking on the weight of things to see if it is going to be under or over the design limit. Looks good so far. The wing is 86" and it came in at 2 lbs 8 oz with servos and the heavy (6 oz) wing tube. The fuselage came in at 1 lb 6 oz, need to add the LG, servos, receiver, fuel tank, etc. The tail feathers are 8 oz. The engine and ignition is 2 lbs 4 oz.

So far, without covering and paint, I can account forabout 11 lbs. Still under the design weight of 15 lbs, but I do need to be careful and watch what I add from now on.

Name:	Yw66760.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	1842473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu65964.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	1842474  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Trial fit of the tail feathers.

Got some wood filler in the wing saddle to get the wing level with the stab. Will add more later after the wing halves are joined together.

Name:	Nl30759.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	1845627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79566.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	1845628  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Got the landing gear mounted. Using the LG from the Great Planes Giant Big Stick ARF. Seems like it will work great. Has some flex that will helpa lot on our grass field.

Also got the engine firewall bolt holes drilled to get the engine prop shaft centered in the cowl exit. Haven't started work on the cowl yet. Not sure what shapeit will be, could be rectangular or round.Iam leaning toward rectangular since it will be easier to build and I'm getting tired of building. Iwould like to fly this thing this year.

Name:	Tr50596.jpg 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	1847128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq46673.jpg 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	1847129  
    Steve
    Check Six!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12